Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 10:48 AM   #1
kamanza
Zealot
kamanza began at the beginning.

Device: none
Another dumb question.

As I'm learning to make ebooks, I come up with some questions, that even to me look dumb. Still, i need answers.
So here is the latest one:
What is the practical difference between:

<span class="italic">whatever</span>

and

<i>whatever</i>

As always, help is much appreciated.
kamanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:23 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamanza View Post
As I'm learning to make ebooks, I come up with some questions, that even to me look dumb. Still, i need answers.
So here is the latest one:
What is the practical difference between:

<span class="italic">whatever</span>

and

<i>whatever</i>

As always, help is much appreciated.
New (and uses the stylesheet, that just happened to name its selector for the font-face) way.

Old way HTML.
Want to change every Italic word to Bold-Italic , you need to change Each and every use of <i>

With the Stylesheet 1 change
font-face: italic; simply add the line font-weight: bold;
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
kamanza
Zealot
kamanza began at the beginning.

Device: none
I see now. Thanks a lot.
kamanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
You might want to check out http://www.w3schools.com. It goes into detail on span and style and the various tags. I don't think you can use class after span. I most commonly use class as part of a paragraph tag...<p class="fn"> for footnotes, for example. That way all the footnotes are the same and can be changed once in the stylesheet.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #5
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
You can definitely use a class attribute in a span tag.

It can be difficult to switch from thinking about applying a font style directly to text (e.g. <i>) and instead think about why you are using the style on that piece of text - i.e. why are you making it Italic. For instance its usually not just italic because you felt like it, it may be Italic because its the name of a book. In which case instead of using <i> you can use the <span class="bookname">My Book</span> syntax, along with a stylesheet that defines class bookname as italic, e.g. span.bookname { font-style: italic }

Then as theducks said, when you decide you want your book names in bold italic or pink, you just change the style definition instead of every bookname entry - and you can tell you bookname italics separate from your quote italics, etc.
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #6
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Got span and style confused! class does work in span!
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote