Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #16
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicinc View Post
is the eink apps not working at all. screen is stuck on initialising.
also any update golden or not reboot after 2 dots and deletes the update.zip file.
copied all the system file from working unit still no luck.
I've read all of your initial thread on this now and my gut feeling is that it is a hardware problem.

Think of the boot process on a PC. It starts out with what is essentially a text screen then part way through it changes to graphic mode to continue. If it can't change to graphic mode it will not complete the boot process. I've seen several notebooks that had the defective Nvida graphic chip that shower the sane type of symptom you are describing. We solved that problem by sending them to the manufacturer who replaced the main board gratis.

Your symptoms are very similar in that it stops initialising at the change over to graphic mode and does not load the e-ink drivers.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #17
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Eeep! Thanks for the heads up, Lestater. I hope no-one has to go through what you did. They seem like Woot, which apparently is very good on the customer service front.
Yeah, I only posted that as a factual heads up for people insofar as what I experience. As always, caveat emptor and of course, my experience does not mean it will happen to everyone.

Still, during that period I found many others with similar issues so....draw your own conclusions...I have been shopping online since the dawn of ecommerce. My 1SaleADay experience was completely the worst ever by far. Nothing even came close to the misery I went through with those clowns.

In my case, believe me...Woot, they are NOT. I have transacted with Woot nearly a hundred times - they are nothing but a class act. Period. I cannot recommend Woot enough, FWIW.

Best of luck to all on this!
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #18
OhSewMe
OhSewMe began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticmaniac View Post
First thing I would do is download the update file before the server from entourage is shut down. Then completely charge it up if you plan on doing any updates. Then when you actually do update, make sure its plugged in. You can either play around with 1.6 or just update it right away. 2.2 is actually better IMHO. There are threads around here on how to update. But I basically copied the file onto a USB stick then hold down the home/rotate button then turn it on and keep holding the home/rotate button till the update screen pops up. Also, the update file has to be on a root directory and renamed update.zip. if the icon on your pc shows a zip type icon, the file extension is already in *.zip format so you just need to change it to 'update'.
Thanks Arcticmaniac, I don't have a USB stick, but have wondered if the SD cards work in the same way, if empty? Somehow, I think I should have ordered more than one of these things....I really think I'm going to like it....it's too bad Entourage is going out. Do you think the server will shut down very soon? I think I will sign up with Woot, just in case they offer them again, too.
Thanks again,
OSM
OhSewMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 AM   #19
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Hello OhSew!

I sure hope you will like your new PE as much as you think you will! It takes a little learning, but once you get to know it it is a fun and useful companion!

You might want to read what enTourage has to say, if you haven't already: www.entourageedge.com. On the Knowledge Base page on that website is a User Guide for the PE, which will give you a head start. One thing to notice is the PE uses microSD cards, not SD. And yes, at least for some people the microSD has worked getting the Ermine update.

Can't wait to hear what you think when you get it!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 01:35 PM   #20
OhSewMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filark View Post
Hello OhSew!

I sure hope you will like your new PE as much as you think you will! It takes a little learning, but once you get to know it it is a fun and useful companion!

You might want to read what enTourage has to say, if you haven't already: www.entourageedge.com. On the Knowledge Base page on that website is a User Guide for the PE, which will give you a head start. One thing to notice is the PE uses microSD cards, not SD. And yes, at least for some people the microSD has worked getting the Ermine update.

Can't wait to hear what you think when you get it!
Great! Thanks for the link Filark. Yes, I have a microSD waiting.....and I've been mostly watching some videos and reading some. I don't want to look at any step by step stuff till it's actually in my hands....I had a Palm Treo (easy) for years, and kept getting the new one, then decided to get an Android phone....took me a bit, but now I love it, just wish it were tablet size!!
I will definitely go to the site now and check it out, though.
I will be letting ya know!
Advert
Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM   #21
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
OT, but just some info on my own SaleADay experience.

Nothing but a bunch of crooks IME. Totally unresponsive, basically took my money and I never saw my purchase. 3 months, dozens of emails later and an official complaint filed with the NYC/Long Island BBB and I finally got my purchase price back. This occurred in late 2009.

I ain't alone. Just something to consider...
I bought two IP cameras on 1saleaday and I got it. I bought a few other things and even gotten a 2 freebies from them. Could be an isolated experience?
Gary

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 07-21-2011 at 02:21 PM.
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 AM   #22
OhSewMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyhgaryh View Post
I bought two IP cameras on 1saleaday and I got it. I bought a few other things and even gotten a 2 freebies from them. Could be an isolated experience?
Gary
Another thing I always do is place my order through my bank's Visa check card, and if there is a problem I report it to the fraud department and they get on things like this immediately. AND, if I report a discrepancy, I receive my money back first and then they dispute it with the company....and it is ALWAYS solved within a short window of time. I guess they have a fast way of dealing with a "fraudulent" order.

HTH anyone who orders from sites like this.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #23
txmail
txmail began at the beginning.

Got Mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestatar View Post
OT, but just some info on my own SaleADay experience.

Nothing but a bunch of crooks IME. Totally unresponsive, basically took my money and I never saw my purchase. 3 months, dozens of emails later and an official complaint filed with the NYC/Long Island BBB and I finally got my purchase price back. This occurred in late 2009.

I ain't alone. Just something to consider...
Sorry to see you had a bad experience, I ordered mine when they were selling them for the $120 and it came yesterday apparently.

Honestly I was not sure about ordering as I saw quite a few people such as yourself saying you had a bad experience. I really thought it would take a few weeks for this thing to come since the e-mail I got from them said that it would ship in 3 - 5 business days and didnt specify shipping method.. but its here.

I plugged it in and booted it up. Looks cool, cant wait to start really playing with this thing (waiting for it to get a good charge, but already registered my Adobe account etc just to make sure it works).

This is also for sure a new unit, no scuffs and still had the plastic stuff all over it and a sealed inner baggie. Happy with the purchase so far. Really surprised that the internet is decently fast, none of the YouTube videos would play but the "how-to" videos seemed to play fine. The eInk display is not as good as I expected but should be fine for what I want to do with it (light reading).

Seems like joining this forum is the first step to getting the most out of these units... if anyone else ordered I hope that your experience was a good as mine. I order stuff like this all the time from some pretty questionable sites but for the most part have been lucky. I also always put it on a credit card, never my bank cards posing as a credit card. You have more control about reversing charges if you get messed over that way.
txmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:04 PM   #24
txmail
txmail began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSewMe View Post
Another thing I always do is place my order through my bank's Visa check card, and if there is a problem I report it to the fraud department and they get on things like this immediately. AND, if I report a discrepancy, I receive my money back first and then they dispute it with the company....and it is ALWAYS solved within a short window of time. I guess they have a fast way of dealing with a "fraudulent" order.

HTH anyone who orders from sites like this.
Another person with a good experience. Honestly I think these kinds of sites are hit or miss on what you get. They are obviously making their profit by doing sales in volume which can cause problems when customer service is just a few people manning an e-mail account for tens of thousands of customers.
txmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 08:41 PM   #25
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation

Quote:
txmail
Welcome to Mobileread and the Entourage forum!
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:09 AM   #26
netbsd
netbsd began at the beginning.

Device: PDA
Good experience in here too. Just receive the reader from 1saleaday. Very satisfied!
netbsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 01:57 AM   #27
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Welcome to you, too, netbsd!

I'm really happy that more people are getting Pocket eDGes and so far so good!

If you don't find answers by searching, please ask!
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:30 AM   #28
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
^ Hey, really glad people are getting their stuff! Perhaps SaleADay has changed their evil ways - obviously a good thing. As for being my incident being isolated...well, certainly not at the time it occurred as there were a ton of similar complaints.

It's all good people - as long as folks get what they pay their hard earned cash for. Me doing business with SaleADay again? When Apple supports Android - lol, once bitten, twice shy and pissed off.

cheers and enjoy the new gear all!
-les
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #29
SatyrsLynx
SatyrsLynx doesn't litterSatyrsLynx doesn't litter

Ok, how did you guys get your PEs already? I'm anxiously awaiting mine... No tracking number yet, and I leave in a week for a 2 week trip. I really hope it gets to me before I leave!

color me jealous!
SatyrsLynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #30
OhSewMe

Me tooooooo SatyrsLynx!! Maybe tomorrow...we may live farther out. Or, actually, I ordered mine after much thought and research, at the very last minute. So, I figured last come last served. Oh, and what company delivers?

lestatar, I understand you completely. Before the digital picture world came along, I used to send my film to Snapfish, but when TWO envelopes carrying six rolls of film got "lost" in the mail at the same time, I have never sent film through the mail again. Or anything else, that I don't send certified, for that same reason....it does leave a real bad taste in your mouth.

That said, my credit union is so good, and fast, that if there is a charge on my card that is out my state, or just off the wall for me, the Visa dept. calls me immediately. I had a 1 cent charge that was made one morning and they called me at like 7 am----I did not make it--it was for iTunes, which I don't buy, and was also made in Ca. They cut my card right then, said that that's how crooks start, they do a little charge and if it goes through, then they clean you out. I've had better customer service and no hassle from my CU than with any credit card company I've used.

Sorry, I'm going on and on and on, but if I just had my PE......... :-)