Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-16-2014, 09:31 AM   #16
arcadesdude
Lexically Impaired
arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadesdude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post
Your first code change should be sufficient. The only case your first code change does not cover is when the user changes the brightness, and then changes it back to the $MINIMUMBRIGHTNESSONSTART. This should be such a rare event that I believe we can ignore it.
Yeah, which might possibly be resolved by using some other timing method to test if it was changed and then changed back during the initial brightness setting. Setting the brightness up a level higher than I usually use is the workaround for that. So it starts on level 6 and then I can change it to 5 and the new setting sticks.
arcadesdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
Cykotitan
Enthusiast
Cykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animalsCykotitan is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 WiFi
Turning the front light off works on PW1.
After changing FRONTLIGHTDEVICE to the right value in config.sh, auto control also seems to work. Even tried modifying the light intensity and the scheduled hours, seems to work out nicely.
Cykotitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:57 PM   #18
violent23
Connoisseur
violent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enoughviolent23 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis 2017, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Keyboard
Okay I have a PW1 and have tested this but I am having a little trouble with the auto control.

I have uncommented FRONTLIGHTDEVICE for the PW1 in the config.sh and commented out the one for PW2. I have done this in medit, so I would imagine the editor supports UNIX line endings.

I have set CHECKINTERVAL to 0 as I do not want the backlight on at all.

I have set OFFVALUE to 1 as I would like the device to turn off the frontlight when reaching 1 or 0.

I have set MINIMUMBRIGHTNESSONSTART to 1 (and have also tried 0) as I want the device to start with no backlight.

I have set MINIMUMBRIGHTNESSONSTARTTIME to 0 as I do not want the backlight on at all.

With these setting I am unable to achieve what I want with auto control as when I start auto control the backlight still stays on (on 0 but still on) when turning the device on. Am I doing something wrong, what are the settings I need to set so that my device turns on with no backlight but allows me to turn on the backlight once changing the slider setting past 1 and then back off once getting back to 1 or 0?
violent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 09:49 PM   #19
HollowayN7
HollowayN7 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hate to resurrect this after five months, but I'm having the same trouble as violent23.

It won't turn the backlight completely off on the PW1
HollowayN7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 05:45 PM   #20
peterson
Connoisseur
peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@violent23, @hollowayn7, I do not have a PW1 for testing, but according to others in this thread it should work. Could you enable logging (LOGGING=1 and set LOGFILE to some file you can access) and let me know the results?
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
gilijev
gilijev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Hi peterson. I used Front Light Master for a long while and it worked like a charm.

At some point, I believe after that silent firmware update, it developed a problem similar to violent23's. I have a PW2. Both auto-control and the manual "Turn off front light" option reduce the frontlight to the "0" brightness but don't actually turn it off.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Last edited by gilijev; 03-02-2015 at 03:44 PM.
gilijev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 02:37 AM   #22
peterson
Connoisseur
peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilijev View Post
Hi peterson. I used Front Light Master for a long while and it worked like a charm.

At some point, I believe after that silent firmware update, it developed a problem similar to violent23's. I have a PW2. Both auto-control and the manual "Turn off front light" option reduce the frontlight to the "0" brightness but don't actually turn it off.

Any ideas how to fix this?
I've disabled firmware updates on my PW2, so I am still at 5.4.2.1, and I am not inclined to update (I'm happy with the way it works right now and don't want to break anything).

What you can try:
  • Check the OFFVALUE in config.sh and if it is 0, increase it to 1
  • Manually (with this extension turned off) set brightness values. E.g. do "echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/max77696-bl/brightness" which should turn off the brightness on a PW2
  • Go into /mnt/us/extensions/frontlightmaster/bin and call "./disable.sh" to turn the extension off. Then when you run "./frontlightmaster.sh" you will get to see live what it is doing and its decisions.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:11 AM   #23
gilijev
gilijev began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Fixed, thanks.
gilijev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 AM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilijev View Post
Fixed, thanks.
How did you fix it?
Please write it down here so other readers can find it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #25
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterson View Post

Front Light Master
v0.2 (2014-04-14)

The "Front Light Master" is an extension for the Kindle Paperwhite 1 and 2 models (i.e. the ones that have a front light). Based on the idea of the FLToggle extension by DuckieTigger (a copy of which you can download at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=116) it adds multiple more features.
Hello, Thank you very much for you Front Light Master!
I just want to confirm that:
1.If I choose "Turn off front light", then
will the feature"turns off LED if brightness is below a certain value at power-on"
work after restarting?
2.If I choose "Turn off front light", and then in dark situation I change the brightness level, then next day I set the brightness level to zero, does the feature work after I restart the Kindle? Or I need to enter the Front Light Master and set up it again?
3.Could you please add the feature so we can check the brightness level is whether or not zero(turn off LED) ? Or we can do that by ourselves manaually?
Many thanks for your work!Thank you!

Last edited by JHarry; 08-08-2015 at 05:42 AM.
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:56 AM   #26
JHarry
Connoisseur
JHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animalsJHarry is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Aha,maybe I should set the schedule(all for brightness level 0).
Thank you very much!
JHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #27
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHarry View Post
Aha,maybe I should set the schedule(all for brightness level 0).
Thank you very much!
This still requires a jail broken Kindle.
Where it says it is an 'extension' it means its a KUAL extension (which requires JB to run).

- - - -

Plus -
I think you have some terminology problems in your questions:

*) Kindles are never "Powered Off" unless you remove the battery.

*) "Restart" the Kindle is rarely if ever done (by a non-hacker) - that is a button in the settings menu.

*) The button on the bottom edge of the case:
For short press, toggles between "Sleep" and "Resume".
For a long press (in 5.6.x firmwares) you have the choice of a Restart or to power off the screen (not the entire Kindle, just the screen).
Earlier firmwares also had the choice of "Sleep" - "Screen Off" - "Restart" but did not have the menu - you had to watch the charge light to know when to release the button.

Last edited by knc1; 08-08-2015 at 12:35 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:12 PM   #28
peterson
Connoisseur

Sorry for the very late response. I suppose you already just tried it on your Kindle and know the answers, but maybe it's of interest to others:

Quote:
1.If I choose "Turn off front light", then
will the feature"turns off LED if brightness is below a certain value at power-on" work after restarting?
The "Turn off front light" button is only available if auto-control is off. This button is a one-time only action, i.e. if you turn your Kindle off and back on, the front light will be back on as well. Now, if you turn the backlight off via "Turn off front light" and then start auto control, the auto control will just handle it whichever way you configured. Personally I always run it with auto-control (actually I forgot there even was this "Turn off front light" button ;-))

Quote:
2.If I choose "Turn off front light", and then in dark situation I change the brightness level, then next day I set the brightness level to zero, does the feature work after I restart the Kindle? Or I need to enter the Front Light Master and set up it again?
Same as above, i.e. "Turn off front light" is turning it off now, when you change the brightness or turn the Kindle off/on, the backlight will come on. Use auto-control.

Quote:
3.Could you please add the feature so we can check the brightness level is whether or not zero(turn off LED) ? Or we can do that by ourselves manaually?
Do you mean you want to see whether the backlight is truly off vs. only very dim? I suggest to go into a dark room and it should be obvious whether it's truly off or not :-)

P.S.: By "turn Kindle off" I mean put it to sleep, of course :-)
Old 02-10-2016, 11:19 AM   #29
CalbertAmu
Connoisseur
CalbertAmu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Hello, has anyone gotten this to work on PaperWhite3 (I'm on 5.7.2)?

Also, I've read that the battery life saved is negligible when comparing the lowest level of front light to no front light (after the hack). Is that true?
CalbertAmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 07:16 PM   #30
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalbertAmu View Post
Hello, has anyone gotten this to work on PaperWhite3 (I'm on 5.7.2)?

Also, I've read that the battery life saved is negligible when comparing the lowest level of front light to no front light (after the hack). Is that true?
No. The frontlight access works different on a PW3 system level. On a first glimpse I haven't found how to get it working. Maybe somebody else have found on which button we have to press.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote