Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #1
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW|PW3
Kindle Paperwhite 2 keeps crashing when reading Calibre Newspaper

Today I met 3 times Kindle Paperwhite 2 crashed and restarted when reading NYTimes fetched from Calibre. Does anyone have this problem?
duydangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I've experienced the same problem with the NY Times. I changed the output format from .mobi to .azw and have not experienced any reboots the past two days. Not sure if this is a permanent solution, but worth a try.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
duydangle
Connoisseur
duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.duydangle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I've experienced the same problem with the NY Times. I changed the output format from .mobi to .azw and have not experienced any reboots the past two days. Not sure if this is a permanent solution, but worth a try.
Your NY Times is purchased from Amazon or from Calibre. I think I will try to convert to azw3 to see any different.
Old 10-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #4
duydangle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by duydangle View Post
Your NY Times is purchased from Amazon or from Calibre. I think I will try to convert to azw3 to see any different.
I found that when I convert from Mobi to Azw3, my newspaper become book instead of newspaper. Do you have this problem?
Old 10-14-2013, 01:05 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Last I checked, Calibre doesn't support building KF8 magazines/newspapers, and if AZW3 happens to be you default output format, it should automagically build an 'old' mobi when building something from a newsfeed.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

I checked "Behavior" under "Preferences" and my preferred output format is AZW3. The NY Times recipe is emailed to my Kindle and it shows up in the periodical format. Whether it's changed to Mobi or not, I don't know.
Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 AM   #7
dieterpops
Addict

Well, my kindle crashed 2 times this morning, once while reading the WSJ and once while reading the NY Times.
Old 10-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Sounds like a problem with the generated newspaper; I'd suggest raising it as a bug with Kovid.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
dieterpops
Addict

It's not a problem with Calibre generated papers as this morning, the Financial Times I purchased from Amazon caused my paperwhite to reboot. Hmmm.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #10
anthony81
thaumaturgist
anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anthony81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW1+2,K5,NST/NST Glow/Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by duydangle View Post
Today I met 3 times Kindle Paperwhite 2 crashed and restarted when reading NYTimes fetched from Calibre. Does anyone have this problem?
Any new news on this problem? Sunday's NYT from calibre, forget it for me. I can even open it without a reboot but every other day of the week is fine..
anthony81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #11
duydangle
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony81 View Post
Any new news on this problem? Sunday's NYT from calibre, forget it for me. I can even open it without a reboot but every other day of the week is fine..
I gave up, it seems very hard to open NYTimes. Each touch waits 4-5 seconds for the kindle to respond. And when too many touchs make the kindle crash.
Old 11-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #12
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I checked "Behavior" under "Preferences" and my preferred output format is AZW3. The NY Times recipe is emailed to my Kindle and it shows up in the periodical format. Whether it's changed to Mobi or not, I don't know.
Will AZW3 output .mobi's that need a tweak such as the one I had that did not work in my KPW2 (would not appear) until I reformatted it from mobi to mobi? And, what is "old" mobi? I do not see that as an output. Thank you. Sorry for the thread hijack s well!
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #13
BobbyVan
Enthusiast
BobbyVan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Did anyone manage to fix this problem? I've encountered it on both the Kindle Touch and the Paperwhite.
BobbyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
Lawrence W
Lawrence W began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper White
Sunday NY Times files can be successfully opened using the Kindle PC-based program. In Win 7, it can be found in the C:Users/[username]/My Documents/Calibre Library/calibre directory.

For opening in my Kindle Paper White, I first converted to AZW3 format with no success. Then I clicked on the "MOBI Output" selection in the left navigation panel of the Convert page and ticked "Disable compression of the file contents" and "OK" to perform the conversion and sent it to my Kindle reader. That worked. I can now read a previously unreadable Sunday NY Times file in my Kindle.
Lawrence W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 08:55 AM   #15
clanger9
clanger9 doesn't litterclanger9 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
I am seeing this behaviour more often now: newspaper articles that either won't open or cause my Kindle 3 to reboot.

It may be a recent Kindle software issue (rather than Calibre).

I have disabled compression and this seems to help, but I still get crashes on larger .mobi files (especially the Saturday Guardian).

The Kindle desktop software opens the .mobi files fine, so the issue is on Kindle devices only. Maybe it's just running out of memory?

Is there a way to debug or log what the problem is on a Kindle? It's hard to file a useful bug report when all I know is "it crashes - sometimes..."
clanger9 is offline   Reply With Quote