Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #1
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Smile Meet the Author and FREE Steven Lake title up

Dear All:

Today we have two new items on EZread.com:

1. A special Meet The Author where we interviewed Steven Lake, a writer if fantastic science fiction and a brand new saga. Take this opportunity to learn more about what makes Steven a great writer and what he has coming out! This is the first in a continuing series on Meet The Author and a feature we think makes www.EZread.com a great place to purchase eBooks.

2. To get you started on Steven Lake's "Earthfleet" Saga, Steven has consented to offer the first novel in the saga for FREE. There is NO DRM and no reason not to enjoy it. Just click on Meet The Author and you will see the free download button for the first novel in the Saga!! We loved it and we are now hooked. You will be too!!

We hope you will enjoy the changes to www.EZread.com
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
QIbHom
Connoisseur
QIbHom doesn't litterQIbHom doesn't litter

Device: Aztak EZReader Pocket Pro
Interesting...my workplace's firewall is blocking the EZread.com page. Don't know why, they weren't last week. It doesn't give anything but the blank block page. Usually that means there is some kind of code reason, not a content reason (those throw a different error page).

Since I can't provide useful information about why they are blocking it, this probably isn't useful.
QIbHom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM   #3
Davimee
Happy Wife & Momma
Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Davimee once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Purple Astak Pocket Pro! :)
Thanks, Robert! I've read the interview and downloaded the book. I'll start reading it today!
Davimee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Did you try both?

Quote:
Originally Posted by QIbHom View Post
Interesting...my workplace's firewall is blocking the EZread.com page. Don't know why, they weren't last week. It doesn't give anything but the blank block page. Usually that means there is some kind of code reason, not a content reason (those throw a different error page).

Since I can't provide useful information about why they are blocking it, this probably isn't useful.
Dear QIbHom:

Did you try both: www.MyEZread.com and www.EZread.com? Both are still working.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Yeah, everything works fine on my end. BTW, I like the fancy stuff you did with the author interview page.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #6
Robertb

My biggest fear is not finishing the saga!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Yeah, everything works fine on my end. BTW, I like the fancy stuff you did with the author interview page.
Dear Steven:

I think the author interview page looks good and you surely did a great interview!!

In fact, you now have me hooked on the book!! Promise me you will lock yourself up in a space ship and finsih the saga!! I think you are onto something.

Jenifer and the Webmaster deserve the credit for the fancy stuff. YOU deserve our thanks for getting all of us hooked on the saga!!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Steven
I am coming up with a lot of nonsense characters (wrapped around words and phrases) in various EPUB Viewers (Calibre, Sigil, EPUBREADER and the PEz
Sample phrase: (page 6/192)
Who are they?

Stuff before and After
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:28 PM   #8
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

TheDucks: Just double checked it in Calibre, and it looks fine. Others are seeing it just fine as well. Check your system and see if you've got font issues.

Robertb: Thanks. I think you guys will really enjoy it. ^_^ I'm actually picking away at book 5 right now.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
TheDucks: Just double checked it in Calibre, and it looks fine. Others are seeing it just fine as well. Check your system and see if you've got font issues.

Robertb: Thanks. I think you guys will really enjoy it. ^_^ I'm actually picking away at book 5 right now.
Just re-downloaded the file onto on my Ubuntu machine
Same thing as My Windows system and PEz

EDIT Add:
OK I went to your Web site and downloaded the Sample PDF
The problem characters appear to be the opening and closing Quotes (UTF-8) that some how got mangled in the EPUB conversion.
I don't see a language declaration that might control what set gets used

Last edited by theducks; 08-16-2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just re-downloaded the file onto on my Ubuntu machine
Same thing as My Windows system and PEz

EDIT Add:
OK I went to your Web site and downloaded the Sample PDF
The problem characters appear to be the opening and closing Quotes (UTF-8) that some how got mangled in the EPUB conversion.
I don't see a language declaration that might control what set gets used
I can confirm that I saw that exact same character encoding problem too. The book also does not pass EPUBCHECK without errors. Since the book was free and without DRM I got it fixed up so that it was readable, but a book for sale should really not have these kinds of errors in them.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 04:59 AM   #11
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I can confirm that I saw that exact same character encoding problem too. The book also does not pass EPUBCHECK without errors. Since the book was free and without DRM I got it fixed up so that it was readable, but a book for sale should really not have these kinds of errors in them.
Did you check the one that he put up on MR? It's also ePub. I'm enjoying it so far.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:23 AM   #12
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Did you check the one that he put up on MR? It's also ePub. I'm enjoying it so far.
I just looked at the copy I downloaded from MR a week or so ago and it opens in Calibre without any error, however the copy from EZRead.com comes up with python script errors. Havent tried opening the one from EZRead on my PP yet.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 AM   #13
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Did you check the one that he put up on MR? I'm enjoying it so far.
Yes, I just tried that one too, thanks to your suggestion.

It has the same character encoding errors, so it depends on what reader you use to read it since some readers are compensating for the errors. The book looks OK in the PC versions of Calibre, CoolReader 3 and ADE, but the encoding error becomes easily visible in EpubReader or Sigil. If the HTML is extracted from the EPUB, it looks bad in the Firefox, IE, and Chrome browsers. It appears that the book is specifying the UTF-8 character encoding set but is actually using a different character encoding set, possibly windows-1252?
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The EZRead free one is the one we are talking about .
I clicked "Meet the Author" and clicked Download (got RAR file, mostly redundant, since EPUB is a Zipped format and additional compression gains are small) on my Windows XP system. Used WinRAR to un-pack.

I repeated the download on my Linux system.
Same resulting display.
The Sample (PDF) is what I compared to, to figure out what chars were farkled up .
Old 05-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #15
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author

Well, is there any easy way to fix that? This hasn't come up as a problem until just now.