Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 06-01-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
pnpires
pnpires began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
New Kobo firmware

Can I update the Kobo with this new firmware and preserve everything on Koreader?

Or is there anything I should do before updating? Or maybe after?

Did you do it already?
pnpires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #2
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
yup, you can. If you have ksm, do it with ksm (tools > kobo FW update.msh > check recentFW url.sh ; download FW.sh ; handle FW Zip.msh) and reboot.

If you have not installed ksm and if you use another way to switch from nickel to koreader; I think it will be ok to update as usual if you use fmon (NiLuJe needs to confirm this) but it won't be ok if you use something like advboot (which modifies some files used at boot which are likely to be overwriten).

Last edited by cramoisi; 06-01-2018 at 08:15 AM.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 08:57 AM   #3
JazzyJ
JazzyJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Why do Kobo not update things that are needed?

Another Kobo update of nothingness.....

Now 2018, and still no expandable TOC.

Open a reference book, open the TOC and scroll, and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll and scroll .......

great, got to the page I needed!

That's why I prefer E-Readers to books - so easy to navigate.

It's great that Kobo are 'on the ball' with customers needs....
JazzyJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:40 AM   #4
pnpires
pnpires began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by cramoisi View Post
yup, you can. If you have ksm, do it with ksm (tools > kobo FW update.msh > check recentFW url.sh ; download FW.sh ; handle FW Zip.msh) and reboot.
Thanks! After all sort of flashes and arrows rotating and reboots, some praying also, in the end everything was fine. My Nickel and my Koreader are both happy and updated

I forget to say that I have KSM

Last edited by pnpires; 06-01-2018 at 11:14 AM.
pnpires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 11:02 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@cramoisi: Yeah, it's also perfectly safe w/ fmon/KFMon, you just have to reinstall your launcher of choice after an update .

And, of course, in this instance, the update procedure is the same one as on a vanilla device (i.e., a sync, or sideloading it).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Also, I would just mention, in case someone might be interested, I didn't update my original software (nickel) since I switched (about two weeks in my getting new Kobo and discovering that nickel isn't what I want and finding about koreader) to KSM and koreader combo.

Anyway, everything works and I think that I'm on 3.12 firmware, but not sure really.

So, if someone don't need nickel, KSM and koreader is much, much better solution, with more options, etc.
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #7
cramoisi
Librarian
cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.cramoisi did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: kobo gloHD - KA1
@pnpires : you're welcome. As Alan_S said if you only use koreader you don't really need to update nickel.
@NiLuJe : I only updated one time in 2 years and it was for giving you a proper strace log
@Alan_S : yup at the end, I think a choice has to be made
@JazzyJ : you won't find too much people for discussion about that on this forum, but you could go on https://www.mobileread.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=223 ; where it is debated at each new firmware release =) I only answered because the question was about koreader; I don't use nickel anyway and when it comes to reference books I go with paper.
cramoisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 12:14 AM   #8
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I'm still on v3.0.5 Kobo Firmware and KSM7.4, I don't use Nickel or miss any of the "features" added to the stock software. I am more likely to be missing out on something tshering might have added to KSM. KOReader's development is so much more fun to watch and it is in line with reading, not selling books from the Kobo store.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote