Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #496
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Chili, homemade spaghetti sauce, any personal recipe that you don't want to water down: cook Pot-in-Pot. For a 6qt or an 8qt Instant Pot, a spare liner for the 3qt instant pot maximizes the internal space you can use.

Water in your IP liner, trivet, smaller pot with food in it. (the 3qt liner, or another pot. I prefer metal) You are building a tiny steam oven. The steam is around your food but not make from your food, so you aren't watering down your recipe. Voila!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 03:09 PM   #497
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Chili, homemade spaghetti sauce, any personal recipe that you don't want to water down: cook Pot-in-Pot. For a 6qt or an 8qt Instant Pot, a spare liner for the 3qt instant pot maximizes the internal space you can use.

Water in your IP liner, trivet, smaller pot with food in it. (the 3qt liner, or another pot. I prefer metal) You are building a tiny steam oven. The steam is around your food but not make from your food, so you aren't watering down your recipe. Voila!
I'd been wondering about PiP for stuff like that Thanks
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2019, 04:00 PM   #498
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
...off to check Amaozn for "3 qt instant pot liner" and also "silicon egg bite tray," cuz apparently that's a thing.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:37 PM   #499
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
...off to check Amaozn for "3 qt instant pot liner" and also "silicon egg bite tray," cuz apparently that's a thing.
I'd used HBlife Silicone Egg Bites Molds... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0798LX568?...p_mob_ap_share
Old 02-02-2019, 02:18 AM   #500
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest@de View Post
For those that make yogurt with the IP do you boil the milk in the pot or in individual containers?

I’ve been using the IP to make yoghurt since I bought it, but I don’t boil the milk in it, I prefer to use the cuisine companion for that, after the mixture is done I pour the yoghurt to the glass jars and then I put them on the IP using the yogurt function.

Last week my cuisine companion was out of work so I decided to try and boil the milk in the IP, in the instruction manual it says that the milk can be put on containers over the trivet and adding water to the bottom of the IP, so I did just that.

When I opened the IP there was milk in the bottom mixed with the water, I thought the milk had boiled and spilled, I lifted the glass jar to place it on the counter to let it cool and when I had just cleared the IP walls the bottom of the jar fell, the milk spilled all over the counter and the floor and I was standing there with the jar in my hand thinking what just happened? I lifted the second jar and it also had no bottom, so that was why there was milk on the IP.

I used the same glass jars I use every time, and they are jars for canning so they are heat resistant, I can’t understand what happened, I just know that it was a nightmare to clean all the spill milked, because the IP was on the stovetop, so the milk spread in the counter, in the drawers, had to remove everything from the drawer, and the induction stovetop started beeping and lights flashing, I think some had run below the stovetop.

I would like to try again but I’m afraid it will happen again since I don’t know what caused it, I don’t what to boil the milk in the pot so I don’t have to clean it between boiling and making the yoghurt, has I prefer to make it in portions rather then having to divide it after
While it is possible to use glass in an instant pot, it is not recommended and even Pyrex glass can break or crack. You would think that the yogurt setting would not be as hot and risky as pressure cooking.

I make yogurt in the pot directly and wait until after I've chilled the yogurt before putting into containers. I use the cold start method with Fairlife ultra-filtered (ultra-pasteurized) milk (or other brand of u-f milk, but I've only seen the Fairlife brand here) and 2 tblsp. yogurt. I also add a can of sweetened condensed milk (because I don't care for plain tart yogurt). Whisk the ingredients in the pot. Push the yogurt button and 8 hours later it is ready to put into the refrigerator. I chill minimum of 4 hours before putting into other containers. I haven't used small glass ones yet. I use 1 qt. plastic deli containers. It makes 2 quarts. If I had any glass mason jars, I would use them.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2019, 01:12 PM   #501
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Last night we made some meatloaf for supper; twas quite enjoyable.

Just had a bowl of the Leek and Potato Soup along with a slice of ryvita (a crisp bread) for lunch.

I've been enjoying "The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook" by Coco Morante for her ideas (as well as the standard trick of googling for Instant Pot and the dish I want to try).

What I dislike though are the bloggers who have a looooooooong write-up with step by step pictures (and ads) before finally having the concise ingredient list and recipe. I also appreciate those sites that include some nutritional analysis of their recipe; I'm trying for lower carb meals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2019, 01:43 PM   #502
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Last night we made some meatloaf for supper; twas quite enjoyable.

Just had a bowl of the Leek and Potato Soup along with a slice of ryvita (a crisp bread) for lunch.

I've been enjoying "The Essential Instant Pot Cookbook" by Coco Morante for her ideas (as well as the standard trick of googling for Instant Pot and the dish I want to try).
Yeah? I have 2 IP cookbooks, and I'm pretty underwhelmed with both. I was pretty vexed with one, which was obviously just a rehash of another book and the eBook formatting was godawful--items in the TOC that weren't in the book, the wrong titles on some recipes--ghastly. The other is just...inadequate, IMHO.

Quote:
What I dislike though are the bloggers who have a looooooooong write-up with step by step pictures (and ads) before finally having the concise ingredient list and recipe. I also appreciate those sites that include some nutritional analysis of their recipe; I'm trying for lower carb meals.
OMG, YES YES YES^ This a THOUSAND times! I really do NOT need your blow-by-blow.

That being said, these, speaking of Egg Bites, looks awesome: https://www.platingsandpairings.com/...bucks-copycat/ and I plan to try them shortly. I need the silicon muffin tin.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:15 PM   #503
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found the egg-bites to be too small for my normal breakfast. I gave the tray away, in a wedding present package. However, a silicone muffin tray would be a little bigger, and might be worthwhile.
Old 02-05-2019, 02:27 PM   #504
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I found the egg-bites to be too small for my normal breakfast. I gave the tray away, in a wedding present package. However, a silicone muffin tray would be a little bigger, and might be worthwhile.
Badgood:

Do you mean these egg bites, in the above-referenced blog? Or SBUX egg bites?

Hitch
Old 02-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #505
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I think the Instant Pot egg-bites are patterned after the SBUX ones. I've never had SBUX (I hate coffee). So I meant this tray, which is also sold as a baby food freezer tray:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GQFFN5

They're kinda tiny. A muffin tin is probably bigger.

I decided I'd prefer to use the eggs and vegs and make an omelette or scrambled egg thing. In a cake pan. Rather than tiny bites.
Old 02-05-2019, 05:52 PM   #506
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
I think the Instant Pot egg-bites are patterned after the SBUX ones. I've never had SBUX (I hate coffee). So I meant this tray, which is also sold as a baby food freezer tray:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B078GQFFN5

They're kinda tiny. A muffin tin is probably bigger.

I decided I'd prefer to use the eggs and vegs and make an omelette or scrambled egg thing. In a cake pan. Rather than tiny bites.
They look about the same--the one you're referring to, and the one that she (the blogger) recommended, but the pots/muffin slots look a wee bit larger, in hers. There's only so large they can be, if you're going to fit them in the IP, of course.

I don't think that most people think of the Egg Bites as full meals, given that you get (imho) about half an egg per. They might be quite filling, though, with the veggies, cheese, etc.

I'm planning on trying them, not as breakfast per se, but as snacks to have 'round the place. The hub really needs to lose 25lbs, the weight he gained after his taste buds went kablooey, so...

Hitch
Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 PM   #507
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Tonight was cream of tomato soup.

Another yum

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2019, 03:44 AM   #508
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
When I make the egg bites, I usually have 2 for breakfast. I have never made enough to fill all 7 molds at once, but what I make can last for 3 breakfasts.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #509
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Ahh. When I make a plain fried egg breakfast, I use 3 eggs. I need lots of protein at breakfast, and very little starch/sugar ... or my blood sugar forces me to take a nap an hour later. So, if each egg bite is 1/2 an egg, I'd be filling 6 slots -- more, if I'm stuffing the eggs with veggies. So a cake-tin omelette/quiche works better for me.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:00 PM   #510
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Just did a New York style cheesecake in the IP. It's chilling in the fridge for dessert tomorrow - just need to make a peach sauce for the top.

I've been doing egg bites in the oven for a while now. I first started in a regular non-stick muffin tin. They held one large egg each, but were difficult to clean despite being supposedly non-stick. Then I started using silicone muffin molds, but they were much smaller - about 1/2 a large egg. Easier to clean though.

How is the texture of the instant pot egg bites? The mold size looks to be in-between the two muffin pans I've used so far. I don't mind eating more than one.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote