Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 04:06 AM   #196
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Yes, it's new.
So are the DX's that Amazon itself coughs up from time to time.
Those aren't refurbs or third party sales.

According to Wiki, the Aura 2nd Ed was released in Sept 2016. And just to reiterate, the Kindle Basic was released in June 2016.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #197
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The $20 Amazon charges to remove ads feels like such a screw job and puts me off buying any of their tech.

The Paperwhite 4 looks very nice. But it's priced about the same as the Glowlight 3 and Clara HD and they don't have ads.
My PW2's ads are not the least bit intrusive or irritating, and they are always book/reading related.

BUT

I bought my wife a 10" fire tablet with ads to replace a wonderful 8" Lenovo that she treated badly, and it drives me insane when I see it. Those ads are 10 inches of color and bad art (So Far, games aimed at 11 year old boys). She claims it doesn't bother her, she just ignores them, but I hate them, just hate them.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 08:29 AM   #198
Byjuak
Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Byjuak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
I like it, I think I will get it after Christmas after reading some reviews.

Still no word on CPU/RAM? Faster indexing but seemless page transition would be most satisfactory with long-term reading.
Byjuak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:29 AM   #199
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Oh, sure. Kobo is wonderfully customizable. I was just replying to post #154

Not only does Kobo have them, they're free!
But much worse (fewer definitions) than the paid-for Amazon ones, at least for the one I tried (English-German). I would welcome the ability to buy the Amazon dictionary for a Kobo.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 02:51 PM   #200
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Soon the features of the PW4 is going to be the mainstream 6" reader and others have to match it. The Clara 2 when it comes out next year will have to add water proofing to stay competetive with the PW.
I hope so. Waterproofing AND color changing frontlight would finally prompt me to update my Aura. Each feature sounds nice individually, but neither is enough for me to justify replacing a reader I'm otherwise happy with.

Quote:
Amazon OTOH can sell their readers without color changing leds, because non of their premium readers ever had them. Kobo cannot afford to introduce the next reader without color changing leds, because they promoted them as necessary.
I don't know about that. Have you read the comments here? Will you buy the Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 4?

I know, I know. A self selective example. But if next cycle Kobo has a 6" reader with waterproofing, color changing light and direct access to Overdrive and Amazon introduces a new Paperwhite with only slightly tuned-up internals, they are going to take a beating in all the reviews.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2018, 02:58 PM   #201
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
My PW2's ads are not the least bit intrusive or irritating, and they are always book/reading related.
As Gary Coleman so wisely taught us, diff'rent strokes for different folks. Whenever I look at someone's Kindle and see the ad in place of a screensaver, I think bad thoughts about Amazon. It's like, each time I see that Amazon is saying "yeah, we kinda suck."

Quote:
I bought my wife a 10" fire tablet with ads... I hate them, just hate them.
What's important is, we both hate
Old 10-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #202
stuartjmz
Nameless Being

Quote:
As Gary Coleman so wisely taught us, diff'rent strokes for different folks. Whenever I look at someone's Kindle and see the ad in place of a screensaver, I think bad thoughts about Amazon. It's like, each time I see that Amazon is saying "yeah, we kinda suck."

What's important is, we both hate
I have owned 3 Kindles and always bought the ad-free version, because I too am a hater . The fact the Clara is fractionally cheaper here than the ad-free PW3 was nice bonus, and even the Kobo Store is WAY less intrusive on the device than the Kindle store ever was.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:08 PM   #203
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The fact the Clara is fractionally cheaper here than the ad-free PW3 was nice bonus...
Here the Clara HD and the Paperwhite 4 with ads cost exactly the same.
If Kobo and Walmart could get their act together, actually get the Clara in stock and promote it, they could really have something.

Of course, if wishes were horses...
Old 10-22-2018, 03:12 PM   #204
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Add in the plastic screen substrate, and you have Kobo Forma top end model feature in an entry level lighted reader. That is also an upgrade from the Voyage with glass substrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjmz View Post
The plastic substrate is definitely a big
Are you saying that the PW4 has a plastic display substrate?

Where is that documented? Unless waterproofing added significant weight the PW4 seems a bit heavy for plastic substrate.

Last edited by j.p.s; 10-22-2018 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:22 PM   #205
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
I know, I know. A self selective example. But if next cycle Kobo has a 6" reader with waterproofing, color changing light and direct access to Overdrive and Amazon introduces a new Paperwhite with only slightly tuned-up internals, they are going to take a beating in all the reviews.
We shall see. Stuffing all that in is going to effect the price. First Kobo has to get more marketshare (at least here in the US). Partnering with Walmart may not have been the wisest decision. Everywhere else in the world it appears Kobo used retailers that are actually experienced and interested in selling ebooks / ereaders.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:25 PM   #206
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Are you saying that the PW4 has a plastic display substrate?

Where is that documented? Unless waterproofing added significant weight th3 PW4 seems a bit heavy for plastic substrate.
Here, unless it is wrong.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/364338/ha...dle-paperwhite

Quote:
Amazon is using a plastic-backed 300ppi E Ink display, but it isn't E Ink Mobius; it's the company's own design.
Weight - it does have a glass front instead of plastic on the PW1-3, but still lower weight.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:35 PM   #207
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks! That's great news if it is true.

If it is true, I wonder why amazon isn't touting the increased robustness. Maybe they are afraid people will sit on it, then complain when it breaks.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #208
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The Aura is "last year's model" no?
Leftovers superceded by this year's Clara intro.
It gets muddy if you count everything floating around. Last I looked there were still Kindle DXs, Sony T1s, and Nook STRs, allegedly new, floating around.
No muddy waters as far as I can see. Kobo has 5 ereaders in their current lineup. Amazon has 3. As seen on their main ereader store pages. US list prices w/o special offers:

Aura $120
Clara $130
H2O $180
Aura One $230
Forma $280

Kindle $100
Paperwhite $150
Oasis $270

Yes, the basic Kindle is often on sale. It needs to be -- it's last decade's model! (800x600 Pearl 167ppi screen, no front light)
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #209
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Yes, the basic Kindle is often on sale. It needs to be -- it's last decade's model! (800x600 Pearl 167ppi screen, no front light)
Would you trust a small kid with anything more expensive? Think about the children, not just adults. And also children do not need a reader with built in light to read when they are supposed to be sleeping.
Old 10-22-2018, 03:54 PM   #210
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Here the Clara HD and the Paperwhite 4 with ads cost exactly the same.
If Kobo and Walmart could get their act together, actually get the Clara in stock and promote it, they could really have something.
Yes, but (as mentioned in another thread) Kindles are always going on sale. Wait for the next Paperwhite sale then, even with the additional $20 for no ads, you will still match the Clara's price — maybe even be cheaper (depending on the sale).

Personally the ads don't bother me that much.

We'll see what happens when Walmart adds Kobo to their floorplan (supposedly by next April). But I agree, the Clara seems to be the right one to promote at Walmart — but, at this point, they don't even have them in stock online. So it might be that the stock is just not there yet.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote