Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 03-05-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
CIA: The World Factbook 2005. v1. 5 Mar 2008

This is a mobipocket conversion from my source used to create the REB 1200 .IMP ebook several years ago. It contains many facts and figures collected by the CIA for 'reference purposes'.

Although newer versions are available online, I believe most of the information contained herein is still relevant.

According to the FAQs located at https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...docs/faqs.html
Can I use some or all of The World Factbook for my Web site (book, research project, homework, etc.)?

The World Factbook is in the public domain and may be used freely by anyone at anytime without seeking permission. However, US Code prohibits use of the CIA seal in a manner which implies that the CIA approved, endorsed, or authorized such use. If you have any questions about your intended use, you should consult with legal counsel. Further information on The World Factbook's use is described on the Contributors and Copyright Information page. As a courtesy, please cite The World Factbook when used.
As this is my first .prc offering, just let me know if there are any issues with this ebook. I don't have any appropriate hardware reader to test this out myself.

EDIT: added a 'High Compression' version (ends with '_high.prc')
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc CIA_World_Factbook_2005.prc (8.41 MB, 1290 views)
File Type: prc CIA_World_Factbook_2005_high.prc (4.85 MB, 829 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 05-15-2008 at 11:22 AM. Reason: added a 'High Compression' version
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Do you have a Windows PC, Nick? If so, download the free Windows MobiPocket Reader from http://www.mobipocket.com and try out your book on that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you have a Windows PC, Nick? If so, download the free Windows MobiPocket Reader from http://www.mobipocket.com and try out your book on that.
Yes I have a Windows PC with XP Pro. A PC viewer was installed along with Mobipocket Creator (build 40).

What I wasn't too sure about was the actual 'display' size of the images, unless, of course, the PC Viewer is the same form factor as the hardware readers, then this is a moot point.

Oh well, if there are no complaints, then it must have worked fine!

p.s. still no luck with the mobi to lrf conversion; I aborted it after 12 hours with no progress indicators.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #4
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
It does work fine -- but it's quite a big book and not the sort I will use often. Much less read straight through! I wonder if we could get just the MAPS pulled out, and put into a separate book. Those are fascinating, and useful.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 11:06 PM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
It does work fine -- but it's quite a big book and not the sort I will use often. Much less read straight through! I wonder if we could get just the MAPS pulled out, and put into a separate book. Those are fascinating, and useful.
I used 'Standard Compression' when making the .prc using Mobipocket Creator and that explains the file size.

I had tried 'High Compression' and produced a .prc about half the size, but wanted users to be able to use the Mobiperl scripts created by tompe. If there is interest, I could upload the 'High Compression' version.

After using mobi2html on this .prc, you can easily strip out (i.e. delete the images), re-build it and make a smaller ebook.

Conversely, to make a new ebook with just the maps, would involve a much more onerous editing process. I will leave that as an excercise to the reader ...
Advert
Old 03-08-2008, 12:24 PM   #6
nrapallo

Check the 'High Compression' version here for those that want it.

Be advised that this version may not be "usable' with the Mobiperl suite of programs. In that case, just use the (original) 'Standard Compression' version.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The maps are not working for me on my Cybook. I did see maps on my N810 and using FBReader. But with FBReader it took very long time to load the book (it probably just unpack everything).

Also on the Cybook there are som bugs in the display since I get half lines displayed. Maybe you have used a table and the table display does not work properly.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 01:18 PM   #8
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
The "Flags of the world" link jumps to a blank page on my Cybook. It works on the N810 and FBReader.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
The "Flags of the world" link jumps to a blank page on my Cybook. It works on the N810 and FBReader.
I think the Cybook behaviour is the right one.

When I made this ebook (several years ago) I wanted to limit the number of links and graphic elements included, so that it would be easier on my ebook reader (REB 1200).

To that end, what I did was use the 'print-friendly' pages of a main country entry. To do that, I "abandoned" the links from the flags to the countries pages. This is why the Cybook can't follow the link.

The reason the N810 and FBReader may work is because the flags' trailing filename of the link is the same as the 'print-friendly' filename, just in another directory i.e. main country pages in 'geos' directory whereas 'print-friendly' page in 'print' directory. By design, the flags' links go to the 'geos' directory, but those files were not included. Follow?

Also, I had taken the source from a mirror of the CIA website, malloppo.altervista.org, which doesn't exist anymore, so you can't follow most of the internet links.

By the way, there are numerous tables used throughout which needed to be fixed before they would display properly. I could have missed some tables and that is why the Cybook 'breaks' there.

I may do an update of the CIA World Factbook, so I will try to correct these issues then.