Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 03-01-2008, 05:08 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Firmware version 538 upgrade and bug fixes

When I wrote to Bookeen support a couple of days ago to ask them when the next firmware release was due, in their reply they sent me instructions about how to reflash the Gen3 to the latest build 538 firmware version (I think it was a "form letter" they sent me containing this information).

I've reflashed my Gen3 this morning (very straightforward to do, by the way) and done some testing. The good news is that the main bug I was encountering - that of the Gen3 rebooting or hanging up when looking up a word from a dictionary - appears to have been fixed. Whereas before, every 3rd or 4th word I looked up would either reboot or hang the Gen3, I've done about 20 lookups in a row now with no problems whatsoever. I can also now freely page backwards and forwards through the dictionary with no problems (this too used to cause a reboot).

So, I'm cautiously optimistic that this bug really has been fixed.

I'd recommend anyone who has the original firmware version (build 476), and who's experienced these issues with a dictionary to upgrade to the current build 538; it certainly seems to be a lot better.

Unfortunately the e-mail I received from Bookeen explicitly said that the reflash instructions mustn't be made public, but if you write to "support@bookeen.com" they should give you the information, as they did me.

BTW, to check which version of the firmware you have, display the menu from the Library screen, select "Advanced", then "About".

Good news!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just noticed something else too - the bug in the library screen, which showed all the file dates a month too early, has been fixed too; all the dates are now correct. I wonder if this has fixed the problem with date-related DRM used by Mobi library books? Worth a try, for anyone who has access to such books!
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 05:25 AM   #3
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Thanks once more for sharing the information.

I have had no problems as you reported and I have just checked and I have the 538 version of the Boo Reader (is this what they call to the reader internal operating system?)

My Cybook is from the 2nd selling group (bought it by the 31st January and received it by the 6th February), so probably all those readers from this group have already this version.

Lets ear other people experience.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks - that's useful to know. I guess that my post is only really of relevance to anyone with an earlier Gen3, in that case. It's nice to see, though, that Bookeen are being proactive in fixing the bugs which people have reported. It's good to see too that the "platform independence" of the Gen3 is being maintained by having a reflash process which simply involves putting a file on the SD card, rather than using a Windows-based update application as some other manufacturers have adopted.
Old 03-01-2008, 05:52 AM   #5
captaingeorges
Zealot
captaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enoughcaptaingeorges will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook, Iphone32g, ipad, Kobo
Hi Harry!

I am in the first 100 of NAEB and I am also version 538
captaingeorges is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
arit
Cybook Warrior
arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.arit has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia E65, HTC Universal, Cybook G3
Got my Cybook ~20th December and it had already v538.
arit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Gibbo
Guru
Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gibbo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab A (2019) - iPhone 11 - KA1 - Onyx Boox Nova Pro
Thx for the info Harry, I have build 476 but haven't got the problem you had.Anyways I think I'll wait for the official release
Gibbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:37 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just noticed something else too - the bug in the library screen, which showed all the file dates a month too early, has been fixed too; all the dates are now correct. I wonder if this has fixed the problem with date-related DRM used by Mobi library books? Worth a try, for anyone who has access to such books!
I do not thinks this bug has been mentioned here but I found it annoying that the date was given month 00. Then I should upgrade and test if the bugs I have reported is fixed or not.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:13 PM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The installation instructions says 'press the "Enter" key'. The manual does not explain which key that is so which one should I press?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #10
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

OK, when I put the update file in the correct place the middle button on the D-pad started the update.

The dictionary lookup bug is still there. The symptom is that "fast" and "fastidious" for example is not found in the Concise Oxford Dictionary. These words works on my Palm T5 with the same dictionary.

The bug with the liberation fony might have been fixed since I cannot trigger it now. The description of it was:

Quote:
Install the Liberation fonts from Redhat

https://www.redhat.com/f/fonts/liber...s-ttf-3.tar.gz

and choose Liberation Serif. Open the demo book "Star Trek the Next Generation: The Sky is the Limit" and page forward. The unit "reboots" at page four. It is a fast "reboot" since it starts with the image of the Cybook with three circles to the left and only takes a couple of seconds.
The bug related to image size might be fixed also since my test case that I submitted to Bookeen did not trigger the bug with the new version. So people having had problem with books they have bought migth want to try this new version of the firmware.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The dictionary lookup bug is still there. The symptom is that "fast" and "fastidious" for example is not found in the Concise Oxford Dictionary. These words works on my Palm T5 with the same dictionary.
That's a different bug to the one that I reported. "My" bug was that the Gen3 would either hang up (requiring the "Reset" button to be pressed) or reboot the machine when one looked up certain words in the dictionary. It would also reboot after a few pages if one tried to page backwards or forwards through the dictionary. From other peoples' reports, this wasn't specific to the dictionary I had, but occured with all dictionaries. This one does seem to have been fixed.

I wonder if yours is an issue specific to that one dictionary? I've not experienced any lookup failures with the "Chambers" dictionary that I have.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I do not thinks this bug has been mentioned here but I found it annoying that the date was given month 00. Then I should upgrade and test if the bugs I have reported is fixed or not.
It was reported in the very early days of the Gen3; perhaps before you got yours? It prevented Mobi library books (which have a DRM mechanism using a range of dates) from working on the Gen3, because the machine thought that the book had "expired" due to the date being a month older than it really was.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:13 AM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was reported in the very early days of the Gen3; perhaps before you got yours? It prevented Mobi library books (which have a DRM mechanism using a range of dates) from working on the Gen3, because the machine thought that the book had "expired" due to the date being a month older than it really was.
Ah, that I remember. I just did not realize that that meant the the displayed date was wrong. I also think that displaying "00" in a date is an additional bug (missing sanity checks).
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
Puddytat purr
Enthusiast
Puddytat purr is on a distinguished road

Location: Isle of Wight (that's the little speck at bottom of the UK map)
Device: Bookeen Cybook
Maybe I can't see the wood for the trees, but where on Bookeen's site is the upgrade?

I've found the bit under software specs that says I have to upgrade via the memory card - but WHERE do I do this?

Sorry, if it's obvious - I've hardly slept cos I've got all these lovely ebooks to read

Does upgrading the software wipe it like with a mobile phone?
Puddytat purr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:50 AM   #15
tompe
Grand Sorcerer

It is not there since it is not an official upgrade. But new devices have newer version of the firmware and if you email them and ask for it they will send it to you.