Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #1
rapunza
rapunza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question re: Calibre bug report

Hi all. I don't understand some error messages I got when I had Calibre CHECK the eBOOK I created in Pressbooks. I'm only a code sophomore, so go easy on me, please.

1. Calibre CHECK BOOK error message:
"WARNING: CSS: Property: Unknown Property name. [181:3: hyphens]****[OEBPS/baker.css]"

The explanation reads: "This CSS construct is not recognized. That means that it most likely will not work on reader devices. Consider replacing it with something else."

This construct being:

.no-hyphens, span.no-hyphens, p.no-hyphens {
hyphens: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none; }

which is the code that was already in Pressbooks.

Yet when try to find a fix I get plenty Google hits for "hyphens: none;
-webkit-hyphens: none;" being sound code. Should I just ignore the error as a non-error?

2. Calibre CHECK BOOK error message:
Same deal, except this time regarding code for a textbox:

margin-outside: auto; and
margin-inside: auto;

This was also code that was already in Pressbooks, and as far as I can tell it's sound. Should I just ignore the error as a non-error?

Thank you so much for any feedback!
rapunza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Those are warnings not errors and they refer to the fact that those CSS properties are not in the CSS 2.1 standard which means they may not be supported in some readers. It's up to you whether you are OK with ignoring them or not.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 12:26 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Oh and just FYI

hyphens is not in any CSS specification (IIRC it is only present in the CSS3 Text module working draft)

And margin-inside/margin-outside are not even in any CSS working draft. IIRC they are only used by Prince XML https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/issues/255
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 01:32 AM   #4
rapunza

Thank you!

Thanks so much. Not just for your reply, but also for your genius and generosity in creating Calibre in the first place. Cheers!
Old 05-03-2018, 03:43 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you haven't tried it already, you can check out the CSS validator at CSS Validator. It does give a bit more information about errors in stylesheets including some proprietary items.

Sample output:
Code:
1 		Unrecognized at-rule @namespace h
22 	.epbody 	Value Error : height only 0 can be a length. You must put a unit after your number : 792
23 	.epbody 	Value Error : width only 0 can be a length. You must put a unit after your number : 528
41 	.paraindent 	Value Error : orphans 0 is not valid, only values greater than 0 allowed. : 0
42 	.paraindent 	Property so-language doesn't exist : en-US
61 	.paranonindent 	Value Error : widows 0 is not valid, only values greater than 0 allowed. : 0
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:26 PM   #6
rapunza

Sorry I never replied to this. Thanks for your helpful tip! I've used it several times since. Cheers.