Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Eye of the Wizard, a fantasy adventure

New fantasy novel!

When you can't run or hide, you fight back.

See larger image

EYE OF THE WIZARD
a fantasy novel by Daniel Arenson
author of Firefly Island and Flaming Dove

On the longest night of the year, a dark wizard murders a knight and his wife.

The knight's children survive and swear revenge. Sam and Jamie vow to become knights like their father. Neev, the middle child, vows to become a wizard.

Five years later, things look grim. Sam is useless with the sword. Jamie is denied knighthood because she's a girl. Neev cannot cast a spell without growing donkey ears, a monkey tail, or an elephant trunk. The siblings feel like failures.

That's when the dark wizard strikes again.

Are the siblings powerful enough to defeat him? Or will they too die at his hands?

Learn more

Buy from Kindle US

Buy from Kindle UK

Buy for Nook

Buy from Smashwords (for Nook, Kobo, Sony)

Last edited by DArenson; 03-11-2011 at 06:09 PM.
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:50 AM   #2
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How exciting that you've got another book released. If Firefly Island agrees with me, I have plenty of Arenson purchases to make.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #3
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Firefly is on alot of peoples best Indy-book of 2010. I haven't read it yet, but it's on my list...will also check out Eye of the Wizard, that looks cool.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:38 AM   #4
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I absolutely love the quality of the covers put together as well. I know it shouldn't be important, but I do place importance on covers - enough to replace them in Calibre if I don't like the original.

All the covers put out are exquisite.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:05 AM   #5
Lt. Brannigan
Enthusiast
Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Lt. Brannigan is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Sony PRS350, Kindle Wi-Fi.
I love those covers, they are almost breathtaking in their beauty.
Lt. Brannigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:10 AM   #6
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Thank you all for your kind words about my covers. When I was growing up, I admired Larry Elmore, Jeff Easley, Fred Fields, and many others fantasy illustrators. Their artwork is why I began reading fantasy novels. When I was ten years old, I found the Dragonlance novels at my local library. The cover art -- featuring dragons, wizards, knights, and archers -- was something new and fun. Fantasy artwork might be suffering a bit in the age of the thumbnail, but I still want to support it. I still think good cover art can draw in a reader, and set the tone for the novel.

You can see larger versions of my covers here.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you enjoy my work!

Daniel
Old 02-02-2011, 02:02 PM   #7
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I couldn't agree more! Plus I think a well created cover shows that the author is willing to put more into the final product, and you can sometimes bet that what's after that will be great!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
DArenson
ebookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
I couldn't agree more! Plus I think a well created cover shows that the author is willing to put more into the final product, and you can sometimes bet that what's after that will be great!
I certainly hope readers feel my books are as good as their covers.

What's fun about fantasy is that our genre has the best artwork, in my opinion. I read many genres (I'm currently reading a horror novel, a literary novel, and a YA novel), but whenever I visit the bookshop, I linger the longest in the fantasy section -- often because I'm admiring the covers.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:52 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ditto what everyone else said about the covers. I bought Firefly Island a little while ago (it's on my Kindle, just haven't read it yet), and this one sounds really interesting too.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
DArenson
ebookworm

Thanks, queentess! I hope you enjoy Firefly Island.

Eye of the Wizard is not as "serious" or "dark" as my previous novels. Flaming Dove is a tragedy. The Gods of Dream deals with trauma, escapism, and facing one's demons. But Eye of the Wizard is my homage to the fantasy novels I read growing up, especially the TSR paperbacks of the 1980s and early 90s. Those novels were short (Eye of the Wizard is only 85,000 words long -- about 250 paperback pages) and didn't take themselves too seriously. They gave you scary monsters, heroes to root for, villains to hate, and jokes to laugh (or groan) at. With this novel, I took a break from the more serious fantasy, and simply wrote a short book for entertaining readers with some action, magic, humor, and lots of creepy monsters.
Old 02-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #11
jhempel24
Wizard

Are any of these going to be available at the B&N Store soon?? Would much rather buy there than Smashwords. If not, then I'll go the Smashwords route, but enjoy having my books all archived in one place.
Old 02-03-2011, 02:45 AM   #12
DArenson
ebookworm

Quote:
Are any of these going to be available at the B&N Store soon?? Would much rather buy there than Smashwords. If not, then I'll go the Smashwords route, but enjoy having my books all archived in one place.
Firefly Island and Flaming Dove are both available in the Nook store.

Firefly Island: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fir.../2940000904497

Flaming Dove: http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Fla...2940011102509/

For now, Nook readers can buy The Gods of Dream and Eye of the Wizard directly from Smashwords.

Unfortunately, Barnes and Noble is blocked to independent authors/publishers outside the US. While American authors can upload their titles directly, Canadians (such as myself) must use third-party distributers, which are slow and unreliable. If you'd like to tell Barnes and Noble to accept indie titles from Canada, here is their email: pubit@bn.com. Maybe if enough of us email them, it will make a difference!

The good news is that Smashwords, while a little rough around the edges, is an excellent ebook store. I've bought several ePubs there for my Kobo (I alternate between my Kobo and Kindle).

Thanks for asking!
Old 02-04-2011, 01:29 AM   #13
jhempel24
Wizard

Ah okay....Smashwords usually has really really terrible formatting for their books so I don't buy from them.

I'll send an email out!! I would love to read your books!!
Old 02-04-2011, 03:31 AM   #14
DArenson
ebookworm

Quote:
Ah okay....Smashwords usually has really really terrible formatting for their books so I don't buy from them.

I'll send an email out!! I would love to read your books!!
Thanks!

I've tested my Smashwords books on my Kobo, and they look fine. If you try one, and it looks weird, email me (Daniel@DanielArenson.com) and I'll send you an ePub directly.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
jhempel24
Wizard

Okay cool. Once my Groupon gets here for B&N I'll pick up Firefly Island, and try out Eye of the Wizard from Smashwords.