Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #91
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Yes that did the trick. I have pushed a fix to "too fast closing tabs" to master. With these changes, I can not get Sigil to crash anymore.

We should probably re-enable drag and drop of tabs full time again, and see if that is now stable enough. I would guess that is probably is now.

KevinH
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 11:38 AM   #92
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm OK with that (Drag 'n Drop).

Thanks for the fix. And thanks @snarkophilus for putting the bug back on our radar TO fix!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 12:20 PM   #93
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FYI: just pushed re-enabling of drag and drop in master so we can test to see if the last commit "fixes" things there as well.

I have my fingers crossed!
Old 11-13-2019, 12:33 PM   #94
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
FYI: just pushed re-enabling of drag and drop in master so we can test to see if the last commit "fixes" things there as well.
Fantastic choice. Drag-and-dropping tabs is so helpful for organization.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #95
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post
Fantastic choice. Drag-and-dropping tabs is so helpful for organization.
It was always available. One just had to set an environment variable in order to enable it "at your own risk". But hopefully we can leave it enabled by default now, if there's no reports of it crashing.
Advert
Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #96
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It was always available. One just had to set an environment variable in order to enable it "at your own risk". But hopefully we can leave it enabled by default now, if there's no reports of it crashing.
If an advanced user such as I—the greatest and best Sigil user of all time—hadn't gone out of his way to use that environment variable... I shudder to think how many typical users enabled that.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 12:53 PM   #97
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For as handy as many say that it is; we only ever had a handful of people ask about it the whole time it was disabled by default.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 11-13-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:22 PM   #98
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura 2, Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350, Palm TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
So you are closing a whole bunch of CodeView Tabs who have tab sizes of about the same and after your mouse once after positioning it once over a tab close x, and repeatedly and quickly closing the tabs. Is that right?
Hi Kevin. That's almost right. Yes, closing CodeView tabs, but tab size doesn't really matter since I'm closing them all from the top right hand corner. I have a lot more tabs open than fit in my CodeView window.

I also forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 10.

(I'm at work now, can post a screenshot when I get home if that helps.)

EDIT: Yeah, yeah, I should have read the rest of this thread before replying to the first message after mine to realise the bug had both been discussed and fixed . Thanks guys!

Last edited by snarkophilus; 11-13-2019 at 05:25 PM.
snarkophilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 05:24 PM   #99
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Hi Kevin. That's almost right. Yes, closing CodeView tabs, but tab size doesn't really matter since I'm closing them all from the top right hand corner. I have a lot more tabs open than fit in my CodeView window.

I also forgot to mention that I'm on Windows 10.

(I'm at work now, can post a screenshot when I get home if that helps.)
i think Kevin already fixed it. Grab the latest build and see if it still crashes for you.
Old 11-14-2019, 03:07 AM   #100
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur
snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.snarkophilus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
i think Kevin already fixed it. Grab the latest build and see if it still crashes for you.
Well bugger. I've installed 0.991-21 and I can still preproduce the problem. It's definitely harder to trigger, but is still crashable.

I can reproduce it sort of easily by edtting the attached epub, opening all 50 images (a "open all selected files in tabs" wishlist suggestion? ), then holding down ctrl-W to close windows. More often than not, when the last image is closed, a few seconds later Sigil crashes. I had a harder time getting it to crash with only 20 tabs open.
Attached Files
File Type: epub image.epub (18.3 KB, 75 views)
Old 11-14-2019, 03:36 AM   #101
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by snarkophilus View Post
Well bugger. I've installed 0.991-21 and I can still preproduce the problem. It's definitely harder to trigger, but is still crashable.
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug on my Windows 10 (1909) machine with 0.9.991-21.

I've opened and closed all 50 images twice by pressing CTRL+W and didn't get a crash. Have you installed the Windows 10 1909 update?

EDIT: I didn't get a crash with the latest version on my Linux machine either. However, I got the following warning in the terminal window:

Code:
Warning: QObject::connect: No such signal ImageResource::Deleted(Resource)

Last edited by Doitsu; 11-14-2019 at 04:13 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 03:55 AM   #102
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
I have Windows 10 Pro 1909 and I confirm the problem.
Fresh build.

But - I admit - this does not happen every time.

Last edited by BeckyEbook; 11-14-2019 at 04:00 AM.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:03 AM   #103
snarkophilus
Wannabe Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
I haven't been able to reproduce this bug on my Windows 10 (1909) machine with 0.9.991-21.
I'm still on 1809. I had one patch reboot two days ago to install 1909, and then yesterday an update popped up saying reboot to install 1909.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
I have Windows 10 Pro 1909 and I confirm the problem.
Fresh build.

But - I admit - this does not happen every time.
Thanks for confirming I'm not totally crazy!

Certainly Kevin's recent change made the problem a lot harder to trigger, but it seems that there's still some sort of timing or signal niggle in there somewhere.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #104
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Then the issue must be happening with some other qt signal someplace else in the code. The code sequence that caused the first crash can simply not happen anymore. So I will try once again using macOS but if I can not get it to happen the remaining bug must be Windows specific.
Old 11-14-2019, 09:15 AM   #105
KevinH
Sigil Developer

BTW, closing the final tab should not be allowed as that will always cause the app to close in Windows and Linux but not on macOSX. The code should prevent the final tab from ever going away.

Are you sure you are actually closing the final tab before the crash, or is it the next to last tab?