Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Okay, back to basics

Your device (the cybook) has two kinds of memory, RAM-memory and ROM-memory. RAM means random access memory and it is the 512MB memory of your device where the books are stored. ROM means read only memory and you can't access that part of your machine. It's the place where the operating system (Linux) and the programs are stored (with programs I mean your PDF-reader, Mobi-pocket reader, picture-viewer etc).
That's a little inaccurate. Both the memory where books are stored and the memory where the firmware is stored are "flash" memory. The only difference between them is that the firmware is stored (mostly at least) on an internal partition which isn't directly visible to the user. Both the "visible" and "invisible" partitions are the same "type" of memory.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 04:52 AM   #17
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a little inaccurate. Both the memory where books are stored and the memory where the firmware is stored are "flash" memory. The only difference between them is that the firmware is stored (mostly at least) on an internal partition which isn't directly visible to the user. Both the "visible" and "invisible" partitions are the same "type" of memory.
As I said, I cut some corners. Ofcourse they are the same "type" of memory, a Cybook hasn't got a 'clasic' hard-drive with a moving disc. The theory about RAM and ROM memory stays the same though.

EDIT :

Bugger, to be true I cut a little to much corners.... The way I state it it seems like your RAM memory is the same as your storage capacity.. Well it isn't. Your storage capacity is the place where your books are stored and your RAM-memory is the place where your program runs while you use it (so your PDF-reader or Mobi-reader etc). All the same, when you reflash your system you rewrite your ROM memory, and that is the answer to the question asked.........

Last edited by ErwinOtten; 09-09-2008 at 09:57 AM. Reason: clarification
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert