Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-01-2013, 06:05 AM   #91
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle Keyboard, M92
how to rotate the screen in obuntu?
crazydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:01 AM   #92
dbj
dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M96
Hi, I'm really keen to get going with Obuntu, but I have the same problem as amelco - I can select Update Obuntu from the Obuntu boot menu, but the device reboots after about 30 secs and no installation has taken place. What does happen though, is the SD card is wiped and 3 or 4 new partitions are created - this seems to imply that Obuntu is not installed to internal memory.

I can access the usb serial console, but it is not clear where to go from there.

It doesn't help that the original installer and filessytem image are not available from Dropbox, and the code is not available to browse. I'm sure this problem could be solved with better access.

Having said that, Obuntu has great potential and I fully appreciate the work seaniko has put into it so far.
dbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2013, 04:32 AM   #93
crazydog
error
crazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toyscrazydog shares his or her toys

@dbj can you boot your onyx os?
just follow hans1 instructions in post #90 on page 6 in this thread

I think you can start with mfgtools point 7. in his post

the usb serial console is very powerful: if you have a look at seaniko7's video on the 1st page at 13:27 he uses the serial console to initialise the onyx firmware update with /init command. It didn't work for me but give it a try. I found that after using /init and cancelling that command you can use the joystick on boox again to select "boot obuntu". Then Obuntu file system is mounted @ /mnt/mmc and then you can play around with it.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:00 AM   #94
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook Touch, iPad1, iPad2, iPod Touch 4G, Pixel Qi
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydog View Post
i had the same prob when updating to newest firmware with already installed obuntu os.
it took me some time, but finally formatting sd and flashing boox firmware 1.8 did the trick (but removed obuntu os)
Could you elaborate more on steps to install obuntu? What firmware do you use to start the installation?
aruangra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #95
crazydog
error

sorry that post belongs to the first obuntu version. With the new obuntu bootloader you need mfgtool to get your onyx firmware working again.
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 AM   #96
dbj
dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!dbj , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

@crazydog: thanks, I have followed all instructions in the thread. yes, I can boot to onyx firmware. i have flashed using mfgtool to 20130717. I know what to do with a Linux terminal, but all I'm saying is that the Install/Update Obuntu command doesn't work.
I could probably fix the problem myself if I had access to the install script/code.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 AM   #97
crazydog
error

I need help

To answer my own question:
Screen can be rotated by modifying /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Section "Device"
Option "Rotate" "CCW" --> Option "Rotate" "no rotation", where CCW means counter clock wise
you get Obuntu in Landscape mode ... the prob is that the touchscreen does not rotate and the stylus imput is nearly impossible

Another question:
Code:
root@lucid-desktop:~/Documents# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
root@lucid-desktop:~/Documents# hcitool dev
Devices:
root@lucid-desktop:~/Documents# hciconfig --all
root@lucid-desktop:~/Documents# lsmod | grep bluetooth
bluetooth              49191  1 ar6000
root@lucid-desktop:~/Documents#
Bluetooth Dongle is in HCI mode. Bluetooth and bluez-utils etc. installed.
The dongle 0a12:0001 should be usb 1.1 compatible
any advice?
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 PM   #98
Kirith
schoolteacher
Kirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverKirith exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Onyx M92 +i62HD(m)+M92(m)x20+M90x13
HCI mode - that's what?
Kirith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #99
crazydog
error

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirith View Post
HCI mode - that's what?
HCI= Host Controller Interface
It is the standard communication between host (PC) and controller (Bluetooth)

hcitool allows you to configure the bluetooth devices in linux terminal
Old 09-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #100
dbj

So, I was able to eventually install Obuntu by extracting the file system tarball to the 2Gb partition created on my memory card.

@crazydog, I have also been working on screen rotation. As well as the change to xorg.conf, replace the contents of /etc/pointercal with:
Code:
0 65536 8 -65504 0 53726756 65536
This adjusts the touchscreen orientation to landscape using the linear module of tslib.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #101
rogerpiano
Connoisseur
rogerpiano began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Onyx Boox M92, Onyx Boox Max2
After two months on the availability of Obuntu (and waiting for good news from Seaniko7 ...) I would like to ask who is using it:

- What kind of use you are making of Obuntu (such as applications, which pdf reader ...)?

- How do you handle the battery level? There is a reliable indicator? (I have tried a lot but no one seems reliable)

- You can change the file Xorg.conf to improve visualization (eg grayscale instead of black and white or management of the resolution)?

I for reading continuous use S.O. original, and use Obuntu only occasionally. As far as I'm concerned I really like Xournal to read pdf, but has no bookmarks and I can not use dictionaries.
In any case between the speed of scrolling of Obuntu and the best view of the original firmware still prefer the second.

Last edited by rogerpiano; 09-16-2013 at 06:02 AM.
rogerpiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:44 PM   #102
aruangra
Connoisseur
aruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-booksaruangra has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbj View Post
So, I was able to eventually install Obuntu by extracting the file system tarball to the 2Gb partition created on my memory card.

@crazydog, I have also been working on screen rotation. As well as the change to xorg.conf, replace the contents of /etc/pointercal with:
Code:
0 65536 8 -65504 0 53726756 65536
This adjusts the touchscreen orientation to landscape using the linear module of tslib.

Could you provide the steps to install obuntu? I tried many times but unsuccessful. I am using 20130717 firmware.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #103
crazydog
error

@dbj , thank you sooo much. Now screen rotation works perfect.

I also moved my Obuntu installation to SD card, because I need much more storage.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:13 PM   #104
amelco
amelco began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruangra View Post
Could you provide the steps to install obuntu? I tried many times but unsuccessful. I am using 20130717 firmware.
@dbj: Thank you! I did exactly what you said and now Obuntu is working.

@aruangra: I am using 20130717 firmware too. I've read that you are facing the same problem than mine. Like dbj said, if you clicked on "Update Obuntu", there must be 3 partitions in your SD card. One of them is formated in FAT32 (I think) and has a size of 2GB more or less. All you have to do is to extract the content of the file "OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz" into this 2GB partition. Remember to keep the file permissions.
I did: tar -pxzvf OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz -C /media/path_to_SD_card

Now I have Obuntu in the memory card and Onyx firmware in internal memory. I can boot on both.
amelco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:50 AM   #105
aruangra
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelco View Post
@dbj: Thank you! I did exactly what you said and now Obuntu is working.

@aruangra: I am using 20130717 firmware too. I've read that you are facing the same problem than mine. Like dbj said, if you clicked on "Update Obuntu", there must be 3 partitions in your SD card. One of them is formated in FAT32 (I think) and has a size of 2GB more or less. All you have to do is to extract the content of the file "OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz" into this 2GB partition. Remember to keep the file permissions.
I did: tar -pxzvf OBUNTU.update-20130816.tar.gz -C /media/path_to_SD_card

Now I have Obuntu in the memory card and Onyx firmware in internal memory. I can boot on both.
Thank you for the advice. I finally make Obuntu (20130816) work with my M92. I tried to make the keyboard work with M92 but could not do it. I followed the instruction to activate the usb host. If any of you can use an external keyboard, please advise.

Last edited by aruangra; 09-14-2013 at 12:54 AM.