Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM   #1
big_smile
big_smile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Oddities when converting a book

I produce my books in Apple Pages and then export as an Epub. I then bring the Epub into Calibre and export as an Epub again as it reduces the file size by around 20% (and so the delivery fees that Amazon charges).

However, when I do this, I get some oddities:

1) Strange line breaks

In the following example, Calibre will split the above into two pages, so "series number" and everything underneath it goes on a separate page. Is there any way to stop Calibre inserting breaks. I've checked the options but can find any?

2) Table of contents at the end
My books already have a Table of Contents at the start (when exported from Apple Pages), but Calibre inserts it's own Table of Contents at the end. Is there a way to disable this?

Thanks for any help
big_smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:00 PM   #2
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Check your top and bottom margins in the .css file for each class on the title page and decrease the size of those margins.

Sounds like you might have the box checked for Generate ToC at the end of book in the conversion options. I'm not at my main computer, so I can't quite remember where it is, but probably under Common Options somewhere. Uncheck that box when you find it.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 03:46 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_smile View Post
In the following example, Calibre will split the above into two pages, so "series number" and everything underneath it goes on a separate page. Is there any way to stop Calibre inserting breaks. I've checked the options but can find any?
If you've run a calibre epub-to-epub conversion you need to have a look at 2 things:
  1. the value you've set in:
    Convert - Structure detection - Detect chapters at
  2. Using the calibre Editor, compare the above with the HTML tags actually present in your source epub for
    'My Book'
    'Subtitle'
    'Series number'
    'by Me the author'
For example, if you've used calibre's original default without considering whether it's appropriate for this book, you'll probably find that you're automatically getting chapter breaks for every <h1> and <h2> tag.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 07:06 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
First thing to do is dump Apple Pages. It produces some rather poor code. Use either the Calibre Editor or Sigil to make your ePub master eBook. Hand crafting the code will make it better and simpler code means it will work better. Also, you want to install the epubcheck plunging for whichever editor you use and you can validate your ePub.

Amazon might reject your eBook as they do not like Calibre code in eBooks being sold. So hand crafting your eBook means it won’t be rejected for Calibre code.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-13-2018 at 07:10 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 06:23 AM   #5
big_smile
big_smile began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon might reject your eBook as they do not like Calibre code in eBooks being sold. So hand crafting your eBook means it won’t be rejected for Calibre code.
Oh, wow I didn't know that. In that case, I might just stick with Pages. I know it has some dodgy code. But it works fine on Kindle.

I was only trying to optimize the file size with Calibre as it saves a few pennies on the delivery fees. But to be honest, with all the difficulties I have encountered, I'd probably be better off just paying the pennies (especially as I don't really sell that many copies anyway!).
big_smile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:57 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can optimize with Calibre. Go into the Editor and in the preferences (in the editor, Edit > Preferences) turn off Update metadata embedded in the book when opening.

You can losslessly compress any graphics. You can subset any embedded fonts. But the one thing you cannot do automatically is to fix the crappy code from Pages. This is why you should dump pages and hand code your ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote