Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-11-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Amon_Re
Zealot
Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.Amon_Re is less competitive than you.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Poketbook Inkpad 3 & Boyue Likebook Minas
Koreader > Calibre Wireless Device Connection

Hi,

I've installed Koreader on my Boyue Likebook Mimas and I'm trying to use koreader's wireless connection to Calibre.

I can successfully connect to Calibre from Koreader as long as I don't set a password and send eBooks to the device, but on reconnect Calibre can't see the eBooks I previously transmitted nor sync reading position.

Is this normal behaviour or am I messing something up?
Amon_Re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
IIRC, yes, that's normal behavior.

There's a couple of threads and/or issues about this, but your conclusions look sound, from what I can recall.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
Isomorpheus
Isomorpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
IIRC, yes, that's normal behavior.

There's a couple of threads and/or issues about this, but your conclusions look sound, from what I can recall.
I can't find those related threads or issues. Can you link some?

Is there intention to fix this behavior?
Isomorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:41 AM   #4
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorpheus View Post
I can't find those related threads or issues. Can you link some?

Is there intention to fix this behavior?
I am not a Koreader developer at all, but having implemented a Calibre wireless client myself (in fact, it's going through an update at the moment), I can say that the Koreader implements just enough of the protocol to keep Calibre from complaining, and no more. It is a very bare-bones implementation.

In other words, it would take some effort to "fix" it. I have no idea when or if anyone will do so (not a koreader dev, so can't speak for them). I don't know Lua, or the koreader architecture, but if anyone on the team wants to create a more complete implementation, I'm happy to share any of my own learning about the protocol.

As a side-note, I was very grateful for the bare-bones Koreader implementation. It helped me figure out where to start with my own.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, the developer that came up with it (@chrox) is currently inactive, so I wouldn't get my hopes up .

I don't think any of the currently active contributors actually even *use* it, so, if someone's up to it, PRs welcome .

In the meantime, I highly recommend @sherman's own implementation .
Old 10-18-2019, 03:54 PM   #6
Isomorpheus
Isomorpheus began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherman View Post
I am not a Koreader developer at all, but having implemented a Calibre wireless client myself (in fact, it's going through an update at the moment), I can say that the Koreader implements just enough of the protocol to keep Calibre from complaining, and no more. It is a very bare-bones implementation.

In other words, it would take some effort to "fix" it. I have no idea when or if anyone will do so (not a koreader dev, so can't speak for them). I don't know Lua, or the koreader architecture, but if anyone on the team wants to create a more complete implementation, I'm happy to share any of my own learning about the protocol.

As a side-note, I was very grateful for the bare-bones Koreader implementation. It helped me figure out where to start with my own.
Your solution sounds nice. I gave it a try but got an error. Opened an issue for it.
Isomorpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:14 PM   #7
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I don't think any of the currently active contributors actually even *use* it, so, if someone's up to it, PRs welcome .
Depends on how you define use. I figure I might use it as an EPUB debugging aid once every few months, to see how fast or slow it renders something or to inspect its DOM and styles.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 04:24 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I, err, meant the plugin, not Calibre itself ^^.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:00 PM   #9
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isomorpheus View Post
Your solution sounds nice. I gave it a try but got an error. Opened an issue for it.
As noted on Github, I'm looking into this.

As a sidenote, I sometimes hate working with Calibre emitted JSON. It seems to assume one is processing it with a dynamically typed language, so data types aren't always very... strict. For example, date/timestamp fields. If there is no date/time, one would expect the field to be non-existent, or null. What one doesn't expect is the string "None"

It makes unmarshalling into a Go struct an exercise in frustration
Old 10-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #10
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
None is Python null. You'd think the JSON library would convert it to null though, not string "None" (which isn't what "None" is, anyway).

Edit: like so
Code:
>>> bla = None
>>> if bla == None: print('wee')
wee
>>> bla = 'None'
>>> if bla == None: print('wee')
>>>

Last edited by Frenzie; 10-18-2019 at 05:44 PM.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #11
sherman
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
None is Python null. You'd think the JSON library would convert it to null though, not string "None" (which isn't what "None" is, anyway).
Yeah, it doesn't. Which is highly frustrating when trying to decode a timestamp, because of course the parser errors out when it sees "None" instead of a RFC3339 formatted timestamp.

What's really annoying is that null is used elsewhere in the JSON.

EDIT: Just thinking about it a bit more, the problem probably isn't with the JSON encoder, but rather that "None" may have been stored as a string in the metadata database.

Last edited by sherman; 10-18-2019 at 05:53 PM.