Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-18-2022, 09:57 PM   #16
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Under English news recipes ... there are now 2 recipes called "The New York Times", and the one called "...(Web)" is gone. Not sure if this intentional or not, or maybe just something I managed to mess up in my installation (Windows).
No that was a bug, the two recipes differ in only one line and I forgot to preserve that difference when updating them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 11:39 AM   #17
hongho71
Enthusiast
hongho71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The New York Times recipe (both print and web versions) only downloads a handful of articles and not the entire thing. Any fix for this? Thanks!
hongho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2022, 11:26 PM   #18
hongho71
Enthusiast
hongho71 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Nevermind, I had VPN on and it restricted news fetch. When I turned off VPN, everything downloads as normal. I guess NY Times doesn't like VPN.
hongho71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 08:13 AM   #19
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
NY Times is failing again. Now it gets stuck at 22% and never completes.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 07:41 AM   #20
davidboy
davidboy began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 10
Hi, I have found out the reason why the New YorK Times(web) failed to be fetched: the NYT system will block your IP if you fetch news too fast! So the solution to the problem should be: to add a delay between fetching each HTML page. I set the delay time to be 15 seconds and it works. You can set the delay time to be shorter, but the longer the delay time is, the better. I paste my recipe setting below for your reference. Pay attention to the setting of "delay = 15" :
class NewYorkTimes(BasicNewsRecipe):

if is_web_edition:
title = 'The New York Times (Web)'
description = 'New York Times (Web). You can edit the recipe to remove sections you are not interested in.'
delay = 15
else:
title = 'The New York Times'
description = 'Today\'s New York Times'
encoding = 'utf-8'
__author__ = 'Kovid Goyal'
language = 'en'
ignore_duplicate_articles = {'title', 'url'}
no_stylesheets = True
compress_news_images = True
compress_news_images_auto_size = 5
conversion_options = {'flow_size': 0}
delay = 15
davidboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2022, 07:53 AM   #21
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt you need 15 1 or 2 is usually enough for most bot detection.
Old 11-10-2022, 09:00 PM   #22
fengli
Connoisseur
fengli began at the beginning.

Device: PC
The same problem, extraction is blank, delayed 15 seconds or failed
fengli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 12:11 AM   #23
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Are you in China? Because it works fine without even a delay here.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:59 AM   #24
fengli
Connoisseur

yes china is fail ,How to solve this?
Old 11-11-2022, 09:45 AM   #25
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Use a custom recipe with whatever delay works for you. or use a vpn
Old 11-11-2022, 11:43 PM   #26
fengli
Connoisseur

vpn still fail
Old 11-11-2022, 11:55 PM   #27
fengli
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Are you running the builtin recipe? Post the log from the download.
Where to Download the Revised New York Times Cookbook
Old 11-12-2022, 01:51 AM   #28
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Since you mentioned download, you can purchase the Essential New Times Cookbook 10th Anniversary Edition edited by Amanda Hesser from a variety of ebook vendors. If you are looking for an ebook edition of The New York Times Cookbook edited by Craig Claiborne, I was unable to find an ebook edition of it so no downloads.

Here in Canada, I could order the Essential New York Times Cookbook from Amazon.ca, Kobo, Google, etc.. If you are asking where to download it for free, that is ebook piracy which is not a condoned activity on Mobileread and is very likely to have you banned.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-12-2022 at 01:59 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 01:55 PM   #29
kck
kck began at the beginning.

Device: none
A delay of 20 works for me, 15 doesn‘t. This means that it takes 2 hours to fetch the NYT. I guess that is as it is.

Best regards,
KCK
kck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:59 PM   #30
mkgtu
Zealot
mkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolatemkgtu is generous with chocolate

Device: Currently:Voyage, Oasis 3, Kindle mobile apps, andKindle Fire
Beware. After a failed attempt to download the NYT this morning, my access to my paid subscription to NYT has been blocked on all platforms and web browsers - if I use the same IP address I was using this morning, my regular home wifi.
See screenshot.

The NYT mobile apps still work. But can't open any web articles in any browser, even after logout and login again, without using VPN, mobile data connection, or different WiFi connection.

And BTW I finally got a full download this morning using 15 second delay through a VPN. Took 41 minutes!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
mkgtu is offline   Reply With Quote