Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-29-2018, 02:31 AM   #32416
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Those cheap glasses are worthless to me. If you have a cylinder and/or axis they will not work. I have both and both eyes are different as well, you really need prescription glasses. It sucks, but that is how it is. Then again, my bifocals only cost me around €200 after all the discounts and insurance, so that is not too bad.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 03:09 AM   #32417
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Those cheap glasses are worthless to me. If you have a cylinder and/or axis they will not work. I have both and both eyes are different as well, you really need prescription glasses. It sucks, but that is how it is. Then again, my bifocals only cost me around €200 after all the discounts and insurance, so that is not too bad.
You might want to look into Hans Anders Bril Totaal Plan. You pay a little bit of money each month and every year or two years (I got the two year plan) you get a voucher to get new glasses. I have a cylinder and need lenses that are extra thin because otherwise the sides of the lenses get really thick and heavy. This is expensive, but it's included in the Plan. It includes their basic frames, if you want another one or sunglasses that's no problem; you just pay the difference. There's also a plan for bifocals.

Because I got the Plan when it was first introduced I pay €3 a month (it's now €3,50) and get the voucher every two years. I also get to use insurance, and last time I got more money back than the €72 I paid for the Plan, I did choose a slightly more expensive frame.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 06:02 AM   #32418
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Reading glasses won't help you. Your eyes are -6.5ish (very similar to mine, in fact). That means you can see close-up without glasses. (Your prescription means that when not wearing any glasses your vision is the equivalent of a person with no prescription wearing +6 reading glasses.)
Many people (and possibly Blossom as well) think reading glasses have to be +1, or +2 or whatever. That is true for people with no glasses.

You need the plus lenses to be able to focus up close. (That is why a normal lens on a photo camera needs a +1 to +10 screw-on macro lens as soon as you get closer than a certain distance: you're effectively putting 'reading glasses' on the camera.)

So, someone who has a -6 prescription for normal sight, and then needs a +2 correction for reading, will require -4 lenses in their reading glasses.

As you get older, your normal sight also moves towards the plus side. I moved from -9.25 / -7.5 to -7 and -5.25 for my normal glasses (in the time span of three months, a few years ago), and my computer glasses are now -5.5 and -3.25. (So, effectively +2 compared to my normal glasses).

Thus... it IS actually possible to start out with -1 in both eyes when you're 35....
Requiring a +2 correction for reading, putting your reading glasses at +1 when you're 40...
And then you move +1 for your normal sight, ending at 0 (ditching your glasses) and requiring +2 for reading when you're 45... and then move up to +2.5 or +3 for reading glasses by the time you're 55.

Last edited by Katsunami; 08-29-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #32419
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I connected my old Canon MG2570 Printer/Scanner which was gathering dust since last one year. It got well connected to my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to use its scanner to digitize some documents. But the darn machine repeatedly gave me empty cartridges error and I could not scan my stuff. Why the heck does that require darn ink cartridges to scan? Logically you should be able to do a scan without ink, and scanner doesn't consume ink unless you print out what you scan.

I also tried searching the internet for a solution, but found none. Instead, I found tons of similar complaints from other users. Apparently it appears to be a cunning scheme of the manufacturers to lure the customers initially with cheap priced so called 'All-in-ones' to finally sale their high priced ink cartridges on an ongoing basis! I hate this wicked type of bait! It may not be out of place to mention here that a set of two ink cartridges, one B/W and one color, is sold for as high as that one would like to buy another new machine with little more money, leaving a bulky junk of plastic at his disposal!

I'm not going to spend a single dime buying a $%*&#@^ 'All-in-one' in future, from any manufacturer!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:42 AM   #32420
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
You might want to look into Hans Anders Bril Totaal Plan. You pay a little bit of money each month and every year or two years (I got the two year plan) you get a voucher to get new glasses. I have a cylinder and need lenses that are extra thin because otherwise the sides of the lenses get really thick and heavy. This is expensive, but it's included in the Plan. It includes their basic frames, if you want another one or sunglasses that's no problem; you just pay the difference. There's also a plan for bifocals.

Because I got the Plan when it was first introduced I pay €3 a month (it's now €3,50) and get the voucher every two years. I also get to use insurance, and last time I got more money back than the €72 I paid for the Plan, I did choose a slightly more expensive frame.
If it works for you, great. My experiences with Hans Anders are not that good. Especially their measurement are often way off. I know of others with the same issues. It is not that I need glasses every year...
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2018, 01:14 PM   #32421
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
I connected my old Canon MG2570 Printer/Scanner which was gathering dust since last one year. It got well connected to my Windows 10 laptop. I tried to use its scanner to digitize some documents. But the darn machine repeatedly gave me empty cartridges error and I could not scan my stuff. Why the heck does that require darn ink cartridges to scan? Logically you should be able to do a scan without ink, and scanner doesn't consume ink unless you print out what you scan.

I also tried searching the internet for a solution, but found none. Instead, I found tons of similar complaints from other users. Apparently it appears to be a cunning scheme of the manufacturers to lure the customers initially with cheap priced so called 'All-in-ones' to finally sale their high priced ink cartridges on an ongoing basis! I hate this wicked type of bait! It may not be out of place to mention here that a set of two ink cartridges, one B/W and one color, is sold for as high as that one would like to buy another new machine with little more money, leaving a bulky junk of plastic at his disposal!

I'm not going to spend a single dime buying a $%*&#@^ 'All-in-one' in future, from any manufacturer!
For myself, I buy the no name ink cartridges. I've had next to no issues, and even if the printer breaks, I will have saved the cost for a new printer multiple times.

YMMV.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #32422
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
If you have a cylinder correction you must by definition also have an axis and visa versa. They mean that you have astigmatism and how it's corrected. I used to have a 2.0 cylinder at an axis of 90 degrees. When I had cataract surgery that was partially corrected but I don't recall what it is now except that it's somewhat better.

I lost central vision in my left eye to AMD 25 years ago so they don't bother trying to correct my astigmatism in that eye. A couple of years ago the AMD popped up in my right eye, but they have better treatment now so I get an injection into my eyeball every ten weeks and so far it's been working to preserve what vision I have left.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:02 PM   #32423
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I need reading glasses, but the cheap ones ($3 a pop) are fine for my use. Have you tried them? If your intermediate glasses correct for other things as well as distance, such as astigmatism, you could always get a pair of tiny rimless readers ones and wear them underneath your other pair when you're reading. Home-made bifocals, essentially.
I've got £1 glasses stashed all about the house, in jacket pockets, in the car and in my work bag. That way I can always easily locate a pair without having to search for long. I wear the lowest strength ones for close-up reading, and they do just fine at that.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2018, 05:05 PM   #32424
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I really can't get away with the cheap ones. But I'm so hard on glasses that I've gone to the expense of getting ones with glass lenses. PITA because they have to be made in Quebec. Apparently no one in BC does glass lenses any more.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 08:37 AM   #32425
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I've got £1 glasses stashed all about the house, in jacket pockets, in the car and in my work bag. That way I can always easily locate a pair without having to search for long. I wear the lowest strength ones for close-up reading, and they do just fine at that.
I'm up to three strengths: for the computer, for ebook reading, for print reading and anything minuscule. I've gotten so I can't pass the cheap reading glasses store without adding to my stash.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:59 AM   #32426
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am 56 and I got a +3 and +3.5 with different cylindrical values for reading correction, along with a -1 and -.5 for long distance. It is a difficult matter of carrying a set of 3 or 4 pairs of glasses all the time while driving, watching TV, working on computer, reading an Ebook and reading a fine print on product packaging. So I adopted for progressive glasses, though little bit costly and difficult to adopt initially, that reduced many problems.
I admit, reading books with progressive glasses is not a happy experience altogether because you need a lot of neck movements to focus on. Therefore I keep another rimless pair of reading glasses besides my seat and bed, where I spend more time in reading only.

Spoiler:
Off the topic, Mrs. Potato hates my progressive glasses pair! I chose an old fashioned, round, heavy rim frame to tease her. Intentionally.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:18 AM   #32427
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Spoiler:
Off the topic, Mrs. Potato hates my progressive glasses pair! I chose an old fashioned, round, heavy rim frame to tease her. Intentionally.
Tell her to look on the bright side; when you're out together, people will think she's with her dad.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 10:54 AM   #32428
drjd
The Couch Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
Tell her to look on the bright side; when you're out together, people will think she's with her dad.
They do. And she knows.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:05 PM   #32429
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I'm lucky. -6.0 diopter. So all I need to do for reading is prop those glasses on my forehead. Computers are a pain, I use bifocals.

The only thing I miss is the extreme focus I used to have. . . Still, not bad for 61. . .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #32430
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
I'm lucky. -6.0 diopter. So all I need to do for reading is prop those glasses on my forehead. Computers are a pain, I use bifocals.

The only thing I miss is the extreme focus I used to have. . . Still, not bad for 61. . .
I don't remember what my eyes are but I end up just propping my glasses on my head too. Sometimes I just look under the frame (and chose glasses that I could do that with on purpose) but that is becoming less often. Fortunately they still work for computer/everything but reading and up-close work.

I asked about bifocals a couple years ago and the eye doctor said I was too young to be considering them. I thought it was about how we see, not what age we are. But I'm not the specialist.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness