Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #31
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
The fact that they are displaying this in their top banner today makes me think something new is imminent!! Later this week?? It’s so obvious they have been clearing out their stock of Paperwhites for the past few weeks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9C0ED5A1-7E6B-4FFB-B935-9C8A83F49BDA.jpeg
Views:	358
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	166822  
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 04:59 PM   #32
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My dream ereader would be great at website viewing - I spend a lot of time looking at forums and newspaper websites and reading reviews and comments, so it would be great to do this on an e-ink screen instead of my iPad.

It would have excellent battery life, where I wouldn’t have to think about the battery for a full week of solid reading. I don’t care about spurious 'weeks', just give me an honest full week, and I’d be more than happy.

Maybe a larger screen, but without additional heaviness, I’m quite tempted by the Forma as it has the larger screen and is the same weight as the Oasis, but perhaps with the wasted space on kobo screens, there won’t be that much difference between the 7” Oasis and this.

Things on my dream ereader wish list that have already been fulfilled by my Oasis 7”:
Waterproofing, ideal for me as I like to read in the bath, pool and spa tub.
Wonderful dictionaries.
Even lighting. (Finally, )
Larger screen.
More premium appearance/feel.
Easy book borrowing from my local library (I always have my iPad near and it’s very easy to browse and check out on that, then send to kindle from the amazon website - it all takes about ten seconds).
Great selection of newspapers and magazines from all over the world - this will always send me running back to amazon as Kobo doesn't provide subscriptions any more...

I thought I wanted the audible function, but I struggle to care about this in practice. (Mostly because it causes the battery counter to count down in real time, horrifyingly. )
Advert
Old 10-09-2018, 06:43 PM   #33
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I think a New Paperwhite will be offered soon, looking forward to seeing what's next. I really hope it has some type of buttons, preferably one on each side and keep they battery it has now, and a flush screen like the Voyage too. Ok I want it to be a Paper\Voyage. Have it in 2 sizes 6 and 7. Something for everyone.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:11 AM   #34
mikij1
Connoisseur
mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikij1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Perhaps Kindle DX 10,3"....
mikij1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #35
Steve H
Connoisseur
Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steve H ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle HDX, Paperwhite, Oasis2
Hopefully Amazon goes big and comes out with a Kindle DX2...9.7" with Mobius tech to keep it lightweight. Lighting control included.
Steve H is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 05:34 AM   #36
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
The fact that they are displaying this in their top banner today makes me think something new is imminent!! Later this week?? It’s so obvious they have been clearing out their stock of Paperwhites for the past few weeks...
this happened:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...nch-next-week/

Last edited by Nate the great; 10-12-2018 at 04:31 PM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 06:38 AM   #37
Pjama
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
this happened:
https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/...nch-next-week/

I asked, and they won't tell me anything without an embargo
Yesss, I knew it! However, the kindle being unwrapped in the picture clearly has a massive top bezel, so it doesn't look as if this will be for me. Still exciting though, and less than a week away! But, why China first?

Last edited by Pjama; 10-11-2018 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #38
kyôdai
Zealot
kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyôdai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I don't think the Paperwhite 4 will get any "new" features, that the Oasis 2 does not already have. (Like a comfort light.)

Amazon usually reserves new features for their more expensive premium devices. Older models either get discontinued or minor hand-me-downs. So I would not expect anything new until the Oasis 3, next year.

My guess for the Paperwhite 4 would be Bluetooth (for audio capabilities), bigger storage and a new (slimmer / lighter) case, maybe with a flush screen.
kyôdai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 07:25 AM   #39
ChrisHistorian76
Enthusiast
ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ChrisHistorian76 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova Air & Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
Yesss, I knew it! However, the kindle being unwrapped in the picture clearly has a masssove top bezel, so it docen't look as if this will be for me. Still exciting though, and less than a week away! But, why China first?
This rumor got me to finally remember to register for Mobileread

This is a really odd rumor/report. I'm really not sure what to make of it.

