Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2018, 09:26 AM   #1
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
author aka names

I'm sure this is somewhere here, but I can't find it. How do folks handle authors who use multiple names depending on the type of book? For example, Ann Maxwell (sort of SF) is also Elizabeth Lowell (mystery/romance). If it is an Ann Maxwell book I still want to know other name is Elizabeth Lowell, but I want to differentiate between this and multiple different authors for a book. I tried Ann Maxwell aka Elizabeth Lowell, but then EL doesn't show up under authors. I've been using tags, but that is getting out of hand - also tried a user field "notes", but it is used so seldom that it just takes up space on the screen.

Thanks for any help.
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Pseudonymous Authors

"Pseudonymous Authors" is one of the 56 tools within the "Job Spy" plug-in.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269911

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 09:47 AM   #3
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
"Pseudonymous Authors" is one of the 56 tools within the "Job Spy" plug-in.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=269911

DaltonST
I tried that, but got the following error:

calibre, version 3.32.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>UnboundLocalError</b>:local variable 'mi_field' referenced before assignment
Old 10-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It works totally fine for me and everyone else. So, apparently you did not set things up properly for yourself.

Did you search the JS thread for "pseudonymous authors" to find the posting with resources?

Did you first create the correct type of Custom Column (exactly as specified in the JS customizing ToolTips) you specified in the settings and immediately restart Calibre?

Did you import a correctly formatted CSV file?

Did you then export to a CSV file just to ensure that what you uploaded was correctly updated in Calibre, and came back the way you sent it?

DaltonST

p.s. I find it surprising that you hit enter on your reply to my previous post exactly 10 minutes after I hit enter on it. 10 minutes for you to download a brand new plug-in, customize it, customize a new Calibre Custom Column with the correct attributes, search the JS thread (as specified in the Original Post under "documentation") for resources for the Pseudonymous Authors tool, modify the template CSV file with your personal pseudonymous authors as you described in your post, upload it, etc., test it, then search for what you might have done wrong or missed entirely after you got an error. All in less than 10 minutes. Amazing.

Last edited by DaltonST; 10-22-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: added comments.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #5
peaceridge
Guru

Actually I've been using JS for quite some time, just never used that particular thing. Obviously I'm doing something wrong as I don't even know what a CVS file is. Thanks for trying to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
It works totally fine for me and everyone else. So, apparently you did not set things up properly for yourself.

Did you search the JS thread for "pseudonymous authors" to find the posting with resources?

Did you first create the correct type of Custom Column (exactly as specified in the JS customizing ToolTips) you specified in the settings and immediately restart Calibre?

Did you import a correctly formatted CSV file?

Did you then export to a CSV file just to ensure that what you uploaded was correctly updated in Calibre, and came back the way you sent it?

DaltonST

p.s. I find it surprising that you hit enter on your reply to my previous post exactly 10 minutes after I hit enter on it. 10 minutes for you to download a brand new plug-in, customize it, customize a new Calibre Custom Column with the correct attributes, search the JS thread (as specified in the Original Post under "documentation") for resources for the Pseudonymous Authors tool, modify the template CSV file with your personal pseudonymous authors as you described in your post, upload it, etc., test it, then search for what you might have done wrong or missed entirely after you got an error. All in less than 10 minutes. Amazing.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:49 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
I'm sure this is somewhere here, but I can't find it. How do folks handle authors who use multiple names depending on the type of book? For example, Ann Maxwell (sort of SF) is also Elizabeth Lowell (mystery/romance). If it is an Ann Maxwell book I still want to know other name is Elizabeth Lowell, but I want to differentiate between this and multiple different authors for a book. I tried Ann Maxwell aka Elizabeth Lowell, but then EL doesn't show up under authors. I've been using tags, but that is getting out of hand - also tried a user field "notes", but it is used so seldom that it just takes up space on the screen.

Thanks for any help.
I do it via a link to a common Evernote note in the Manage Authors Link field for each Author.

So, in calibre, the Link field for J. K. Rowling and Robert Galbraith reference the EN note for Joanne Rowling. Clicking either name in the Book Details pane will open the same EN Note.

I use EN to store all 'extra' data I want to keep for an author:- web page links (their own, wikipedia, facebook, publisher etc), interview recordings, obituaries, news clippings. . . and pseudonyms.

Added: more detail here ==>> Calibre and Evernote.

One could also use OneNote in the same way I use Evernote, its Notes also have a Copy Link feature. In fact one should be able to use anything that provides uri links to its objects and sets itself as the handler for the "<whatever>://blah blah" protocol.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-22-2018 at 05:21 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:16 AM   #7
peaceridge
Guru

Thanks to you both, at least I now know to use "pseudonymous authors" instead of "aka" - Court background so I didn't even think of the literary term "pseudonymous authors". When I get to a free wifi spot, I'm going to check into everything you mentioned. I travel most of the time and have limited wifi for research - appreciate the help.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:54 AM   #8
Grins
Connoisseur
Grins began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo(s), Pocketbook(s), MacBook Pro, iPhone
I use the option "&" available for two (or more) authors:

Maxwell, Ann & Lowell , Elizabeth

Thus it is easy to find both authors by searching just for one of them. The obvious disadvantage is that the "aka" information is missing.

Cheers

Grins
Grins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
peaceridge
Guru

That's what I've been doing with a Tag or Note about which name is on the particular book. In the middle of the night I had a thought about it. So, I've just tried Maxwell, Ann & Lowell, Elizabeth (aka) and Calibre is letting me do that. It causes 2 entries in "Authors" search (one under Lowell, Elizabeth and one under Lowell, Elizabeth (aka), but I can live with that until I check out the other solutions here. I do like a simplistic solution, though, so I may just stick with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grins View Post
I use the option "&" available for two (or more) authors:

Maxwell, Ann & Lowell , Elizabeth

Thus it is easy to find both authors by searching just for one of them. The obvious disadvantage is that the "aka" information is missing.

Cheers

Grins
Old 10-23-2018, 10:57 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
FWIW
I put the 'on the cover author, in Authors and the real author in#pseudo4 (I hate to type long winded names )
Exception #1: I standardize the Author name (eg Christopher Nuttall - Christopher G. Nuttall) in either pace

Exception #2 I put the books Editors (when it appears on cover or forward) name in Authors and the list of writers in #pseudo4. This keeps the filename from the SendTo template, tame

Be sure to modify Preferences: Searching: Similar Books (tab) and Grouped Searches (tab)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Similar Books.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	167147   Click image for larger version

Name:	Grouped Search.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	167148  
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:26 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Exception #2 I put the books Editors (when it appears on cover or forward) name in Authors and the list of writers in #pseudo4. This keeps the filename from the SendTo template, tame
Is the #psudo4 in the second image a typo?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Is the #psudo4 in the second image a typo?
No, that is my Author like field name, penned_as is the combined name (appears in the Tag browser, is a search field value, and is what pressing Alt A calls)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:07 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No, that is my Author like field name, penned_as is the combined name (appears in the Tag browser, is a search field value, and is what pressing Alt A calls)
What I was referring to was the value field where you have "authors, #psudo4". I was wondering if the #psudo4 was correct or if it was a typo and should have been #pseudo4?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Grouped Search.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	167185  
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
What I was referring to was the value field where you have "authors, #psudo4". I was wondering if the #psudo4 was correct or if it was a typo and should have been #pseudo4?
same typo in both places