Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-13-2018, 01:22 PM   #1
CitizenOfTheGala
CitizenOfTheGala began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Something with buttons that works well with Calibre

Good Afternoon Mobileread!
I'm looking for something to replace my Kindle Voyage. I really wanted to like it, and I was a big fan of the page-turning buttons, but it's just waaaay too clunky about sideloading books and managing large collections. The qualities I'm looking for are:
  • eink screen
  • On the smaller side (ie closer to 6 inches than 7 or 8)
  • Able to sync well with calibre, preferably with the ability of organize books into collections/folders/something. This is where Kindle has been the most frustrating to me.
  • Physical page-turning buttons of some kind. Having to swipe at a touchscreen just takes me right out of what I'm reading.
  • Good battery life

Do you wonderful people know of any readers that would check those boxes? I realize some of my preferences are not exactly what's 'hot' right now and that I may have to compromise, but I'd like to find something with as many of those features as possible. I am willing to tinker/jailbreak if it'll get reliable results.
CitizenOfTheGala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
This one ticks all the boxes https://youtu.be/IahmopAdtSs?t=62

And it has TTS, tinted frontlight, and microSD.
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I've had a few Pocketbook devices. They all worked well with Calibre and had physical buttons. But they always seemed slower at page turns than the other readers I've had, and I eventually ended up abandoning them. I sold (for a loss) two of them to help fund the next best thing, and have only kept the one I did because it has TTS and that might be useful someday. I probably ought to dig it out and give it a top off.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:44 PM   #4
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Sony ereaders fit most of that. They can be had secondhand but battery life varies. If you can find a T2 or T3 and are willing to take a chance, those are great ereaders. Not the newest and fastest out there but still my favorites of all the ereaders I own.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
I don't know about older Pocketbooks, but the InkPad 3 has instant page turns. No delay of any kind.

The Touch HD 2 does seem to tick all the boxes. Pocketbook's software supports all sorts of collections, you can view them based on tags, authors, series, and shelves.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:06 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Forget Sony Readers. They are just too slow and the software is too old. Plus, no front light and low resolution.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buttons, calibre, recommendation, recommendations