Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
ghira
ghira began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight,
Black Cat Weekly reboots my kobo.

The newish "Black Cat Weekly" epubs from https://bcmystery.com/ make my Kobo (Aura One, latest software) reboot.

Other stuff I've had from them has never done this that I recall. And opening epubs from elsewhere hasn't done this for years. (The version it originally came with did it a lot back in 2017 (?)).

I ran all my issues of BCW through kepubify and those versions open instantly.

Has anyone else run into problems like this?

If this keeps up I guess I'll use kepubify on all future issues. I have written to bcmmystery to tell them something seems different about these files.

Last edited by ghira; 09-29-2021 at 11:04 AM.
ghira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:19 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Clara HD, Nexus 7 HD, iPad Pro, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghira View Post
The newish "Black Cat Weekly" epubs from https://bcmystery.com/ make my Kobo (Aura One, latest software) reboot.
Two options that come to mind. You can try running epubcheck on one of the problem ebooks or you can use ScrambleEbook (calibre plugin) to allow you to attach one of the problem epubs to a message in this thread.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 01:19 AM   #3
ghira

I didn't know about epubcheck. I'll try that. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:46 AM   #4
ghira

Well. Hmm.
Validating using EPUB version 3.2 rules.
No errors or warnings detected.

EPUBCheck completed

So nothing "wrong".
Old 09-29-2021, 05:19 AM   #5
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
I have Black Cat Weekly #1 on my Kobo Aura One, and I have no problem opening the book
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
They had #3 and #4 free on their site. #3 opens, but takes a long time. #4 causes the device to reboot after a while. That makes it look like a hang and sickel is triggering rebooting. I also noticed that generating the cover image took a long time for both. That agrees with the slow opening as the RMSDK is used for both.

Looking at the code, at first, nothing jumped out at me. But, when I looked at the stylesheet in #4, it was 141113 lines or about 2.3MB in size. For #3, the stylesheet is a relatively minuscule 71473 lines and 1.1MB. I suspect that parsing these are the culprits. I am using the calibre editor to clean unused styles on #4. So far, it's been running for over 30 minutes. So, I took another copy and just deleted every thing after the 1000th line in the stylesheet. That loaded in a normal time.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #7
ghira

Thank you to both. Very interesting. I'll pass the above information to the BCM people. #4 was the first one I noticed problems with but I often download the BCM books of the week to my Kobo and don't necessarily read them any time soon. My file for #4 is only 1 meg, however, which seems a bit odd if yours has 2.3 megs just of stylesheets.

FWIW even calibre's ebook viewer was taking an age to open #4 but I hadn't upgraded it for a while and installing the latest version fixed this. (I was on about 4.23, now 4.28)
Old 09-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thank you to both. Very interesting. I'll pass the above information to the BCM people. #4 was the first one I noticed problems with but I often download the BCM books of the week to my Kobo and don't necessarily read them any time soon. My file for #4 is only 1 meg, however, which seems a bit odd if yours has 2.3 megs just of stylesheets.
I was looking at it in the calibre editor. The 2.3MBs was the uncompressed size. Probably a better measurement is that there are 13209 styles in the stylesheet.

And the cleanup is still running.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:55 AM   #9
ghira

Super. Will relay this to BCM. I don't recall ever having their stuff do this to me before since I upgraded off the software my Kobo came with so it _seems_ like something that started since this weekly magazine came along. The most recent downloads before it started seem fine.

How long should a stylesheet be? "relatively minuscule 71473 lines" still sounds like a lot to me, not that I know what goes into one.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:25 AM   #10
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Both Kinds: epub based makes and Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
… But, when I looked at the stylesheet in #4, it was 141113 lines or about 2.3MB in size. For #3, the stylesheet is a relatively minuscule 71473 lines and 1.1MB. I suspect that parsing these are the culprits. I am using the calibre editor to clean unused styles on #4. So far, it's been running for over 30 minutes. So, I took another copy and just deleted every thing after the 1000th line in the stylesheet. That loaded in a normal time.
Are they using InDesign or some totally broken epub conversion tool?

That's crazy.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:30 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Super. Will relay this to BCM. I don't recall ever having their stuff do this to me before since I upgraded off the software my Kobo came with so it _seems_ like something that started since this weekly magazine came along. The most recent downloads before it started seem fine.
It probably means that someone forgot to a step in their processing to remove the unneeded styles.
Quote:
How long should a stylesheet be? "relatively minuscule 71473 lines" still sounds like a lot to me, not that I know what goes into one.
Did I forget to put the smiley on that

It should be as long as is needed. But, I haven't seen many that are even 1000 lines long. These two are so long that I can't think of how they were even created.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:00 PM   #12
ghira

Thanks all. They confirm the unused styles thing and have sent me a new version of issue 4. Will check it in a bit.
Old 09-29-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
John Betancourt
John Betancourt began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to ghira for letting me know about the problem. (I'm the publisher of Black Cat Weekly and Wildside Press).

I use Jutoh to create ebooks, and I suspect there may be a bug in the version I upgraded to about a month ago that ballooned up the box styles. I don't use box styles, but I found 5800 (!) box style entries and deleted them all. My own style sheet has less than 50 paragraph styles, plus a couple of character style (like italics), so I don't know where the 5800 extra styles came from. It's really weird.

I will be keeping an eye on the style sheets in the future, so hopefully this problem is now fixed and won't occur again.

John
John Betancourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 03:21 PM   #14
ghira

Rebuilt versions of #3 and #4 have massively reduced styles.css and my Kobo opens them happily.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:10 PM   #15
ghira

And #5 looks fine. Problem solved!