Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-25-2018, 08:35 AM   #32401
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
My phone's battery decided to start dying yesterday. It went from 80% to 3%. When charging it charged to 25% then it went to 61% in 5 minutes and another 5 minutes it was fully charged.

Just now it went from around 90% to shut down.

The phone's almost 4 years old, so I've decided against replacing the battery and get a new phone.

Normally it wouldn't be a problem to be without my phone for a couple of days. But tomorrow I'm going away for a couple of days. But luckily a local store got the phone in stock and they're open longer than our store today. So after work I'm going to pick it up.

Sent from my PLK-L01 using Tapatalk
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:53 PM   #32402
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Is there anyone you know (friend? family member?) who is home in the daytime and could accept a package?.
The issue is they make no attempts to deliver whatsoever. I will be home but they still dump packages outside 3 blocks away. No attempt to contact me at all or show up at my building.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2018, 07:56 PM   #32403
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
The issue is they make no attempts to deliver whatsoever. I will be home but they still dump packages outside 3 blocks away. No attempt to contact me at all or show up at my building.
I was thinking you might be able to have your package sent to the home of a friend or relative, instead of to your home. Maybe you have a friend or family member who is home in the daytime?
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:18 PM   #32404
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
There's a lot to said for shopping in bricks and mortar shops.

Since when did (Glad) cling wrap stop sticking to melamine bowls? Still works on glass, ceramics, and high density polyethylene; but it falls off melamine. Has that always been so?

When Dupont released its cling wrap products I was working as a lowly lab assistant (glassware washer-uperer) in a competitor's polymer research centre. There was a lot of pressure from on high to come up with a similar product - I don't think they ever did.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-26-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: typo
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #32405
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I think Blossom said she had been wearing her previous glasses for a long time - so long that she'd gotten to the point where she couldn't see much in the distance - and now she suddenly has a current much stronger prescription - so I suppose it's possible that it would take some time to adjust to such a big change even if the new prescription is correct and there is no presbyopia issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If you're 45+, you will not 'get used' to them. You just don't have as much accommodation in your eyes as when you were younger, and if your glasses are correct for distance vision, you won't be able to see near things in focus.

I'm 54, and I now have varifocals which work well for me in general use - especially when driving, so I can read the dashboard controls!

But if you're under 40, it sounds like they may have got the prescription wrong, either in the test, or in the lenses. An optician should be able to quickly verify that the lenses are made to the new prescription correctly. If they are, then perhaps a re-test?
I got retested last Thursday and it came out very close to the original test. He change the axis a bit. They gave me a prescription for bifocals for intermediate/near use but I did not have the money for the upgrade. So we decided to remake one pair with intermediate field of vision only which was free. When he checked my near vision and added +1.50 power everything was so clear to read up close. So I'll have my distance glasses and a pair of intermediate glasses for computer use. Later when I get the money I can have bifocals made for reading. Right now I have to hold anything five inches from my nose to read anything clearly. The intermediate glasses should be ready in a week or so. So now I have two prescriptions one for distance, one for intermediate/near.
I made sure to get copies so I can order online and save money when I can budget new glasses in.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #32406
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I need reading glasses, but the cheap ones ($3 a pop) are fine for my use. Have you tried them? If your intermediate glasses correct for other things as well as distance, such as astigmatism, you could always get a pair of tiny rimless readers ones and wear them underneath your other pair when you're reading. Home-made bifocals, essentially.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:51 AM   #32407
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
Oh, I hate that. I live in a very small but single-family house and you'd think they'd have no problem delivering to me but the street numbers aren't exactly consecutive because New Orleans. They have occasionally messed up and this causes issues because I much prefer shopping online and get a lot through Amazon.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:55 AM   #32408
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I got retested last Thursday and it came out very close to the original test. He change the axis a bit. They gave me a prescription for bifocals for intermediate/near use but I did not have the money for the upgrade. So we decided to remake one pair with intermediate field of vision only which was free. When he checked my near vision and added +1.50 power everything was so clear to read up close. So I'll have my distance glasses and a pair of intermediate glasses for computer use. Later when I get the money I can have bifocals made for reading. Right now I have to hold anything five inches from my nose to read anything clearly. The intermediate glasses should be ready in a week or so. So now I have two prescriptions one for distance, one for intermediate/near.
I made sure to get copies so I can order online and save money when I can budget new glasses in.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Glad to hear you got something worked out. If you are on the computer a lot like I am, having a separate pair of glasses for intermediate/computer is really helpful.

I usually take my glasses off for any dedicated reading. I hold reading material about 11-12 inches from my face to read clearly. My eyes don't track together well unless I am looking straight ahead, so trying to read while looking down through the reading portion at the bottom of the trifocals is not comfortable for extended periods of reading.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:58 AM   #32409
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I need reading glasses, but the cheap ones ($3 a pop) are fine for my use. Have you tried them? If your intermediate glasses correct for other things as well as distance, such as astigmatism, you could always get a pair of tiny rimless readers ones and wear them underneath your other pair when you're reading. Home-made bifocals, essentially.
I once tried putting some cheap reading glasses over my regular glasses and it sort of worked but it was hard to get them to stay on. There wouldn't be room to wear the readers underneath since my regular glasses sit very close to my face. Of course this may be different for another person.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:59 AM   #32410
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
I have. I can't see anything out of them. I have the strongest I could find. +4.00 I tried hubby's weaker ones as well he has a few from the store in various strengths. He now has bifocals, they are his first pair of prescription glasses ever. He got a free upgrade when the eyeglass place lost his frames.

I'll try again when I get the new intermediate ones. My current distance glasses is -6.50 total power so I can't see anything really unless it's 15 to 20 feet away.

Sent from my Nexus 7
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 02:50 PM   #32411
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I recommend ZenniOptical.com I get their $7 frames, and can get a single distance pair of glasses for $25. Plus $5 for shipping, so I usually order another pair to make it worth while. I have distance+computer in bifocals (~$100), also single length computer length, and single length reading. The distance+computer is my every day wear - works for driving, etc.

Once my preferred local kind of graduated tri-focals got to $500, I said heck with buying local, and I gave up on the graduated and the tri-focal too. I haven't missed it.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 03:23 PM   #32412
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I have. I can't see anything out of them. I have the strongest I could find. +4.00 I tried hubby's weaker ones as well he has a few from the store in various strengths. He now has bifocals, they are his first pair of prescription glasses ever. He got a free upgrade when the eyeglass place lost his frames.

I'll try again when I get the new intermediate ones. My current distance glasses is -6.50 total power so I can't see anything really unless it's 15 to 20 feet away.
Reading glasses won't help you. Your eyes are -6.5ish (very similar to mine, in fact). That means you can see close-up without glasses. (Your prescription means that when not wearing any glasses your vision is the equivalent of a person with no prescription wearing +6 reading glasses.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:24 PM   #32413
4691mls
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Reading glasses won't help you. Your eyes are -6.5ish (very similar to mine, in fact). That means you can see close-up without glasses. (Your prescription means that when not wearing any glasses your vision is the equivalent of a person with no prescription wearing +6 reading glasses.)
I think (?) Blossom was responding to posts about wearing cheap reading glasses over/under the distance glasses. This does work, though not very well as it's difficult to get two pairs of glasses to actually stay put on your face at the same time
Old 08-28-2018, 06:07 PM   #32414
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
I love the cheap ones. I got mono vision after Lasik (slightly nearsighted in one eye, slightly farsighted in the other). That allowed me to avoid reading glasses until about 55. Since then, the cheap ones (1, then 2) work find for things I cannot adjust, like newspapers and knitting. At a few dollars a pair, I have them in every room of the house, and in my knitting bag. I even have a collapsible pair in my purse for reading menus.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 06:20 PM   #32415
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Before Lasik, one eye was -7.5 and the other was -7.25. In other words, without my glasses, I was blind as a bat. But I could thread a needle without my glasses on when I was 48. Then I got Lasik. It got rid of my astigmatism, and now my eyes are -1.5 and +2.0. I can watch movies/television and do most reading without glasses. For newspapers, knitting and menus, reading glasses work fine. The last time I went to an optometrist, he wanted to correct both eyes. But that would mean I would have to wear glasses all the time. It takes a day or so for your brain to realize that one eye is for close up and one eye is for distance.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness