Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall our August category be?
Science Fiction 13 48.15%
Fantasy 11 40.74%
Young Adult 10 37.04%
Lottery (3 winners are chosen. Each choose 3 selections, then all 9 are voted on.) 4 14.81%
Modern Lit 5 18.52%
Historical Fiction 9 33.33%
Short Stories 9 33.33%
MobileRead Authors 6 22.22%
Humor 10 37.04%
Speculative Fiction 12 44.44%
Books by Native Japanese Authors 8 29.63%
Urban Fantasy 8 29.63%
Classics 8 29.63%
Sci-Fi/Fantasy 5 18.52%
Free For All 10 37.04%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
August 2013 *Category* Poll

This poll contains your nominations for the August 2013 category. This visible poll is multiple choice and will be open for 4 days.

The story thus far:
Quote:
The 2013 MobileRead Book Club Monthly Categories
  • January: Second Chance No nominations this month. The polls will be comprised of selections that either came in second place or tied for second place during the previous 11 months.
  • February Romance
  • March Travel/Adventure
  • April Classics
  • May Mystery/Thriller
  • June Award Winners
  • July Non-Fiction
For reference and comparison purposes only, here are the 2012 Categories:
Spoiler:
January — RunnerUp (no nominations, a vote of all the runners-up nominations from the last 11 months)
February — Romance
March — Thriller/Suspense
May — Humour
May — Fantasy
June — Classic
July — Mystery/Crime
August — FreeForAll
September — NonFiction
October — Horror
November — Science Fiction
December — Classic
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Go Young Adult!

Speculative Fiction would be a fine winner, but since it includes Horror I think it'd be better for October.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Go Young Adult!

Speculative Fiction would be a fine winner, but since it includes Horror I think it'd be better for October.
So help Science Fiction to win and Speculative can have October.

Young Adult does include R L Stein who writes horror. So I guess you really don't want that either.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:20 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Wow, science fiction came from behind with several last day votes!
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:32 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Wow, science fiction came from behind with several last day votes!

Way to go Science Fiction

Last edited by JSWolf; 02-15-2013 at 08:38 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well I can't say I'm disappointed having a month for Science Fiction. It just wouldn't seem right not to have it represented somewhere.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #7
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Sci-Fi edged out Speculative Fiction for the win. I'm glad to see that Sci-Fi made the cut, but I think a month for Speculative Fiction would also be nice, as well as months for Short Stories, Humor, and Free-For-All.

Hey—that's four perfect categories for the remaining four months!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #8
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I'm happy SciFi won even though it's certainly not my favourite category. But that's kind of the point with a book club IMHO, to encourage people to explore different categories.
I'm already looking forward to maybe reading a good scifi book! (I say "maybe", because if I do or not depends on availability for me.)
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Sci-Fi edged out Speculative Fiction for the win. I'm glad to see that Sci-Fi made the cut, but I think a month for Speculative Fiction would also be nice, as well as months for Short Stories, Humor, and Free-For-All.

I agree with you about Speculative Fiction. It's a good category to contain Fantasy, Horror, Alternative History, Dystopian, Post-Apocalyptic - and to sneak in another Sci-Fi if we must.

I could live without Humor and Short Stories. But I'm sure I'll survive if they make it in there.

Still hoping to get some kind of indie in there. I've been recently favouring the MobileRead Authors nomination as I think it gives everything a nice "homey" feeling. We could even invite the author to participate which could add value to the discussion.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I've been recently favouring the MobileRead Authors nomination as I think it gives everything a nice "homey" feeling. We could even invite the author to participate which could add value to the discussion.
+1 to this
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #11
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I've already started to wonder if it is a failure of the new multi-vote system that Science Fiction hadn't won until now. Something along the line if many second or third choices had beaten up the first choice.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

I would have preferred Speculative Fiction to win, that would include Science Fiction, it's "kissing cousin" Fantasy, and the whole horror/mystery/thriller/ ... (not real nor could be books) genre. But I don't mind if popular opinion dictates multiple months that leave me cold. I'm still hoping that Banned Books makes it for one month.

Last edited by Hamlet53; 02-16-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:50 PM   #13
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I like Banned Books as a category, perfect for Banned Book Week September 22-28.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
caleb72
Indie Advocate

I like banned books conceptually but didn't nominate it because I was too lazy to define the specifics. Eg. I was interested in also including books that are challenged but not necessarily banned. It was at that point that I have up on the idea.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #15
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I was considering a "first book in a series" category in the hopes that I could dredge up something that sounds interesting and could keep me going for a while, I will probably nominate that for September.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote