Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #91
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vostro View Post
i noticed battery discharge speed depending not only screen brightness, wifi/Bluetooth/cellular usage and indexing status, but also dictionary/highlight usage and turning page frequency. therefore amazon's 6 week battery life claim without indicating to what extent of dictionary and turning page usage would be renders it actually meaningless and misleading.
I charged mine on Friday and is down 20% I should not complain as much as I do given how fast cell phones and tablets drain
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:20 PM   #92
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I charged mine on Friday and is down 20% I should not complain as much as I do given how fast cell phones and tablets drain
1/5th of battery in 2 days is unacceptable for book readers.
They're meant to be the devices that will last you almost an entire week; and the device you will want to have with you in your nuclear shelter, hiding from radioactive fallout of the apocalypse!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 06:25 PM   #93
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
1/5th of battery in 2 days is unacceptable for book readers.
They're meant to be the devices that will last you almost an entire week; and the device you will want to have with you in your nuclear shelter, hiding from radioactive fallout of the apocalypse!
1/5th battery in 2 days is 100% in 10 days, which is 3 days longer than a week.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:38 PM   #94
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
The day I get 10 days out of a kindle is the day I know I am not reading enough.

I think I read like 2.5 books over the holiday on one charge. I charged at 40% though so I guess I could have read more than 3 books if I had let it get lower. But it happened to be night time then. These were fairly long books with 400 some pages. I got not quite 2 full days on that. And it was a constant start and stop, open close cover, flip screen over and all that. I was reading in between cooking and other chores.

Even on my Voyage and old Oasis1 I had to charge like every 3-4 days.

I think its pretty clear overall that the O2 doesn't last as long as the O1 or Voyage. But it is what it is.
Heck, I just pulled my keyboard from the shelf. I charge those up once a month, all my old kindles. The keyboard had full battery still. Totally full. Sat there for 2 weeks or so. I can't recall when I charged it last, been a while though.

Since I can charge the O2 while I eat, or while I fold clothes or such thing, I don't worry about it. I just love the thing.
I am actually doing a experiment and leaving wifi on. I want to see how much time I get. I'll probably go back to non wifi, but I do like being able to go to wiki and other things whenever I want. I do look up a lot of stuff.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #95
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
1/5th battery in 2 days is 100% in 10 days, which is 3 days longer than a week.
10 day battery life, will be less than a week battery life a year from now (as batteries degrade, and firmware becomes debugged, updated and more power hungry).

My old flip phone lasted 2 weeks on a charge!

It would be awesome if the device had a solar panel back, that would charge it enough to NEVER have to recharge it!
Advert
Old 12-27-2017, 06:56 PM   #96
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
It would be awesome if the device had a solar panel back, that would charge it enough to NEVER have to recharge it!
Not where I live, at least half a year... It has been weeks since I saw the sun last time. Always cloudy. Of course summer is another matter.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:14 PM   #97
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
10 day battery life, will be less than a week battery life a year from now (as batteries degrade, and firmware becomes debugged, updated and more power hungry).
Please quit moving the goalposts, and please start being more careful about the details you post. 10 days is more than a week, you posted that it was less. Many of your posts have facts mixed with errors that negate those facts or their useful interpretation. Whenever anyone posts a (correct) correction, you heap abuse and call them liars.

Quote:
That is only slightly more likely than putting solar panels on electric cars so that they will never need recharging.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #98
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Please quit moving the goalposts, and please start being more careful about the details you post. 10 days is more than a week, you posted that it was less. Many of your posts have facts mixed with errors that negate those facts or their useful interpretation. Whenever anyone posts a (correct) correction, you heap abuse and call them liars.
Are you offended that I don't agree with you?
I'm pretty upset about Amazon's latest Kindle reader.
None of the previous readers had such a small battery capacity, and it was the main selling point for me, 'never' have to worry about recharging.

If no one complains now, we'll soon have an ebook reader on our hands, that needs daily charging, sold for $1000 (much like our cellphones nowadays?)!
Old 12-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #99
njack26
njack26 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Battery life

I am not much bothered by an ereader's battery life as long as it will last a couple of days. I plug my phone in every night and have no problem plugging the ereader in every other night when I am using it regularly.
njack26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 12:26 PM   #100
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I know with my Oasis 2 that I'll be charging it a little more often than my Voyage and Paperwhite 3, that I gave my husband. It's a trade off for me, I like everything else about my Oasis 2, larger screen and buttons. So I'll use the Oasis 2 at home and my Voyage when out. I was going to do that anyway now. The best battery life was the Paperwhite, followed by the Voyage and now the Oasis 2. If I still want something that will have optimal battery life I could always pick up another Paperwhite, on sale or used. Maybe the next Oasis will have a bigger \ better battery. I just like it enough now that charging a couple extra times doesn't matter enough to me. My husband didn't want the Oasis for that reason, he has a Voyage and I gave him my Paperwhite. To him battery life was more important, to me I just preferred the larger screen and buttons.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 02:03 AM   #101
ProDigit
Karmaniac

The larger screen is indeed a step up,
But it's more like a sales gimmick than anything else.
Book reader companies know that 7-9" is the sweet spot, and take their time getting there, much like CPU companies took their time to create a CPU that actually works without finishing a coffee cup before each command is executed..

After 7" becomes the norm, they'll sell overpriced 8", and then 9".
Although 11" has been available for some time, it's hard to get ereaders; partly due to supply, partly to the high price.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #102
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I really like that the Kindle Oasis 2 is 7 inches, any bigger might get too heavy especially if they make a bigger battery for it. I have 8 & 9 inch tablets, so I would like my e ink readers to stay lighter.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #103
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I tried the suggestion of useing airplane mode. I charged it last sunday, been keeping in airplane mode when not needing to be connected to the internet, kept the light as low as I can tolerate and 5 days later 50% drained as of this morning. I am off today so i spent a little more time reading and I can litterally see the battery bar go down. Now its down to about 20% battery life. Now amazon boast 6 weeks battery life on light level 10 and 30 minutes of reading a day not using wifi. So an hour a day I would think will at least give me 3 weeks reading. I have BARELY used the Oasis. maybe 30 to 45 mins reading after work. It should not drain this much? Compared to a cell phone and some tablets its still better charging but Amazon should have been more realistic on battery life expectations.
Try whatever light level you want that's 10 or lower and read 30 minutes a day and see what sort of battery life you get. If it's not close enough to what Amazon advertised, call CS and see what they have to say.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:15 PM   #104
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Not where I live, at least half a year... It has been weeks since I saw the sun last time. Always cloudy. Of course summer is another matter.
You don't need just the sun to charge with a solar panel. You can also use the light inside your residence to charge.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:30 PM   #105
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
So, as an update, I think I have my Oasis settled to a pretty good battery life. I charged it yesterday, and unplugged it just before going to bed. I read for about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes before falling asleep, and then for an additional hour when I woke up. With wifi on and the light level set at 9, the battery went from 100% to 94%. That adds up to about 2% for ~30 minutes of reading, or about 25 hours per charge.

I'm satisfied with that

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, koa2