Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-19-2017, 03:48 AM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raca339 View Post
Thank you!
I recovered my KA1 (but lost all my books).

I know have to look at how to put my books into collections using Calibre because I don't want to spend like hours again to sort my books on the device itself...

Edit: It seems that everything I need is here.
Everything you need is not there. The bit about starting off with a custom column is wrong.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:50 AM   #62
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Everything you need is not there. The bit about starting off with a custom column is wrong.
You remember me a character in a Spanish movie: "Don erre que erre"
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 03:55 AM   #63
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
You remember me a character in a Spanish movie: "Don erre que erre"
The bit about starting off with a custom column should be at the end as optional. Tags should be mentioned as the column used for the non-series column.

I'll get around to fixing this after I get around to updating the firmware.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:15 AM   #64
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The bit about starting off with a custom column should be at the end as optional. Tags should be mentioned as the column used for the non-series column.

Have you read this note?

Quote:
Please note: These are just the steps and choices I made. Nothing says you have to do exactly as I have written here. Where I use a custom calibre column #myshelves, you can also use any other calibre column such as tags. Do remember that a custom column is referenced as #column_name while a built-in column is just column_name.
It states two things:
  1. Personal options
  2. You can use any other column as tags, that it looks like yor love it a lot

Disclaimer: I use tags for collections... and custom columns, so it isn't I'm against tag column.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM   #65
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdinova View Post
apparently the black screen is a case of black text on black paper - so perhaps try connecting to you computer and tapping the screen roughly an inch each direction from the bottom left corner - if successful you'll get it to mount and then copy the fixed firmware (see the developer fourm here) and copy it to .kobo
Yes, that works (I can attest to that ). Just poke at the screen where the 'Connect' button is and it will mount and you can sideload the correct firmware the normal way.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #66
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
No it should not. The way it is is very close to correct. Do a search hear on how any times that page or the old thread. And then count how many times people came back to ask more questions.

And there is no reason to give two examples of using standard calibre columns. And, as much as I like Terisa, the tags column is the WORST column you can use for collections and hence the WORST example that someone could use.
Quote:
Please don't. You are demonstrating you have no clue as to what is going on there. That makes it extremely unlikely you will be able to produce a useful update. As I keep stating, the instructions were written in response a LOT of posts. The instructions are what are needed. If any updates are needed, it is to cover the changes to the configuration I have made over the last year.

Jon, please accept this for once: You are wrong. Take it gracefully.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:40 AM   #67
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
And there is no reason to give two examples of using standard calibre columns. And, as much as I like Terisa, the tags column is the WORST column you can use for collections and hence the WORST example that someone could use.
That's a prejudice In the end, it's a poor column which only reflects the data you can add. For me, it stores ONLY my genre classification (inheritance of previous days): Mystery / Cozy, Romance / Paranormal... so it's very useful for collections in my case.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:17 PM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

You should be OK on a Mark 6 device as the bad version seems to have been removed fromt he cache and the good version is now downloading.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:49 PM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I've finally gotten around to installing this firmware and the patches. Might take a bit to get used to it.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 AM   #70
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
the tags column is the WORST column you can use for collections and hence the WORST example that someone could use.
I can see how using the tags column for shelves is bad, because you get a lot of polluted tags from imported books.

However, half my content comes from the calibre Fetch News feature, and I use the tags it creates as my shelves...so if I don't use the tags column for shelves, how can I get the news fetcher to put its tags in my custom column instead?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 AM   #71
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
However, half my content comes from the calibre Fetch News feature, and I use the tags it creates as my shelves...so if I don't use the tags column for shelves, how can I get the news fetcher to put its tags in my custom column instead?
You could do a search and replace on the news articles and copy to another column. But, you would need to do that each time you updated the news.

You could use a "column made from other columns" with a template that only showed the tags if the book was a news article.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:08 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
I can see how using the tags column for shelves is bad, because you get a lot of polluted tags from imported books.

You just remove the content from the tags column. Simple as that. So using the Tags column is not a bad idea. Making the database larger for no good reason is not a good idea. It makes loading the database slower and takes more memory.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:45 AM   #73
raca339
raca339 is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
Quote:
No it should not. The way it is is very close to correct. Do a search hear on how any times that page or the old thread. And then count how many times people came back to ask more questions.

Please don't. You are demonstrating you have no clue as to what is going on there. That makes it extremely unlikely you will be able to produce a useful update. As I keep stating, the instructions were written in response a LOT of posts. The instructions are what are needed. If any updates are needed, it is to cover the changes to the configuration I have made over the last year.

Jon, please accept this for once: You are wrong. Take it gracefully.
I followed the instructions from the wiki and I must say that it worked as announced.
So according to my newbie experience there is no need to change anything on the wiki page.
Thank you!
raca339 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 AM   #74
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
Quote:
You could do a search and replace on the news
You could use a "column made from other columns" with a template that only showed the tags if the book was a news article.
As someone pointed out, this makes the database bigger.
Howevever, I've already got one that I'm no longer using that I needed for a device I no longer have, so it looks like that will get repurposed.

I found I also have a template in my plugboard that manipulates tags during device send, but it looks like the kobo extended driver ignores that, which is unfortunate, because if it used it, I wouldn't need the custom column.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:31 AM   #75
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

In order to use Tags & Series, all that's needed to be done is to edit the Kobo Reader Device Interface driver. From Plugins in Preferences. When Customizing this plugin, click the Extra Customization tab. In the space for "Kobo supports several collections including Read, Closed, Im_Reading. Create tags for automatic management" put in tags, series. Of course, you can use other columns if you want.