The link everybody's posted to support the report is to a Chinese website. The image doesn't appear on either the Amazon.com or Kindle pages on Weibo.

If the Google translation of the post on that site is accurate (always a dubious assumption), it doesn't claim Amazon's going to announce a new Kindle on October 17. However, if you go to that Chinese website's home page and do the automatic Google translation, it does have a headline that claims "the Digital Tail" and "Ai Farner" posted a microblog (presumably on Weibo?) with the image and the other details about the event on October 17.

This one is extremely odd. Especially because the bezel in the image looks bigger than the current Paperwhite. I hate to be a Debby Downer, but I think it's probably more likely that Amazon's either introducing the Paperwhite 3 into China or they're releasing a new version of the "Kindle Migu." The Migu is an e-ink device Amazon released specifically in China in June 2017. In addition to purchasing ebooks from Amazon, it lets Chinese readers purchase books from Migu, an ebook store run by the Chinese government owned company China Mobile.
ChrisHistorian76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 08:30 AM   #40
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Over the past few years many of Amazon's new e-reader features have been implemented as changes to KFX format. Those include enhanced typesetting, page flip, left align text, improved manga (kindle), continuous scrolling (ios), Indic languages, Arabic, etc. Many of these changes were apparent as inactive features hidden in software releases well before their official announcement.

For the past year most of the behind-the-scenes changes in KFX have been related to Asian language support. This adds support to the idea of a new Kindle that is focused on the Chinese market.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:04 AM   #41
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Over the past few years many of Amazon's new e-reader features have been implemented as changes to KFX format. Those include enhanced typesetting, page flip, left align text, improved manga (kindle), continuous scrolling (ios), Indic languages, Arabic, etc. Many of these changes were apparent as inactive features hidden in software releases well before their official announcement.

For the past year most of the behind-the-scenes changes in KFX have been related to Asian language support. This adds support to the idea of a new Kindle that is focused on the Chinese market.
That makes sense, it probably is for the Chinese market. I guess we still have to wait for something new. Hopefully this year.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:08 AM   #42
Pjama
Guru

It would make sense strategically for amazon to announce a new/upgraded model just before the Kobo Forma preorder page goes live on the 16th. (If they are going to announce anything at all, I mean).
Old 10-11-2018, 10:38 AM   #43
coplate
Guru
coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coplate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-505, Kindle Keyboard 3g, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wearever View Post
That makes sense, it probably is for the Chinese market. I guess we still have to wait for something new. Hopefully this year.
Well, they already have an android based version of the Kindle basic for china ( same 167 ppi screen, no light )
https://www.amazon.cn/dp/B074JJ4WLF
[ Yes, I have downloaded the source code and software updates for this one, it definitely is android based - https://www.amazon.cn/gp/help/custom...eId=202167860]

So I would not be terribly surprised if they release an android based paperwhite, either under this same co-brand they are doing the above for, or just as a general release.

I'm personally convinced they are saving the 6.x.x software range for android.

From that link above, the software update download link is named "Software update 5.7.2.3", but the actual file is named update-kindle-6.1.2_user_612491020.bin
coplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:14 PM   #44
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyôdai View Post
I don't think the Paperwhite 4 will get any "new" features, that the Oasis 2 does not already have. (Like a comfort light.)

Amazon usually reserves new features for their more expensive premium devices. Older models either get discontinued or minor hand-me-downs. So I would not expect anything new until the Oasis 3, next year.

My guess for the Paperwhite 4 would be Bluetooth (for audio capabilities), bigger storage and a new (slimmer / lighter) case, maybe with a flush screen.
You are correct, although that's still depressing considering other companies have released versions comparable to the Paperwhite in price for years with these features already. *cough* Waterproofing *cough*

I could care less about Bluetooth, but bigger storage would be nice. I do want the hardware a bit update though, they keep reusing and it's downright slow.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 12:23 PM   #45
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by coplate View Post
I'm personally convinced they are saving the 6.x.x software range for android.
That's depressing.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote