Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-06-2017, 06:35 AM   #1
FAMOsa
FAMOsa began at the beginning.

Device: none
bold and italics

I have my first manuscript in Sigil, but there are places where I want bold or italics or both. I make these changes in Sigil, but they don't appear when I close and re-open the bool.

I 1) highlight the word 2) Click on Format 3) Click on bold (or use keyboard shortcuts, and the italics or bold appear in Sigil.

Then I close the eBook and open it again, but the bold and italics are not there.
FAMOsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:28 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
You're either not saving the epub after making the formatting changes, or you're editing a different epub than you're subsequently re-opening.

I simply cannot reproduce your issue using the latest version of Sigil on Windows or Linux.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #3
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Could Sigil have created a new class (paragraph or span) to handle that formatting? The <i> etc would then disappear, because redundant. It regularly did that to me, until I created a p class="ital" to handle those situations.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:53 AM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Could Sigil have created a new class (paragraph or span) to handle that formatting? The <i> etc would then disappear, because redundant. It regularly did that to me, until I created a p class="ital" to handle those situations.
No. it couldn't have. The days of Sigil creating css classes and adding css to the head section of xhtml files are long gone. They went away with HTMLTidy.

Editing in Book View can create some spans with inline (and classless) styles, but those circumstances are neither fickle, nor temporary. When properly saved, bold and italicized words/phrases stay that way.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-09-2017 at 08:42 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
FAMOsa
FAMOsa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Actually, it works now. I'm not sure what I did wrong. However I now have another problem. I want to change the font and, I can't see how to do that. I want some parts in Arial, which seems to be the default, but I want some parts in Times New Roman.

Last edited by FAMOsa; 09-09-2017 at 08:26 AM.
FAMOsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2017, 08:42 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You need to brush up on how epubs are constructed. You need to use css to define various font-faces and use css selectors to apply them to the various html elements. Then you need to consider whether to embed the fonts in the epub, or to provide fallback generic font-families in case the readers you're targeting don't have the specific font you designated. If you choose to embed the fonts, you also need to consider a font's licensing terms.

Regardless... how to specify different fonts for your EPUB isn't really a Sigil-specific topic. It's more appropriate to the EPUB forum in general.
Old 09-09-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
FAMOsa, you can find some basic info on building ebooks in MR's Wiki, with specific info about ePubs on the ePub page.

You can also find a great reference source that has a lot of tutorials on how CSS works at the W3Schools website.

You can also take a look at some of the free ebooks on MR's ePub library to see examples of how they did things.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 12:15 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMOsa View Post
Actually, it works now. I'm not sure what I did wrong. However I now have another problem. I want to change the font and, I can't see how to do that. I want some parts in Arial, which seems to be the default, but I want some parts in Times New Roman.
Do you have the rights to embed these fonts in your ePub? You'd be far better to use the default font which is usually a serif and where you want Arial you can put in font-family: sans-serif; in the CSS class(es). That will use the reading software's default font and the default sans-serif font. Then you would not need to license Times New Roman and Arial.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote