Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #31
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Was hoping for some handwritten annotation ability...bummer! Why does no one see the need for this!!!
Because I believe Jobs must have decided that "nobody writes anymore".

Last edited by brecklundin; 01-27-2010 at 01:49 PM.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:46 PM   #32
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
because your saying pretty much the longest battery life currently available on a portable device with HD resolution video is 'meh'.

It seems a silly statement as its not an eink ereader screen so complaining it doesnt have the battery life of an eink reader is like me going.

"oh the new kindle cant play HD video, meh"

"The sony reader only has 4000 page turn battery, my LCD watch can tell the time for over a year without a recharge, meh"
This is 'meh' for me because if I want to watch video for 10+ hours, especially HD video I won't be watching it on a portable tablet, it will be on a 40+ inch screen with a good sound system and in a nice relaxed position. If you didn't realise what site you're on, this is 'Mobileread' not 'Mobilevideo' or 'Mobilegaming'....if I wanted games and videos I would think this was 'meh' too, because it's too big for that function and I like using a joypad/mouse/keyboard also. For 'reading' this isn't what I need or want either, and it doesn't fit my reading habits...which is basically charge-once, pick up at my convenience without having to think about battery life.

You apple fanbois are a pain in the arse.

(posting this from an Apple iMac, FYI)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:48 PM   #33
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If this were a year ago, it would have been my dream device and I never would have bought the Sony or Kindle. But now I am really glad I have the Kindle because of the text to speech feature. I would consider using this as a netbook replacement depending on price, though. I teach with my netbook and it's a pain to always have to plug it in and lug around the power plug and everything. IF the Kindle app had text to speech and ALL Kindle features, then that might change my mind.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:49 PM   #34
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Isn't it strange that they haven't come to eBooks yet since the iPad was touted as "Kindle killer" by media, I would have thought that would be the major selling point...
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
Pretty safe bet there will be an app for that

and you can get capacative styli so you should be fine.
Thanks for the comforting words.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #36
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
This is 'meh' for me because if I want to watch video for 10+ hours, especially HD video I won't be watching it on a portable tablet, it will be on a 40+ inch screen with a good sound system and in a nice relaxed position. If you didn't realise what site you're on, this is 'Mobileread' not 'Mobilevideo' or 'Mobilegaming'....if I wanted games and videos I would think this was 'meh' too, because it's too big for that function and I like using a joypad/mouse/keyboard also. For 'reading' this isn't what I need or want either, and it doesn't fit my reading habits...which is basically charge-once, pick up at my convenience without having to think about battery life.

But even though this is mobleread, it doesn't mean there aren't people here who are interested in devices they can read on, but also do a ton of other stuff.

At most I'll read for an hour or two a day, between reading a novel before sleeping on my kindle and reading printouts of academic PDFs, physical academic books etc.

I could get more utility of of a device like this than I can my Kindle (though this doesn't look like the ideal tablet for me). And it would be great for traveling since I can't read for more than an hour or two even on long, international flights as I get bored with it.

With something like this I could read for a while, surf then net if the flight has wifi, watch movies, play games etc. All in one small, light devices. Where to do that now I have to take my Kindle, my laptop and a portable gaming console like the Nintendo DS.

As you harp on the name of this site, this is Mobileread.com. Not e-ink.com. Any device that can display e-books is relevant to discuss here (see the forums on smartphones and PDAs etc. You e-ink fanbois really are a pain in the arse.

Hopefully once more Tablet devices are out we can get a sub-forum area for tablets so every tablet thread isn't derailed by e-ink loyalists.

There's plenty of room for all types of devices in the market, and it's frustrating that all discussion of tablets devolves into the same bashing by the e-ink fans/avid readers who aren't the target market for such devices (nor the sole focus of this website). Hence why I haven't posted much the past few weeks as it's just the same stale crap over and over.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 01-27-2010 at 01:54 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:51 PM   #37
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
Because I believe Jobs must have decided that "nobody writes anymore".
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #38
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Was hoping for some handwritten annotation ability...bummer! Why does no one see the need for this!!!

Yeah, that kills this device for me, as any tablet I buy needs to be able to mark up and annotate PDFs so I can use it for my academic work.

But I didn't expect it to have it as I figured it would be finger touch based like the iPhone. My real hope is that it sells ok and we get a slew of competing tablets coming out and hopefully some of them will have good stylus writing ability.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #39
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:

I would Never be away from a socket for over 10 hours of continuos pad use.

this isnt the device for you but the fact is taht for a device that can do what this can that 10 hours of movie watching is very very good.

your 40" screen is far too big for me to carry on the train and I have no chance of getting it on a plane. that doesnt mean I feel the need to go "40 inch screen, meh"

If all you do is read then fine eink it is for you. But I read, browse the web, and play games oh and watch films and listen to music. a dedicated ereader with 40hrs battery that cant do any of that, meh!

Im not typing this on one of my 5 eink reading devices because...I cant.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
If you didn't realise what site you're on, this is 'Mobileread' not 'Mobilevideo' or 'Mobilegaming'....
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #41
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
looks like we're getting to it - iBooks
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #42
markman
Enthusiast
markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.markman knows what's going on.

Device: Aluratek Libre, Sony PRS350
Here comes the "kindle killer" part!
markman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:54 PM   #43
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Looks like they are getting to eBooks now. The iBook reader app...
Looks a lot like Sony reader ... at least the shelves part
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #44
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
here they come books interface looks like Librarything and I love that
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:55 PM   #45
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Jobs: "Don't think of this device as a tablet, but a giant credit card. With it, you can buy all sorts of things in itunes and in the apps store. And the price is $800. BUT ONE MORE THING! For one year, iPad users will get a 10% discount on all their itunes and apps purchases. Knowing you guys, the device will practically pay for itself in no time. BOOM!"

Last edited by badbob001; 01-27-2010 at 01:57 PM.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote