Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-30-2018, 12:03 PM   #46
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
In the quote you are replying to, Darryl was referring to library books, not purchased books.

Books you purchase, have at it. Books you get from Overdrive, it's possible to strip the DRM and keep them forever. But you sure can't argue you paid for them.
Are you saying that your libraries aren't paying for the ebooks?

Here, I/we are paying for library books, through taxes. So I guess you can argue that you are paying for library books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 03:46 PM   #47
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post

Here, I/we are paying for library books, through taxes. So I guess you can argue that you are paying for library books.
I hereby declare that you are entitled to 1/1,000 of a book. The Libraries certainly do pay and even keep track of the number of copies they paid for so they won't check out more than they paid for.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2018, 05:24 PM   #48
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:

Next time you're pulled over, try telling the cop that since your taxes pay his salary, you are his boss and you've decided you don't want that ticket. See where that gets you
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:39 PM   #49
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
After scanning this thread, I decided to order a Kobo Aura One to try as my backpacking eReader. My biggest gripe with my paperwhite is all the junk I get on the screen from Amazon, even though I paid for the ad free unit. Yes, I know that I can turn off the wifi, but it's just annoying.

The two things that attracted to me with the Aura are the larger size (I don't plan to carry my reading glasses with me backpacking) and the fact that it supports series. I have a lot of series and don't always remember what the order of a series is off the top of my head.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 05:58 PM   #50
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Next time you're pulled over, try telling the cop that since your taxes pay his salary, you are his boss and you've decided you don't want that ticket. See where that gets you
I would say that I do pay his salary. I'd also say that I paid for library books. YMMV
Advert
Old 04-30-2018, 06:44 PM   #51
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
After scanning this thread, I decided to order a Kobo Aura One to try as my backpacking eReader.
Welcome to the Light Side, hope you enjoy it It has lots of goodies available for calibre users. Also lots of optional tweaks available even if you don't use calibre.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 07:25 PM   #52
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Welcome to the Light Side, hope you enjoy it It has lots of goodies available for calibre users. Also lots of optional tweaks available even if you don't use calibre.
I do most of my reading on an iPad pro. The paperwhite is just for backpacking sort of trips. My first eReader was a Sony PRS-500, so I've been using Caibre long before it was called Calibre. If the Kobo supports series plus tags or collections then I'm going to be a happy camper (so to speak).
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 PM   #53
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If the Kobo supports series plus tags or collections then I'm going to be a happy camper (so to speak).
No problem with either of those, plus the calibre Comments are also transferred across as an added bonus.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:09 AM   #54
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I would say that I do pay his salary. I'd also say that I paid for library books. YMMV
You pay for the operation of the library. That does not entitle you to ownership of the books within.
Old 05-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #55
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
You pay for the operation of the library. That does not entitle you to ownership of the books within.
Yes. We are paying for a service that lets us borrow books. We can't keep hardback books borrowed from the library either.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b06a74c9f1fd8d
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:20 PM   #56
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Going back to your original statement:

Quote:
Books you purchase, have at it. Books you get from Overdrive, it's possible to strip the DRM and keep them forever. But you sure can't argue you paid for them.
OK, I pay for the operation of the library (through taxes). The library pays for the books. Therefore my tax dollars pay for the books. Therefore I pay for the books.
Old 05-02-2018, 10:35 AM   #57
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Going back to your original statement:

OK, I pay for the operation of the library (through taxes). The library pays for the books. Therefore my tax dollars pay for the books. Therefore I pay for the books.
So you were being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative?

Let us not forget, my original statement was in response to "I do not think its wrong to strip DRM off an ebook as long as you are not selling the copy or distributing it free to other people. I feel we should be able to read our books on any device we choose after all we paid for it right?"
Old 05-02-2018, 01:34 PM   #58
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
So you were being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative?
Quote:
Let us not forget, my original statement was in response to "I do not think its wrong to strip DRM off an ebook as long as you are not selling the copy or distributing it free to other people. I feel we should be able to read our books on any device we choose after all we paid for it right?"
I assumed she doesn't keep it past the due date, you assumed she does. Either way it can be argued that she paid for it, since her tax dollars are paying for it (I assume), which is counter to what you said: "But you sure can't argue you paid for them".

If you are going to say things like "you can't argue...", expect a response.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
If you are going to say things like "you can't argue...", expect a response.
Thank you. I learned a valuable lesson, I'm sure
Old 05-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #60
thekidsmom
Connoisseur
thekidsmom began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy Tab 3, nook, Nexus 7, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl View Post
............ However, I also download a copy on my computer for "transfer by USB" and import it to Calibre, removing DRM. That way I have the best of both worlds. I can enjoy Amazon's excellent infrastructure as they intend it whilst also having a DRM free backup and avoiding lock-in.
Darryl; we are of the same mind. Calibre makes me happy. I'm considering buying my 1st kindle after my old Nook Touch finally died. I've been using samsung tablets for years as my ereaders, but need an 'outside' e-reader now that my Nook has bit the dust. And yes, I'm anal and travel with my tablet AND my e-reader.

Do you ever send your drm free calibre books BACK to the kindle for any reason? Is it possible? Before buying a kindle, I need to make sure it will play nicely with Calibre. Thanks!
thekidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote