Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 03:37 AM   #91
Euroboy
Connoisseur
Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Euroboy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle2 Intl.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindorsey View Post
So what was the final choice ?
For me, after trying both, it was a kindle2..
Euroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #92
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Thanks

I read pretty much this entire thread. Thanks. I struggled with my decision of which to buy. When Nook was announced I said, that's the one I want and forgot about it. I had plans to order it for Christmas (well maybe Valentines day before I'd get it!!) then it actually came out and got into reviewers hands with somewhat lackluster reviews. I played with one at B&N and thought geez, this is slow. A friend of mine had Kindle2 and she loved it. We had a work Christmas luncheon and I messed around with hers somewhat and thought wow, much better operation than the nook.

Well then started reading about Sony. I didn't care for the touch screen version I played with at Target, but thought gee the 5" 300 may be perfect for my needs. Target didn't have the 300 or I might own it. I started to run to best buy last night and buy it, it was 20 off at 179 bucks. Then some more reading on the net last night made me go Kindle. What threw me over to Kindle was no search on the 300 and no dictionary. I didn't mind using the internet and usb cables to load up books, I really like having a search function and dictionary on board. So Kindle it was.

I ordered last night for 1 day shipping.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM   #93
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Hope you enjoy your Kindle! I really love the dictionary and the search function, use them all the time.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:08 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
Hope you enjoy your Kindle! I really love the dictionary and the search function, use them all the time.
Well, on the 600 & 900, the dictionary is the easiest to use dictionary currently.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #95
4nefertiti
Enthusiast
4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.4nefertiti has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS900 (daily edition), blackberry
I think the biggest thing here is:
We now have another ebook convert.... What reader you use is really personal choice. What works best for me may not be what you need in a reader. I too did tons of research before making my second purchase ( I had a sony 505 - which I still think has the best screen of all the readers). My first choice was the Nook - until I had it in hand and saw for myself how buggy the interface is (will probably be good once they work all the bugs out). In the meantime I decided to go with the new Sony 900 daily edition.
4nefertiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 01:26 PM   #96
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Well, on the 600 & 900, the dictionary is the easiest to use dictionary currently.
You can't add a translation dictionary. For me, that's half the great idea of having the option of a dictionary.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:37 PM   #97
Santa Fe Painter
Santa Fe Painter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle2
Now I Have Both a Sony PRS-505 and a Kindle2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
Looking at both and trying to make up my mind. I like the Sony's design, access to more open formats, and the fact I can actually try before I buy. I like Kindle's access to a larger library of new books (for cheaper) and cheaper price.

What do you think? If you were picking between the two, what pushed you toward or away from Kindle?
Last May 2009 I purchased a Sony PRS-505 after a lot of research and review reading. The Kindle2 had been released, but the price was still $100 more than I paid for the Sony PRS-505.

At that time, my my reasons for purchasing the Sony were:

* Lower price ($100 less)
* Access to the local libraries OverDrive ebooks (Adobe Editions)
* Access to many downloadable public domain books.
* I did not plan on purchasing very many books. So I dismissed the price difference between Amazon and Sony.

Now...fast forward to the end of 2009 when Sony converted its books to the ePub format. I had purchased only 13 books from the Sony store. After the ePub conversion, I downloaded the 10 converted volumes available from my account to see if I liked the new format.

The only advantage I experienced was the large mobi collection volumes (e.g. Complete Jane Austen Collection) loaded and changed text sizes more quickly.

I did not like the ragged right margin, preferring full justification. The new format also put a full empty line between every paragraph. There were not any headers so I did not have a title reference at the top of the screen. It felt more like reading a web page rather than a book.

I felt very frustrated. I enjoyed the reader, but I knew that I would not purchase any more Sony books. I still had my original books in the Sony .lrx format.

I was also not taking advantage of the library eBooks since they were only offered in the PDF format--many of which were unreadable. The text was too small. Adobe claims that the Sony can now "reflow" a PDF, but the formatting of a book is corrupted on the reflow. So I gave up on the free books through the public library source.

In the meantime, Amazon lowered the price of its Kindle2. I researched the device (online), read input from owners on this forum, and did a cost comparison of book prices between Amazon and Sony that I would love to purchase. Oh yes! This was also a big plus in my evaluation! (I almost forgot) Amazon made the Kindle for PC software available. That made it possible for me to actually see and read the Kindle books before making a decision to purchase the Kindle2 or not. The Kindle books' formatting makes me "feel" more like I'm reading a hardcopy book. The margins are fully justified and the book title appears at the top of the screen.

The week before Christmas I took the plunge and became one of Amazon's statistics: Kindle, the biggest selling item on Amazon. And I am thoroughly enjoying my purchase. These are the features that blow me away:

* Elegant design and feel in my hands.
* The text seems clearer and easier to read than the Sony PRS-505.
* The screen refreshes faster.
* The fonts change size faster--and there are more font sizes to choose from.
* Image zoom.
* "Find" function.
* Notes and highlighting.
* Text-to-Speech is better than I thought it would be.
* Built in dictionary.

My Sony/Kindle comparison is probably a bit dated for those of you making your decision today, as the Sony PRS-505 would not be the model you would be comparing.

But I must say, I'm more satisfied with the Kindle2 purchase than I had hoped to be.

Last edited by Santa Fe Painter; 01-01-2010 at 04:40 PM.
Santa Fe Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #98
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe Painter View Post
* The text seems clearer and easier to read than the Sony PRS-505.
I - and at least one other - noticed this as well, but it might just be because the screen is newer. They supposedly gets slightly darker, with less contrast over time. Could also very well be because of the font type (unless you used Caecilia on the Sony as well).

As for the design; I like the Kindle quite a lot as I find it working well ergonomically - and while the look doesn't have that solid, luxurious finish of e.g. the Sony 505, it's rather nice and clean, much like an piece of paper. The first Kindle were supposed to look like a book - it wouldn't surprise me if the second were to emulate the look of a piece of paper - and I think the design works quite well.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:01 PM   #99
Santa Fe Painter

Question Screens getting darker with less contrast?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
They supposedly gets slightly darker, with less contrast over time.
Should I expect to see this quality with my Kindle2 within seven months?

I'm hoping not...

Last edited by Santa Fe Painter; 01-01-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #100
Ea
Wizard

This is the information I have - and the difference in contrast I experienced with my 7-8 months old Sony 505 was much the same.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60439

Not sure how much you can see from the photos though. I'd say the difference was slight and not something I'd notice had I not had the opportunity of a direct comparison.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #101
Santa Fe Painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
I'd say the difference was slight and not something I'd notice had I not had the opportunity of a direct comparison.
Thanks for the link to the photos.

I feel better with your comment above.

I had wondered if it could be the difference between 8 and 16 shades of gray in the screen technology.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and continue to enjoy my new "toy."
Old 01-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #102
Ea
Wizard

Sorry if I worried you too much with my previous comment. I hope you enjoy your Kindle I know I like mine.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #103
XK143
XK143 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage - Back again after trying them all!
I will echo everything Santa Fe Painter said since my timeline and choices were nearly the same. The only difference is that I had tried out the original Kindle before the Sony PRS-505 and it kinda felt like a toy. While Sony has beautiful hardware, they (particularly now) lack a decent distribution system with their buggy software and raggedy ePubs. Amazon has dynamite distribution but the hardware isn't as great, although the Kindle 2 has grown on me. Thus, my Kindle 2 should be arriving anyday.

Oh, by the way, when I downloaded Kindle for PC, the books I had previously purchased when I had the Kindle 1 for the trial period were right there waiting for me. That was pretty trick.
XK143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #104
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroboy View Post
For me, after trying both, it was a kindle2..
I'm glad you are part of the family
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote