Fictionwise 4 2.56%
Other (Specify in comments) 19 12.18%
iBooks 1 0.64%
Google Books 1 0.64%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-16-2011, 02:14 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Preferred Store?

SILLY POLL TIME!

If the availability and price are equal across the board and no coupons/discounts/etc. apply, which store do you buy from?

Poll to follow -- explain why (format preference, device sync, store interface, customer service, return policy, etc.) in the comments!
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For me, it's B&N. I like the library interface -- you can download from the computer and archive books with a single button press. I tend to use that archive/non-archive distinction to remind myself whether or not I've downloaded the book and tossed it into Calibre yet.

I don't really like the store interface (too clunky, and crappy search engine), but it's inertia keeping me with them at this point. That, and I keep hoping they'll implement online shelves with the MyNook Portal or whatever it's going to be called.

If I could do it all over again, I might go with Kobo, but since I like having my online library all in one place, I'll probably keep buying from B&N.
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #3
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Amazon followed by Kobo
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #4
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I prefer Fictionwise; their library & bulk download options edge out SW's availability in RTF (which tends to be atrocious anyway). And their books are formatted more consistently, almost always better. I buy a lot more from Smashwords, though, because books rarely are equally available and priced.

Smashwords' library of books-you've-added/books-you've-purchased is awful; a single column of ALL THE BOOKS in purchase order. When I had bought 10 books from them, that was fine. With over 50 added and over 70 purchases, I can't find anything unless I already remember it; there's no re-sorting by genre or author or even title.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I voted Kobo, even though I have a Kindle. I would prefer to buy straight from Amazon but I've had a few problems with the "plug-in-that-must-not-be-named". When I buy from Kobo I don't have to worry about that since I have other options when it comes to liberating my books.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Amazon for my e-books since I've got a Kindle, but otherwise, I shop at Chapters for pBooks now that my local bookstores have all closed. My favourite bookstore in recent years was Left Bank Books on Euclid in St. Louis.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Smashwords' library of books-you've-added/books-you've-purchased is awful; a single column of ALL THE BOOKS in purchase order. When I had bought 10 books from them, that was fine. With over 50 added and over 70 purchases, I can't find anything unless I already remember it; there's no re-sorting by genre or author or even title.
I vaguely recall Kobo is like that, too? That's one thing that keeps my from them -- I like my B&N sorting options.
Old 08-16-2011, 02:25 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Fictionwise. I really like the search engine and I find the site layout to be pretty functional and helpful in finding books. Multi-format is great. Being able to download a sizable chunk of your library in one go (zipped) in your preferred format of choice is pretty awesome. To me, Fictionwise feels more like a library while the others are more akin to a book store.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Sony is my forst choice, but I buy where the price is best. So far that has been Sony and Kobo for the (few) titles I have bought.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #10
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Amazon for me.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:17 PM   #11
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
Amazon. Simple, straight forward, no messing about.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
apesmom
Wizard
apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apesmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova Air, Galaxy Note 10
All things being equal I had been buying from Kobo as support/thanks for when they do offer coupons. Not so much these days but I'm still going there out of habit.
apesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:27 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Given the conditions in the poll, I'd buy from webscriptions or from the author's own store. (So I chose 'other'.)

DRM-free, and more of the money gets to the author. Oh, and getting multi-format helps too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #14
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Given the conditions in the poll, I'd buy from webscriptions or from the author's own store. (So I chose 'other'.)

DRM-free, and more of the money gets to the author. Oh, and getting multi-format helps too.
Yeah, I chewed on my lip re: Baen and the like. I'll buy from Baen first every time, but I can't really include them in a "selections being equal and all" poll because they're a niche store. Time for another poll, maybe!
Old 08-16-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
I go with Barnes & Noble for one simple reason: money. I have a Discover credit card, and I get 10-15% cashback on B&N purchases including ebooks from the Nook store. Similarly, I can spend my cashback bonuses on gift certificates for B&N ($45 buys $50, or a 10% discount, and they just added electronic certificates so I no longer have to wait two weeks to get physical cards in the mail), which in turn give me cashback again when I spend them. I'm surprised that works, but I guess because I have my Discover Card as my primary payment instrument and I enter the site from Discover's cashback portal they give me the money even though I buy using a gift card. I'm essentially getting a 20-25% discount depending on if cashback is 10% or 15% in a given month, and spending money on other things gets me free money for ebooks. Out of all the books I've purchased at the Nook store, I've spent non-cashback gift card money maybe twice.

If it weren't for that, I don't think I'd have a store preference. All DRM for the listed stores is easily broken, so I'd shop around and buy wherever the prices are lowest (for agency books I'd probably stick to Amazon or B&N, preferring B&N for epub).
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote