Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #61
jpchan
jpchan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookishDreamer View Post
OMG! That's my favorite so far, probably because I've spent too much time troubleshooting sql recently.

Dreamer
How about this one for all you SQL people:

Select * from USERS where CLUE > 0

No records found

jpchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 02:24 PM   #62
BookishDreamer
Cultural Artist
BookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterBookishDreamer can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony 505, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchan View Post

No records found

Good one, jpchan! That one is going to be printed and anonymously left on the desk of a programmer I know.

<Oh, someone left that on your desk? Really? Nope, never seen it before. >

Dreamer
BookishDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #63
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
The "general failure" line is from Dave Barry's book on computers. The book also contains this wonderful line (I am quoting from memory and the actual phrasing may not be correct): "We need ever more powerful computers so that we can get error messages faster."

Last edited by radleyp; 08-06-2008 at 03:34 PM.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:33 PM   #64
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I think my brain just melted down.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:38 PM   #65
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
R Wood: why from right to left in Greek?
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #66
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpchan View Post

No records found

"Hmmmm. Time for another LART session. Gotta go grab the clue-by-four from the tech closet. Let's check what the BOFH is up to for some new training ideas..."
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #67
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
R Wood: why from right to left in Greek?
Perhaps because of the character set peculiar to the APL language.
______
Dennis
Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM   #68
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Also because the APL (it stands for A Programming Language) code is executed from right to left on the line.

Long ago in grad school a friend of mine and I would write APL programs and then have the other figure out what they did. The loser bought pizza. Since whole programs can be written in just one line of APL this is harder than it sounds.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 05:06 PM   #69
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Also because the APL (it stands for A Programming Language) code is executed from right to left on the line.

Long ago in grad school a friend of mine and I would write APL programs and then have the other figure out what they did. The loser bought pizza. Since whole programs can be written in just one line of APL this is harder than it sounds.
Sounds like the old trick of figuring out what your name would do in TECO.
______
Dennis
Old 08-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #70
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
TECO was a pain. I always used (when available SOS (Son of Stopgap.) I stayed on DEC-10s when I could and the only time I remember that I had to use TECO was a stint on a RSTS-11 box and once on a PDP-8.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 AM   #71
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Ah, TECO was fun! At my first job I wrote a set of TECO macros to transform quite a few Record & Field definitions (from formal interface specs) into PL/M-86 structure definitions, including such things as having to calculate field sizes & offsets for the varient parts! Took a few days but saved weeks of effort (& excluded all the manual mistakes that would have crept in).
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:12 AM   #72
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
TECO was a pain. I always used (when available SOS (Son of Stopgap.) I stayed on DEC-10s when I could and the only time I remember that I had to use TECO was a stint on a RSTS-11 box and once on a PDP-8.
I used SOS a bit, but I had only brief acquaintance with DEC-10s. My shop at the time ran PDP-11/45 and 11/70 boxes, usder RSTS-E and RSX-11m+, respectively. I also logged time on VAXen under VMS.

I still have an editor or two around that emulate EDT.
______
Dennis
Old 08-07-2008, 10:15 AM   #73
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Ah, TECO was fun! At my first job I wrote a set of TECO macros to transform quite a few Record & Field definitions (from formal interface specs) into PL/M-86 structure definitions, including such things as having to calculate field sizes & offsets for the varient parts! Took a few days but saved weeks of effort (& excluded all the manual mistakes that would have crept in).
TECO was better suited for macros that would be used in batch jabs than for interactive editing.

Though I have thought on occasion of trying to track down the old ITS macro set and recreate the original emacs...

Gotta love a language whose code bears a strong resemblance to line noise...
______
Dennis
Old 08-07-2008, 10:17 AM   #74
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
These jokes are just thigh slappers, let me tell you!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #75
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
These jokes are just thigh slappers, let me tell you!
Actually, old-timers may tell you that dealing with TECO promotes head-banging, not thigh-slapping...
______
Dennis

Tags
unutterable silliness