Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-21-2023, 04:22 AM   #1
mt.msla
Enthusiast
mt.msla began at the beginning.

Device: PW 2 3gb
Best practice for adding footnotes

As title - kinda struggling with this. I'm editing an ebook for Kindle, and I've come across some curious behavior.

I'll post a link to another page using anchors, where all my footnotes are located. Sometimes the page changes as expected, and sometimes the Kindle just displays the anchor as a footnote.

Does anyone know of a "best practice" for adding footnotes? I'd appreciate any constructive instruction.

Thanks very much!

- Andy
mt.msla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 06:24 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If epubs converted to Kindlebook formats require special code to make footnotes work properly, then you may need to ask in a Kindle, or epub forum, or the workshop forum. Sigil doesn't really concern itself with how converted epubs might function on Kindle devices. Our concern is with making spec-compliant epubs.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 10:51 PM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mt.msla View Post
Does anyone know of a "best practice" for adding footnotes? I'd appreciate any constructive instruction.
Just KISS (keep it simple, stupid).

Have 2 simple links:
  • One <a> pointing to the footnote.
  • One <a> pointing back to the footnote number.

Example code:

Code:
<p>This is some text with a note.<a href="#fn1" id="ft1">[1]</a></p>

[...]

<p class="footnote"><a href="#ft1" id="fn1">[1]</a> This is the footnote.</p>
The red parts (fn) point back-and-forth to each other and say:
  • "Hey! Go jump me to footnote 1!"
    • Wherever id "fn1" exists.

The blue parts (ft) point back-and-forth to each other and say:
  • "Hey! Go jump me back to the number for footnote 1!"
    • Wherever id "ft1" exists.

- - -

Side Note: In your searches, did you happen to see the thread back in:

You can visit that for many more details.

(I just did a search in Google and see it's the #1 hit too. )

Last edited by Tex2002ans; 12-21-2023 at 10:54 PM.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 06:49 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I now compose a lot in an old iteration of Word, using Mike Petrie's WordStar add-in to speed things along. I've found that Word's footnoting is brilliant. It needs a bit of editing before it looks right to me, but the go-to and go-back urls save a lot of effort on my part.

I do however move the go-back anchor back to the beginning of the sentence or paragraph, so the reader returns to a more logical spot rather than the actual footnoted word.

These are back-of-the book notes, not pop-ups.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
best practice, ebook, footnote, kindle