Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-24-2017, 05:23 AM   #1
zakazak
zakazak began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3 (2017)
Paperwhite 3 (2017) Jailbreak questions

Hello everyone,
I just got my Kindler Paperwhite 3 (2017) with Firmware 5.8.10.
I bought the special-offer version and got the ads removed by talking to the Amazon customer service.

I am now thinking about Jailbreaking but have a few questions first:

1. If I jailbreak and later go back to stock, will my ads still be removed? It's the special-offer Kindle with ads removed afterwards by the Amazon support.

2. With Firmware 5.8.10 it seems like the only way to jailbreak is by downgrading, jailbreaking, upgrading to 5.8.10 again? Or did I over read another jailbreak method?

3. I forgot my 3rd question Will come back when I remind it lol.

Thanks in advance !
zakazak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) Yes.
The Special Offers status is contained in Amazon's database. The Kindle only has a local copy.

2) No.
The only way to Jail break 5.8.10 is by using the serial port access.
(Have you even tried to read the introduction to the current jail break?)

3) Most likely answered in the current jail break thread, the first post of which you should now read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #3
zakazak

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
1) Yes.
The Special Offers status is contained in Amazon's database. The Kindle only has a local copy.

2) No.
The only way to Jail break 5.8.10 is by using the serial port access.
(Have you even tried to read the introduction to the current jail break?)

3) Most likely answered in the current jail break thread, the first post of which you should now read:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877
I have read that thread. It explains that 5.8.10 cant be jailbroken but continues by installing the stock/downgraded firmware from which you jailbreak and then uodate again.

It doesnt mention anytjing about a special serial port jailbreak?
Old 09-24-2017, 04:28 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakazak View Post
I have read that thread. It explains that 5.8.10 cant be jailbroken but continues by installing the stock/downgraded firmware from which you jailbreak and then uodate again.

It doesnt mention anytjing about a special serial port jailbreak?
What part of you can't do that do you not believe?
When I write:
Quote:
Will this jail break work on my current firmware?
If the third field of your firmware version number: 5.8.7.0.1 is larger than 7 this jail break will not work on your device.
That means it will not work on: 5.8.8, 5.8.9, 5.8.10, ..., 5.8.99999999.
Please do not even think of asking if this message still means what is written. The message is kept current.
I really, truly mean it.
You need read no further in that post or in that thread.
Of course you are welcome to try, and if you can figure out a way to install an older firmware on a device running 5.8.10 (without a serial port connection), we would like to know how you did it.

The sticky jail break index thread certainly does mention a serial port jail break.

Last edited by knc1; 09-24-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-25-2017, 06:59 AM   #5
zakazak

Quote:
What part of you can't do that do you not believe?
When I write:
I really, truly mean it.
You need read no further in that post or in that thread.
Of course you are welcome to try, and if you can figure out a way to install an older firmware on a device running 5.8.10 (without a serial port connection), we would like to know how you did it.
That is exactly what I wrote ! The link your posted explains that 5.8.10 can't be jailbroken by following the instructions. And still you insisted that I should read and follow your instructions ?!?!

So finally we can both agree:
Your link won't be of any help for me.

Quote:
The sticky jail break index thread certainly does mention a serial port jail break.
You are probably referring to this one then?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541

While I should be able to do all this I am not sure if its worth the struggles to me.

I currently feel just dumb for doing a firmware update right after getting the Kindle Paperwhite 3. Not sure if it was at "5.8.7" (or previous) when shipped but chances are it was :/
Old 09-25-2017, 10:26 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakazak View Post
That is exactly what I wrote !
The link your posted explains that 5.8.10 can't be jailbroken by following the instructions.
And still you insisted that I should read and follow your instructions ?!?!
- - -
That is correct, so when you read that it can't be done, stop at that point.

Do not continue on, you have learned all that you need to know when you read that in your case, the post (and the thread) do not apply to your case.

Stopping when you discover that your device can not be jail broken is also "following directions" when the directions include (even an implied) "stop here".

I wrote that in the directions that 5.8.10 can not be jail broken with that method so that people knew all they needed to know from the post and thread when they reached that information.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
In your original post, read your step 2. Did you read on another site that could be done?
No, that firmware cannot be downgraded. Therefore, there is no software jailbreak.
That is in bright colors in the first thread.
If you have the skills and the tools then you can do a serial port jailbreak from the link knc1 gave.
Otherwise, you are stuck with a stock kindle.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 02:52 AM   #8
halentech
halentech began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Hello all. I do not understand why do you have problems to downgrade Kindle PW3 from 5.8.10. Because I did it yestreday and downgrade to 5.7.4 without problems... I bought new PW3 last week... Only one thing I did, and after sucessfull downgrade Kindle stuck at tree screen. I opened cmd and use diskpart command, enter list volumes and enter select volume 10 which was kindle. Now I have 5.7.4 with jailbreak and KUAL + Koreader without any serial hacking!

EDIT:
My kindle was new, with special offers and before update I ask Amaz for removing special offers and they did it... So downgrading of 5.8.10 is possible and I do not know, why it worked for me without problems.

Last edited by halentech; 11-06-2017 at 02:55 AM.
halentech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 AM   #9
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Device: Kindle PaperWhite Manga
Quote:
Originally Posted by halentech View Post
Hello all. I do not understand why do you have problems to downgrade Kindle PW3 from 5.8.10. Because I did it yestreday and downgrade to 5.7.4 without problems... I bought new PW3 last week... Only one thing I did, and after sucessfull downgrade Kindle stuck at tree screen. I opened cmd and use diskpart command, enter list volumes and enter select volume 10 which was kindle. Now I have 5.7.4 with jailbreak and KUAL + Koreader without any serial hacking!

EDIT:
My kindle was new, with special offers and before update I ask Amaz for removing special offers and they did it... So downgrading of 5.8.10 is possible and I do not know, why it worked for me without problems.
Wonder how you can do it.
PW3 with Fw 5.8.10 automatically remove *.bin file after un-plug from computer.
anhyeuviolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 03:25 AM   #10
halentech

I do not know. But it had worked for me, and I am really happy with it.

EDIT: I bought kindle on 10. years annivesary sale and downgrade worked...
Old 11-06-2017, 03:31 AM   #11
anhyeuviolet
Reset
anhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it isanhyeuviolet knows what time it is

Quote:
I do not know. But it had worked for me, and I am really happy with it.

EDIT: I bought kindle on 10. years annivesary sale and downgrade worked...
Can you please describe it ?
Which Fw came with your PW3 (out-of-box Fw) ?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:46 AM   #12
halentech

Hello, I bought kindle from amaz DE. Kindle PW3 G01 come with 5.8.10 fw in it. I ask support for removing ads and they did it. After that I did restart and upload 5.7.4 bin file to root of kindle. After usb eject I go to setting menu in kindle and select update. Update was started, took about 5 minutes. After that show screen with tree and hanged there. I connect udsb cable again and used diskpart command for selecting volume 10. After that kindle boot normally and I checked fw version in menu. It showed 5.7.4. So I upload html hack, after use I upload jailbreak and all worked.

One strange thing is that this Kindle does not react for usb safely unplug command from OS, still display a USB connection screen. This behaviour this kindle does all the time I took it from box and firstly connect to PC and still it do it same.
Old 11-06-2017, 03:50 AM   #13
anhyeuviolet
Reset

Thank you !
That should be special case.
Mine cannot downgrade with soft-method.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
richiewu
richiewu began at the beginning.

Device: KPW3
Quote:
Hello, I bought kindle from amaz DE. Kindle PW3 G01 come with 5.8.10 fw in it. I ask support for removing ads and they did it. After that I did restart and upload 5.7.4 bin file to root of kindle. After usb eject I go to setting menu in kindle and select update. Update was started, took about 5 minutes. After that show screen with tree and hanged there. I connect udsb cable again and used diskpart command for selecting volume 10. After that kindle boot normally and I checked fw version in menu. It showed 5.7.4. So I upload html hack, after use I upload jailbreak and all worked.

One strange thing is that this Kindle does not react for usb safely unplug command from OS, still display a USB connection screen. This behaviour this kindle does all the time I took it from box and firstly connect to PC and still it do it same.
I tried and failed,
The step to update when I eject Kindle and the update file deleted automatically, If I long press power button to force update got error 16
richiewu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:05 AM   #15
halentech

UPDATE after week.
I accidentally left WiFi on and Kindle upgraded itself to 5.9.2. KUAL stopped working... It was my mistake.

So I did reset to factory default and jailbrek was survived but not 100%. So I uploaded after factory reset 1.14JB bin to kindle and eject USB, then I normally select update Kindle and Kindle was restarted and updated OK. After that I uploaded MRPI and kual installation to Kindle and launch it through ;log ...command in search bar to install KUAL back. KUAL is now working perfectly on 5.9.2. So definitively my Kindle somehow ignore one bin update file.. If I try it now, file is imediatelly deleted after USB eject, but after reset it allowed one bin update...