Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-25-2021, 04:54 PM   #1
pier59
pier59 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
No WiFi, stuck at firmware 3.15.0

Hello Forum members
My Kobo Glo does not go online. I am wondering if I should start with a soft reset to fix this ?
What do you think ?
pier59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 05:31 PM   #2
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
There was a change to security protocols that meant that you needed to update the firmware to 3.19 or later *before* they stopped supporting older firmware, if you wanted to do it via WIFI.

Fortunately, you can either update using Kobo Desktop app and update to the most recent firmware for your device (it will be a much more recent firmware than 3.19), OR you can manually update to 3.19, or any other firmware after 3.19. You cannot keep firmware 3.15.0 and use WIFI.

There are many instructions of how to install the firmware manually and each firmware is readily available through links provided on MobileRead. Just make sure you use the proper version (ie Mark4, Mark5, Mark6, etc) for your model. I've never needed manually install firmware, but it is fairly simple, and instructions are all over MobileRead about how to do it.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 08:35 AM   #3
pier59

Hi Uschiekid,
I figured that much. Thanks for your help.
P

Last edited by pier59; 06-26-2021 at 08:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:51 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pier59 View Post
Hi Uschiekid,
I figured that much. Thanks for your help.
P
I highly suggest you update to 4.26.16704 as there are a lot of performance changes.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 03:05 AM   #5
pier59

Hi JSWolf,
Indeed here is what I did, so that people with the same issue know :
Soft reset (not sure it helped)
Update to latest firmware via kobosetup desktop
It took a couple of attempts to connect to wifi.
Then I added the Nightmod hack. It took also a couple of try and error until I found the last build. The first ones did not work with the latest firmware.
Old 06-27-2021, 04:07 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pier59 View Post
Hi JSWolf,
Indeed here is what I did, so that people with the same issue know :
Soft reset (not sure it helped)
Update to latest firmware via kobosetup desktop
It took a couple of attempts to connect to wifi.
Then I added the Nightmod hack. It took also a couple of try and error until I found the last build. The first ones did not work with the latest firmware.
You should uninstall the Nightmod hack as you would be better off with Nickelmenu. Nickelmenu can do Nightmode and a lot more useful things.

See this thread on Nickelmenu. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=329525
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:22 AM   #7
pier59

It looks great. I love to have a lot of control.
I'll look into uninstalling the Nighmode and try this.
Invert Screen is probably the equivalent of Nightmod.
Thank you.
Old 06-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
pier59

NickelMenu is actually very nice. Thanks again.

Tags
connection, glo, wifi