Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-15-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
1joserivera
1joserivera began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Buying a Kindle which can't register to Amazon

Good night everyone, I'm new here, and this is my first thread
My Kindle voyage was stolen last week, and I'm looking for an used eReader.
I found a Kindle Paperwhite 7 gen on OLX(website where you sell used stuff) but the owner says it can't be registered on Amazon.
Would it be a problem if I buy the books from another site?
Or can it be solved?
I have my doubts if it's stolen or something.
1joserivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 08:54 PM   #2
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1joserivera View Post
Good night everyone, I'm new here, and this is my first thread
My Kindle voyage was stolen last week, and I'm looking for an used eReader.
I found a Kindle Paperwhite 7 gen on OLX(website where you sell used stuff) but the owner says it can't be registered on Amazon.
Would it be a problem if I buy the books from another site?
Or can it be solved?
I bought a Kindle at a pawn shop. It was blacklisted. I got hold of Amazon to report it and all they did was suggest I return it to the pawn shop(?). At any rate, my dad won't use WiFi, so I set it up for him. It works fine on side-loaded books. I don't think he has the use of the dictionary, however. (I can't remember for sure.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 03:52 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Given that blacklisted at Amazon probably means reported stolen, please consider the ethics of buying stolen goods. How would you feel about someone re-selling the one that was recently stolen from you, for profit ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:45 AM   #4
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
I have no experience with Kindles, so what follows is just a conjecture.

When you buy Amazon/Kindle e-books, they remain in the cloud. Downloading them is optional. After your e-reading device gets stolen, you can still access the purchased e-books in another device via Kindle app. If this is right, your Amazon/Kindle e-books should be still accessible on e.g. smartphone and you can optionally download them to upload/sideload on some different device.

If you have no plans buying more e-books from Amazon/Kindle, there is no reason for you to stick to a Kindle e-reader either. All other e-readers can read mobi files, epub files, pdfs, docs, html, and more. Your choice is wide. The only thing the other e-readers miss is a Kindle app to buy e-books from Amazon (except that Android-powered e-readers can have the Kindle app available, because there is a Kindle app for Android, but I have heard that the Kindle app behaves a bit wonky on Android and is not optimized for eink).

Should the desire arise to buy more e-books from Amazon/Kindle, you can do so via the Kindle app on the smartphone. If I have understood correctly, it is possible to download those purchases as concrete files to transfer on any other device you may have. If downloading is not possible, I see no reason to pay for it in the first place because there would be no concrete thing I'm paying for.

As for me, sideloading concrete mobi, epub, pdf, etc. files on my devices is the norm. I rarely pay for an e-book. The internet is full of free files to read. This means I am also free to pick the device for reading, as big or as small or as cheap as I want, whatever brand I want, as long as they have a microSD slot so I can stick my e-library there or a cable connection so I can transfer the files.

Last edited by mobama; 09-16-2018 at 04:48 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 04:58 AM   #5
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

all true - but the question asked was should I buy a used + blacklisted= i.e. stolen reader, to read with , not " how to I retrieve the books I already paid for "
to me its a no brainer - NO - buying blacklisted devices just encourages theft, and the OP is a recent victim of that. if he decides YES and finds he has just bought back the one he has had stolen, well there's some poetic justice in there somewhere

PS yes the internet is full of " free files to read "- but there's a difference between free and legal - be careful what you brag about here
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 05:07 AM   #6
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
all true - but the question asked was should I buy a used + blacklisted= i.e. stolen reader, to read with , not " how to I retrieve the books I already paid for "
to me its a no brainer - NO
To me it's a no-brainer too, so much so that it's not even worth mentioning. The fact that the OP is now free to explore other options besides a Kindle should make it even more clear that getting a blacklisted Kindle is nonsense.

Edit: Here's a recent comment saying that Kindle app seems to work satisfactorily on an eink Android device https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...92&postcount=7

Last edited by mobama; 09-16-2018 at 05:09 AM.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:43 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1joserivera View Post
the owner says it can't be registered on Amazon.
[...]
It's stolen (or lost). Amazon don't blacklist Kindles for any other reason. It's not possible for anyone except Amazon to un-blacklist a Kindle, and I've never heard of them doing so.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 AM   #8
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Short answer. No. Don't buy it.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 AM   #9
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
It's stolen (or lost). Amazon don't blacklist Kindles for any other reason. It's not possible for anyone except Amazon to un-blacklist a Kindle, and I've never heard of them doing so.
i think they blocked then unblocked a basic kindle for me - a while ago. What happened was - it was the one my wife used for travel - it vanished and after weeks of searching I called amazon, hoping they could tell us where/when it was last on line - as a possible clue to where she may have left it. They could not do that but I think they suggested blocking it as lost, & I agreed... [ but they may have simply de-registered it - I cannot remember exactly...]
at the time we were thinking she might have left it in a cafe or on a bus, or in a hotel...[ all places that she has left a phone! ]

Anyway, sometime after that, I found out what had really happened, it had been on a bedroom chest of drawers and had slid down though the gap between that and the bedroom wall. So when we were searching for something else & actually took out the bottom drawer - & there it was at the back. Flat battery but otherwise OK.
I called amazon & explained & they kindly turned it back on. but whether that was a blacklist or a simple de-register I don't recall.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:57 AM   #10
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Amazon will remove the blacklisting for the original owner who first reported it lost/stolen. But it does take a phone call, and of course they verify who you are first.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 09:16 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Amazon will remove the blacklisting for the original owner who first reported it lost/stolen. But it does take a phone call, and of course they verify who you are first.
Makes sense, I think that is what happened in my case.my order history showed the original purchase.

I was surprised they do not store any usage, login activity for kindles and there is nothing like a find my device app that you can have on a phone

Last edited by stumped; 09-16-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:51 AM   #12
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Makes sense, I think that is what happened in my case.my order history showed the original purchase.

I was surprised they do not store any usage, login activity for kindles and there is nothing like a find my device app that you can have on a phone
Kindles can't run apps, and even if that were possible, Amazon won't get involved in trying to find and return a stolen device. The Fires do have a "find" option, or at least some do. But it's more for finding the Fire in your home and setting off an alarm so you can locate it.

Amazon of course has info that links the buyer with the device...the serial number springs to mind. We used to tell users to make a note of the device serial numbers in case a device goes missing and has been reset to factory, which removes it from Content & Devices. It could still be blacklisted unless already registered to another account, but you need to know the serial number.

But if a missing device has already been registered to another account, Amazon can't/won't do anything.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:43 PM   #13
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Given that blacklisted at Amazon probably means reported stolen, please consider the ethics of buying stolen goods. How would you feel about someone re-selling the one that was recently stolen from you, for profit ?
I understand that, that's why I called Amazon and gave them the serial number. Their suggestion was to return it back to the pawn shop so they could sell it again(?). It seemed kind of an odd reaction. I figured it didn't matter to them, I would just use it.

(Now I realize this was a general response on the subject. I'm sorry for being so dense today.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 02:03 PM   #14
stumped
Wizard

I figure that if Amazon did anything more than blacklisting e.g. if they remotely bricked devices that were reported stolen, assuming that is technically doable, they would get terrible pr and so don't want to go there.
So tolerating a pawn shop/ebay trade in blacklisted devices may seem the lesser evil
Also ,blacklisting is reversible, remote bricking probably is not.

And a suggestion from an Amazon cs may not be thought out, scripted amazon policy, it may just be an individual thinking out loud/ trying to be helpful.

Last edited by stumped; 09-16-2018 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Ignoring all the other stuff, you can sideload stuff to the unit. However, you can't use the dictionary and for me, that would be a deal killer. For this reason alone, I wouldn't use any Kindle that wouldn't register. There are many Kindles around that are NOT blacklisted - save your money for one of those. You will thank yourself for it.

Sometimes the kindles weren't stolen but were salvage. A shipment went astray, insurance covered it, it was found, and some dealer bought it from insurance company. Still, I wouldn't bother with one because there are just too many features that are blocked unless you can register it once.

Last edited by Tarana; 09-16-2018 at 08:38 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote