Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-14-2023, 08:22 AM   #1
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Favourite Christmas/Winter movie?

Do you have a favourite movie to watch over the Christmas period? Is there a movie your family watches out of tradition?

For me it's:

Groundhog Day (not Christmas... but wintery vibes)
Home Alone 1 or 2 (for the lolz)
Scrooge (The Albert Finney version)
neil_swann80 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 10:48 AM   #2
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
For me and my wife, it's National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and Gremlins.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2023, 11:15 AM   #3
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
My two favorite Christmas movies are set at Christmastime, but aren't about Christmas: Bachelor Mother with Ginger Rogers (her first movie after breaking up with Fred Astaire) and David Niven, and the incomparable Preston Sturges's The Miracle of Morgan's Creek with Betty Hutton and Eddie Bracken.

Two favorites about Christmas are Barbara Stanwyck goodies: Christmas in Connecticut and Remember the Night.

These movies never stale, but I have to admit that after years of watching the same rota I'm tired of most of the rest of my old favorites. I'd love to freshen the list.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:28 AM   #4
rantanplan
Fanatic
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
I completely forgot about The Last Unicorn. Not a Christmas movie per se, but still a tradition. Also as a fun fact, Christopher Lee also dubbed his role in the German dub. He was multilingual, after all.
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 11:54 AM   #5
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation for sure, White Christmas for Danny Kaye's dancing. It's a Wonderful Life because, well, you know.

And one we've not watched recently, Jodie Foster's Home for the Holidays which is really more a Thanksgiving movie. This has some terrific A list actors, Anne Bancroft, Geraldine Chaplin, and Charles Durning, as well as Robert Downey Jr. during his heroin phase. It really hits some familiar family dynamics right on the nose.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2023, 05:40 PM   #6
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Miracle on 34th street (The Ed Gwenn version)
It's a wonderful life
I heard the bells (about H.W. Longfellow and how he came to write "I heard the bells on Christmas Day.")
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2023, 05:45 AM   #7
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
My favorites:

Scrooge or A Christmas Carol (1951 version with Alistair Sim)
Love Actually
White Christmas (Bing Crosby, Danny Kaye)
The Bishop's Wife (Cary Grant, Loretta Young, David Niven)

I haven't watched any of these this season yet, because I've been caught up in new releases and just finished The Crown. I have a lot of other Christmas movies on my watchlists in streaming channels.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 04:50 AM   #8
robibbi
robibbi began at the beginning.

Device: none
I can suggest classic Christmas movies that many families enjoy. "It's a Wonderful Life," "Home Alone," and "A Christmas Carol" are timeless choices.
robibbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 02:24 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Winter movie–sort of–that I like would be "Cool Runnings".
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2023, 09:46 PM   #10
hoodaudrey979
hoodaudrey979 began at the beginning.

Below is a list of good Christmas movies that I would like to suggest to you:

It's a Wonderful Knife (2023)
Candy Cane Lane (2023)
A Boy Called Christmas
Jingle Jangle: A Christmas Journey
Last Christmas
The Polar Express
The Grinch
Home alone

Hope it helps you, Merry Christmas!
hoodaudrey979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2023, 11:27 AM   #11
oldnarnian
oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.oldnarnian is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle
My wife and I watched Miracle on 34th Street (1947) for Christmas, and we loved seeing it again. That would be a favorite.
oldnarnian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2024, 11:27 PM   #12
hoodselina44
hoodselina44 began at the beginning.

For me, my favorite Christmas movie is: Home Alone
hoodselina44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:27 PM   #13
captainredbeard
captainredbeard began at the beginning.

My best Christmas movie recommendation for you is A Christmas Carol
captainredbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 03:43 AM   #14
adelineana
adelineana began at the beginning.

Consider watching "Elf." It's a heartwarming and comedic Christmas film starring Will Ferrell as Buddy, a human raised by elves, on a quest to find his real father in New York City.
adelineana is offline   Reply With Quote