Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 05-13-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Turning RSS feeds into full articles? NY Times Magazine?

I use the RSS feed of the NY Times Magazine. Alas, that only gets me the first page of the RSS articles listed. I've been tearing my hair out (what's left of it! ) trying to figure out a way to fetch all the pages for articles.

I've been playing around with follow off-site links, follow only sub-folder links, etc. exclude, include filters.

I use this source http://www.nytimes.com/services/xml/...t/Magazine.xml

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 05-29-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
If you're on Windows, you can use Mobipocket. It is the only software I know that fetches full articles even from abbreviated RSS feeds.

I am looking for something similar for Mac, BTW. Anyone?
Advert
Old 06-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm on the Mac, too!

My set up is iSilo and hot synching to fetch the news weekly. (I was using Avantgo for the NY Times, but it fetches too much and often the links are deadends.)

With a wireless Palm, it's a different story. I tried Resco News and Quick News on a Palm TJ37, but the automatic fetching doesn't work right.

I suppose it's just a matter of time (a few days now) before I'll be seriously considering jumping ship to an iPhone or iPod Touch!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:33 AM   #4
jotheman
Sleeper.
jotheman began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max2, Kinde Voyage, reMarkable, Dasung Paperlike Pro
mac software

Kovid Goyal's fine little (that's an understatement) program 'Calibre' runs under Mac OS X and will fetch full articles from any RSS feed. It turns them into LRF files, though. That's the proprietary Sony Reader format, which isn't of much use for people like me who don't own one, but Kovid is working to support more output formats in the future (especially ePub).

Cheers,

jo.
Old 06-22-2008, 11:42 AM   #5
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Without complete success I have tried this:

http://labs.echoditto.com/fulltextrss

Here's their full text rss conversion of the New York Times magazine:

http://labs.echoditto.com/projects/f...2FMagazine.xml

If you navigate to the link above, you will see that continuations are not included for the longer articles. Maybe this could be fixed up with the AvantGo link depth setting, but, on my device, I think it would just make a mess of it.

There are other RSS feeds where http://labs.echoditto.com/fulltextrss does a great job. You will sometimes find New York Times magazine articles, in full, with continuations, here via RealClearPolitics.com:

http://labs.echoditto.com/projects/f...itics-Articles

The above link works beautifully for me on my Windows 2000 PC, but is terrible on my Palm Z22 due to loss of word wrap in AvantGo. I can correct this by copying entire articles, one by one, into the built-in Palm Memos application, or into another text editor with good word wrap. But if anyone has an easier idea, I would love to learn it.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 06-22-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Thank you MobileRead folks for allowing edits. I love this feature!
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
robinson
Zealot

Steve, much thanks for the details. I'll give some of those a try.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 AM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotheman View Post
Kovid Goyal's fine little (that's an understatement) program 'Calibre' runs under Mac OS X and will fetch full articles from any RSS feed. It turns them into LRF files, though. That's the proprietary Sony Reader format, which isn't of much use for people like me who don't own one, but Kovid is working to support more output formats in the future (especially ePub).
You should be able to use feeds2lrf to create the LRF file, then lrf2html to convert that to HTML.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:25 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Better to use feeds2disk to directly create HTML.