Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #16
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
I looked through the output and one problem is certainly the "MOBI markup appears to contain random bytes. Stripping." line. The sample file that I used doesn't cause that, but there are certainly enough problems with the sample that I'm not surprised that there are even more problems with the full book. Basically, it looks to me like the mobi file is formatted poorly enough that Calibre's not up to the task of converting it.

Other than the Kindle version, the only other electronic CEV that I can find for sale is for Logos software. If your mother has an Android or iOS device, I can tell you that the Logos software (which is free to download) is easy to use, but I think you may be out of luck if you're set on finding an epub.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:26 PM   #17
cancelx777
cancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kobo
Oh darn... cuz I just bought a second hand Kobo Touch specifically for this purpose 8(

Thanks mate for trying.
cancelx777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:33 PM   #18
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Have you checked out the The World English Bible (WEB), Complete by Anonymous at Project Gutenberg to see if it meets your requirements?

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:38 PM   #19
cancelx777
cancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavenscancelx777 is a rising star in the heavens

Hi Bernie, yeah, and it's way too liberal, gender safe and edited to be useful.
CEV comes close to that but acceptable for general reading while giving a solid English read.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:40 PM   #20
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@cancelx777 - Given the cev was first published in the 1990's there's probably a PDF version out there in the ether.

The version from Amazing-not was probably converted, not very well, from the PDF.

You could try converting the PDF to epub, but if that fails then I think the kobo can read PDF

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #21
cancelx777

I had a PDF and it is MESSY, and of course no freedom to mess with fonts. I'm getting this for my mother so she can enlarge and thicken the text to where is comfortable.

I didn't think the CEV was going to be such a problem. It's very disappointing.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #22
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
This is the one I have on my Nook.

The Holy Bible English Standard Version (ESV)

luck
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 06:22 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cancelx777 I just downloaded a UK edition of the PDF converted it to a prc with mobipocket, converted the prc to epub with calibre - see attachment for the result

You should be able to fix most of the problems (eg joining split lines) in Sigil, or if you have and are familiar with MS Word you could convert the prc to rtf, load that into Word, fix the glitches with some macros and save it as DOCX and use calibre to convert that to ePUB.

It will take some time to do the editing to get a really nice looking version - maybe a day or two.

Does it have to be the CEV, what about one of the other modern translations such as the NIV or the GNB, Are any of them sold as ePub, or has Amazing-not got exclusivity on them too.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	264
Size:	367.8 KB
ID:	113541  

Last edited by BetterRed; 10-17-2013 at 06:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #24
cancelx777

Hey Better,
Fraid my tech-knowledge isn't what it used to be (grin).
This is completely alien to me.

And yeah, it's CEV or nothing. Would not touch an NIV and most other MAJ text Bibles. It's surprising the CEV is as true to the original as it is (it does have the usual missing verses etc... but at least the translation itself isn't so pointedly lacking).

And it seems CEV has only been translated mobile in Kindle format. And I've gotten nowhere trying to convert it. Looks really nice on my Kindle for PC, but won't convert for the Kobo.
Old 10-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #25
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I wonder if you could take the brute force approach and download the CEV version chapter by chapter from http://www.biblegateway.com/versions...ion-CEV-Bible/ ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 09:21 PM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Or you could could take the easy approach, give the kindle & the MOBI to your mum, and keep kobo for yourself

BR
Old 10-17-2013, 11:06 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BetterRed: Thats no fun!
Old 10-17-2013, 11:44 PM   #28
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@BetterRed: Thats no fun!
PeterT: - much better fun mate, the OP can spend the rest of his life mastering the art of kobo plugins etc

There was a time when me a few fellow sysprogs could read some manuals, and run a bank's IT with thousands of branches on 3 continents, or an airline's IT with hundreds of planes in the air - now you gotta be a sysprog to read a 100 pages of chick lit or the Holy Bible.

In the UK I see the butchers are selling e-books - no wonder they have horsemeat in their beef pies

Br
Old 10-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #29
cancelx777

Hey. Cant do. Kindle is mainly an lcd screen now isnt it, not eInk. Anyway, i like the small body large screen of the kobo.

I'm actually looking at a recommended version, the WEB. Not perfect, but definitely seems it may be a good choice in place of CEV. IT at least does not use the Alexandrian text for the source.

Now, if I can find out how to EDIT an EPUB and repackage it... I'd be in cloud 9 !!

Thanks everyone !
Old 10-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Check out SIGIL... next forum down