Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-02-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
rammbam
Enthusiast
rammbam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which ebook reader meets this criteria?

I've got 300$,and I'll probably have no many chances to buy and test different devices,so I need to make the best choice.

Here is what Im looking for:

VERY IMPORTANT FEATURES

1:Reader with no eye strain! For me the health is number 1.I need reader that is easy for the eyes in any environment,especially reading outside.

2:Ability to highlight parts of the text.

3:Fast loading and turning pages

4:No "gentle" device. I've heard Kindle is very gentle and u may find it broken,even when keeping ur eyes on it.

5: Dictionary (English-English)
-------------------------------------------
LESS IMPORTANT FEATURES

1:Long battery life (at least 20 hours)

2:Multitasking (want to hear audio while reading)

3:Easy interface.Dont like to get confused or no not what to do.

-----------------------------------------------
NOT IMPORTANT FEATURES

1:Internet connectivity(Need only to read books ,not surf the net)

2: Document formats dont matter

3: Touchscreen

-----------------------------------------
I need advice from ppl who already had experience,not someone who only reads reviews.Thanx in advance

Last edited by rammbam; 05-02-2010 at 03:18 PM.
rammbam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Kore
Enthusiast
Kore began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-350
I am relatively new to eReaders, and I only know about the "mainstream" models. I just bought one reader myself, and it was a hard decision.

I went with the Sony Reader Touch Edition (PRS-600).
1. It makes use of eInk so it won't strain your eye.
2. The PRS-600 is THE reader with the best highlight/annotations features.
3. I haven't received mine yet (damn UPS!), so I can't say anything about this.

1. I think all eInk readers have decent battery life now days.
2. Again, I don't know about this one yet.
3. PRS-600 has the easiest interface ever, since it has a touch screen (imo).

1. No internet, but I think it's a good choice. Internet with eInk screens would be... gross.
2. Sony Reader has a broad file format compatibility (even word documents!).
3. Yes!

May I add. Newegg (newegg.com) has the PRS-600 $50 cheaper than the official price, so you'd only be spending $250 (free shipping, no taxes).

Also, an important thing that helped me with my decision, is the fact that Sony has embraced the ePub file format. Because of this, you can make full use of Google Books, as well as Adobe Digital Editions which enable you to borrow eBooks from libraries!
Kore is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
I'm not positive I understand your comment about no gentle devices?

The only problem I am aware of on the Kindle is that it uses the same glass e-ink screen used by other readers. The e-ink screen has been known to break if dropped.

However, e-ink is what gives you daylight reading, long battery life, and easy on the eyes. So, if you rule out e-ink you also lose the other capabilities.

My personal experience is that the Kindle has been fine. My K2 has survived a few bobbles whereas my previous e-ink device by another company broke after one fall. I'm not sure if that is just good luck on the K2 or if it does a better job protecting the screen.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
rammbam
Enthusiast

Obviously there isnt a perfect ebook reader,but I ll tell u why I dont like the Kindle and Sony prs 600. Kindle doesnt have annotation or highlight feature which is very essential for me,and Sony Prs 600 doesnt have dictionary included which i forgot to mention is also important for me,but thats not main reason why i dont like PRS600.The main reason is the glare on its screen which for me is big issue.

From Sony series ,I think best screen has 505,and from others suprisingly for me were the positive reviews of Ectaco Jetbook LCD screen,and if it had anything to highlight the text i would have decided for it.

As far as now BeBook meets my criteria,but as one guy mentioned it looks and feels "cheap",and thats not what i want.

Btw..thanx for ur replies! Waiting for other thoughts...
Old 05-02-2010, 03:32 PM   #5
Kore
Enthusiast

rammbam, the PRS-600 has built-in dictionary.

You might wanna watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWl60GNcQIw

Last edited by Kore; 05-02-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Advert
Old 05-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #6
rammbam
Enthusiast

Oh,sorry! I really dont know how i missed that,and Im impressed by what i have seen.
The only issue that remained problematic is that annoying glare.I really care too much for my eyes Do u have better solution?
Old 05-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #7
Kore
Enthusiast

Well, since I haven't received mine yet, I can't say for certain how bad it is. But based on a few youtube videos and user reviews here on the forums, it doesn't seem that bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOoLX0nzf1U (this one is in german, but you get to see the screen outdoors)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHu0FuoQSAU (at about 5 minutes he talks about glare)

I think it really depends if you have the light directly against it or not. I shouldn't be too hard to find a comfy position without glare.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
The Kindle doesn't have annotation or highlighting features? Since when? There are people pitching hissy fits over on the Kindle boards because Amazon is collecting statistics on the most frequently highlighted Kindle book passages, even though all the highlights data is anonymous and no one's personal notes are being lifted.

Also, my Kindle has survived a few short falls with no damage, so it's not all that fragile. I'm still careful with it, but I haven't managed to break the screen yet on the few occasions when it happens to slide off the edge of my chair and land on the rug. It could be that the Kindle and I are just lucky, though.

Last edited by NNolan; 05-02-2010 at 04:40 PM.
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 05:02 PM   #9
rammbam
Enthusiast

NNolan thank u so much! I think thats it! My favourite now is Kindle2.However I ll wait to see if somebody can change my mind)
Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #10
Kore
Enthusiast

You know that the Kindle can only use books that are bought in Amazon, right?

Almost every other reader can make use of Google Books and public libraries, as well as a lot of eBook stores on the internet.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #11
rammbam
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kore View Post
You know that the Kindle can only use books that are bought in Amazon, right?

Almost every other reader can make use of Google Books and public libraries, as well as a lot of eBook stores on the internet.
How u mean? If I deliver ebook from my PC to Kindle i cant read it?
I have very very huge electronic library,but of course nothing is bought in Amazon or any other website

If thats true what u say,that would be a disaster
Old 05-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
Kore
Enthusiast

I am pretty sure of it. Might wanna check with a Kindle owner to make sure, though.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
rammbam
Enthusiast

Plz check and reply! Even if its so,there must be some way to bypass that limitation.
If not,then thats the last reader i would buy.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:41 PM   #14
NNolan
Compulsive Gadget Geek
NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NNolan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: One of each, and two in some cases
The Kindle can read any non-DRMed Mobi files (which are available from places like Baen, and Books On Board, I think. I've only used Baen so far), plus it's own DRMed Mobi files (.azw and .azw1) and TXT files. Non-DRMed files in other formats like ePub can be converted to regular Mobi and loaded onto a Kindle; you can find instructions for it by poking around Mobile Read. You can find instructions for converting just about anything into just about anything else around here. I've been meaning to play around with Calibre and convert some of my Google Books ePub files to Mobi but I haven't gotten around to it yet. So many eReaders, so little time....
NNolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #15
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Check out the Onyx Boox and the BeBook Neo although with shipping they may get over $300.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote