Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
Why the hell would you have 23k books?
I like to read.
Neefsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
Neefsck
Neefsck began at the beginning.

Device: ipad / iphone
I must admit, I hadn't considered multiple libraries either - I'll take a look into it.
Thanks for the comment.
Neefsck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 08:12 AM   #18
brkuhn
brkuhn began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
First, are you running one main library on Calibre, or have you split them up yet? I have about 14 separate libraries in Calibre that I switch between all the time. One each for the larger fandoms, the largest having 12,509 files. That one runs a bit slow, so am thinking of dividing it up into two libraries. I have a "Main" library for purchased books. A separate library with just names of books for my "Wish List" and so I can keep track of series. And one just for "Freebies".

I keep a blank library for importing and working on new ebooks and fanfics. Then I "copy to library (delete after copy) to which ever Library they're to go to.
Exactly what I do - absolutely no problems whatsoever. My main library is on a loaptop's hard-drive where I do all of my importing - I keep my other libraries on USB keys for portability (with occasional backup to a spare external hard drive). This setup works very well for me.
brkuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:13 AM   #19
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
For me, it would be where would I find 23k books that I would want to read. I guess you could download everything from Gutenberg or something similar, but I'd never be interested in reading even 10% of that, probably.
Exactly.
I'm in the process of "calibrating" the whole Italian PG library (something more than 10k ebooks). My entire life won't be enough to read them all, but I like to have lots of choices when I pick up my next read.
And I like to have it all well organized.

Still, I'm not sure about how to handle published dates when they're Before Christ...
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:09 AM   #20
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post

Still, I'm not sure about how to handle published dates when they're Before Christ...
While not elegant
A custom text/Integer column (BCpub) and put a single-standard to 'flag it as a 'BC published' (or set/leave blank) in the Published colum (which requires a valid date. And put the year BC in the BCpub column
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 12:38 PM   #21
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
While not elegant
A custom text/Integer column (BCpub) and put a single-standard to 'flag it as a 'BC published' (or set/leave blank) in the Published colum (which requires a valid date. And put the year BC in the BCpub column
Good idea!
To simplify, I'll just put year 1 in the pub date, and the actual year in the custom column, remembering to use it as second criterion when I sort.

I'll try.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #22
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Good idea!
To simplify, I'll just put year 1 in the pub date, and the actual year in the custom column, remembering to use it as second criterion when I sort.

I'll try.
I don't think you can go below year 101 (or is it 1000)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #23
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaachummel View Post
At least he didn't ask where to find the latest version of Vim on an Emacs mailing list. Then he'd be in real trouble.
The comment is nearly 10 years old, but I had to chuckle when reading it. (BTW, I'm in the Emacs camp...)
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
Horus68
Zealot
Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.Horus68 understands the mechanisms of the catecholamine pathways.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
9 years with no Calibre Contender? Impressive!

Just for the record, there are some Open Source solutions to organize big ebook libraries

- Library Simplified ( SimplyE ) - www.librarysimplified.org
Apache licence - by Library E-Content Access Project (LEAP) [The New York Public Library / Institute of Museum and Library Services / Digital Public Library of America (DPLA) ]

- Invenio - http://invenio-software.org
MIT licence - by CERN

- Open Monograph Press - https://pkp.sfu.ca/omp/
GPL v2 licence - by PKP Public Knowledge Project

Note: Even if not using Calibre server, Calibre can be useful for tasks as file names, metadata, quality checking and some book clean up before sending the books to other systems!
Horus68 is offline   Reply With Quote