Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 03:44 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
I'm unable to read the article. It's behind a pay wall.
Try this link...

http://online.wsj.com/article_email/....html?mod=e2tw
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 03:47 PM   #17
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman2523 View Post
I think they're still way too high. They have no printing costs. ebooks should max out at 4.99 in my opinion. I just won't buy them when I can get free books from unknown authors that are really good.............not all of them but a lot of them. I'm a big sci-fi fan and i've found several that should be made into movies or series............they really are that good.
The cost of printing is minimal. There is another thread that addresses with actual numbers.

But the most of the cost of a book is paying the author and the editing, and the marketing, and other overhead costs.

For a $10 book, IIRC, the cost of printing and shipping to the bookstore was under $2.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 PM   #18
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
edited.

Last edited by spindlegirl; 12-16-2011 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Please delete
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:12 PM   #19
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post
Just for interest, here are the current prices on Amazon UK for the top 10 bestselling hardback fiction books (according to the Times weekly bestseller lists)

Code:
HB	Kindle	% Difference	Title
6.00	10.99	83	The Faithless/Marina Cole
6.00	8.99	50	Red Mist/Patricia Cornwell
8.99	5.99	-33	Snuff/Terry Pratchett
8.55	6.64	-22	Death Comes to Pemberley/PD James
8.20	9.99	22	11.22.63/Stephen King
7.00	10.99	57	The Litigators/John Grisham
8.30	9.99	20	The House of Silk/Anthony Horowitz
6.49	5.59	-14	The Sense of an Ending/Julian Barnes
9.41	9.99	6	The Thread/Victora Hislop
8.49	4.99	-41	The Time of my Life/Cecelia Ahern
77.43	84.15	9	TOTAL
As you can see, 6 of the 10 are more expensive in kindle format. (Prices for kobo books are either the same as kindle or slightly more expensive - the total for all 10 from kobo is 87.07.)
That's interesting, ok the hardback prices are all heavily discounted, but that makes for pretty miserable reading. And is exactly why I simply won't buy any newly released ebooks. I'll need to wait for them to come down in price. It'll also just encourage people to look at getting the books some other way..... no lessons learned about pricing from other digital media?
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Actually, I think Amazon (Canada) illustrates the problem nicely with the Clive book cited earlier:

Code:
Formats         Amazon Price  New from  Used from
Kindle Edition	--            $18.04    --
Hardcover	$17.78        $11.88    $9.47
The ebook is more expensive than everything, followed by Amazon's hard cover, followed by it's competitors (who are, presumably, paying a cut to Amazon), followed by used (who are also, presumably, paying a cut to Amazon). I'm not going to claim that that this is the typical breakdown, but it seems to be pretty darned close.

Not only does the ebook version suffer from little competition in the market place which (in this case) is inflating it's value but there is no option to buy lower priced used copies. To add insult to injury, you can't resell your ebook either. That means the total cost of ownership is effectively higher.

For someone who buys the latest titles with zero discount, that may be acceptable. For someone who waits for the price to drop, that is not acceptable.

For what it's worth, virtually everything that I read on my ereaders is in the public domain/creative commons or from the library because of that.

Last edited by BWinmill; 12-15-2011 at 06:19 PM. Reason: Added the word little. Ain't it wonderful how such a small word makes a big difference?
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 06:49 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thank you. I'm reading it now.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thank you. I'm reading it now.
Your welcome.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:55 PM   #23
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWinmill View Post
Actually, I think Amazon (Canada) illustrates the problem nicely with the Clive book cited earlier:

Code:
Formats         Amazon Price  New from  Used from
Kindle Edition	--            $18.04    --
Hardcover	$17.78        $11.88    $9.47
And to add fuel to the fire, this ebook is $15.99 at kobobooks.com (Canada). So how can Kobo sell the book for less than Amazon when the price is supposedly fixed by the publisher?
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #24
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
So how can Kobo sell the book for less than Amazon when the price is supposedly fixed by the publisher?
Supposedly, publishers do not engage in price fixing.

I gather from this link that, in 2009, Canada changed the penalty for vertical price fixing (the kind that you are writing about) from criminal to civil. But it still is illegal in Canada, and, I think most other capitalist countries. The US is of course an exception due to that 2007 Supreme Court ruling which, with some ambigity, legalized vertical price fixing here.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:53 PM   #25
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
News about the price-fixing 6 and collusion with Apple is now hitting mainstream media...

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-on-the-wallet
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 03:17 AM   #26
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Ebooks are required to pay VAT (20% iirc); paper books are not.
As a consumer, do I care? No, I don't. All I see is the higher sale price for ebooks; consequently, I don't buy. It's really not my problem how these prices come about.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #27
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
The cost of printing is minimal. ...

For a $10 book, IIRC, the cost of printing and shipping to the bookstore was under $2.
20% is minimal?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #28
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
20% is minimal?
Good point --- I wish we had 20% margin on most of the stuff we sell.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #29
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
Quote:
Originally Posted by peegee View Post
Just for interest, here are the current prices on Amazon UK for the top 10 bestselling hardback fiction books (according to the Times weekly bestseller lists)

Code:
HB	Kindle	% Difference	Title
6.00	10.99	83	The Faithless/Marina Cole
6.00	8.99	50	Red Mist/Patricia Cornwell
8.99	5.99	-33	Snuff/Terry Pratchett
8.55	6.64	-22	Death Comes to Pemberley/PD James
8.20	9.99	22	11.22.63/Stephen King
7.00	10.99	57	The Litigators/John Grisham
8.30	9.99	20	The House of Silk/Anthony Horowitz
6.49	5.59	-14	The Sense of an Ending/Julian Barnes
9.41	9.99	6	The Thread/Victora Hislop
8.49	4.99	-41	The Time of my Life/Cecelia Ahern
77.43	84.15	9	TOTAL
As you can see, 6 of the 10 are more expensive in kindle format. (Prices for kobo books are either the same as kindle or slightly more expensive - the total for all 10 from kobo is 87.07.)
With Kobo you have to factor in their frequent coupons. 30% and 35% coupons come out frequently (at times on a weekly basis) and you can several book purchases out of each one by slightly changing the letters (i.e. US becomes CA becomes UK etc.)
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 10:19 AM   #30
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
John Green's The Fault in Our Stars.. $9.42 for (autographed!) hard cover vs $10.99 for kindle.
That's a pre-order price. The price of e-books on Amazon often is listed as higher on pre-order, but is always lower once the book is actually available.

I've never seen an e-book priced higher than an *available* (new, nonused) paper book on Amazon in the US. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it happened rarely.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote