Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #1
ckole
Enthusiast
ckole began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook Feature Wish List

For those that have the Nook what do you want to see changed on the device?

I will start with these:

- Ability to delete content on the device. (Magazines, Previews, etc)

- PDF Support - Provide ability to go to a page number yes the page number may be carried over multiple screens due to the PDF size but at least give me an easy way to get there. Many PDF have a TOC that is not compatible with the device in terms of links. However, the page numbers listed could be easily used with a Go To Page function.

- Folder support with folder lists on the device. Yes you can create folders on the device but when viewed on the Nook it expands everything out. It would be nice to see things like My Books, My Magazines, My Newspapers and not see a long list of content.

- Remove the requirement to press the READ button. Have a setting that gets rid of the preview screen. Yes I clicked on the item and yes I want to read it. Just take me to the item without this extra step

- Provide an ability to sort the My Documents section of the device by type, name, date added, etc

Hopefully the Nook developers read this forum or will provide a good way to submit feature requests.

The Nook is a good device. It isn't perfect. I don't think the perfect device exists and since we all have different requirements and tastes it is hard to please everyone.

I also look forward to the day when they can create a non-glare touch screen device. I might even be willing to use a pen. Being an iPhone user you can see the benefits of being able to select something on a screen vs the device interface.
ckole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
adfleisher
Enthusiast
adfleisher doesn't litteradfleisher doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 360, Nook
My wish list is easy. So easy that I just assumed it would work. Surprise, it doesn't. My mind is boggled, but the titles, authors, and all information for my books downloaded TONIGHT to my new nook from eReader.com, a site owned by Barnes and Noble, using the same .prc file format as the nook store(!!!) do not open or display properly on the nook. Am I crazy to have thought this would work? I've got a library going back to the early 90's when it was still peanut press, but the books titles are garbled, and they are trying to format forever without opening.

I'm baffled.
adfleisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:31 PM   #4
Not_A_Crook
Which way is up?
Not_A_Crook has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nook, Alphasmart Neo (word processor, Viable document reader.)
psst... I hate to say this guys, but the guy above me (ocean) isn't very good at leaving square one... If you are familiar with what I mean.

Anyways, I sure hope you can customize the navigational icon on the color screen.
Not_A_Crook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:47 AM   #5
rwizard
Connoisseur
rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rwizard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone, waiting for reviews on the Notionink Adam
Actually it seems that some, if not all of the books on B&N are EPUB at this point; however, the PRC files are also supposed to work the last time I checked.
rwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-10-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
I wish for Xmas:

-Nook Firmware update to speed things up a bit. Though it is more than usable right now (version 1.0 firmware out of the box), a little speed up would be nice.

-Software you could run on your home computer that would send stuff to your Nook over your local WiFi network (books, document, music, etc), maybe it would also let you delete stuff/manage files on your nook and do ePub conversions for you. I think they could even sell this as a "premium service" if it was good enough.

-Better battery life (see firmware upgrade), seems like it's burning through juice pretty darned fast with WiFi on. Maybe it should default to shutting off WiFi when it's not needed and only check actively for a connection unrequested intermittently. Anyone observe behavior like this yet? Seems like if I have WiFi on, it's on all the time.

-the ability to email documents (with automated conversion to ePub)to your Nook sort of like Kindle's Whispernet (I think that's what they call it). It'd be nice to be able to email yourself word documents, text documents, captured HTML pages, etc. I think Kindle charges by the MB for this service, not sure if it's a money maker but it's an added revenue stream.

-Ability to set your own RSS feeds to be sent to your Nook, I think the Kindle can do this (but Amazon charges extra for it).

-Ability for the Nook to remember font/text size preferences per book.

-Get rid of the extra "Read" prompt when you've selected a book to read, you can show the detail information during the inherent delay while the book is formatting in the background automatically.

-Ability to change fonts/text sizes in the stuff that shows up in the Daily section.

-Longer than 1 hour of reading/browsing time while using free Wireless in a BN store.

-and hoping beyond hope...a rudimentary Web Browser or RSS reader.

Otherwise, I'm really digging this thing. It's a nice step up on my trusty PRS-500 which was getting a bit long in the tooth.

Dave
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:21 AM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I would second the folders/ sort by request. I'm sure other things will come to mind as I use it more, but that's the most obvious thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:28 AM   #8
DaveNB
Connoisseur
DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.DaveNB has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770 (FBReader)
According to a post on BN's Nook support forums, they have a firmware fix in the works for the constant "Formatting" delay/message you whenever you access a eBook. I'm assuming it's only supposed to happen the first time you open a book. That'll be a nice fix. Here's hoping their firmware bugfix gets released soon.

Looked around for a "Submit Feedback" link, only could find this:
nook@barnesandnoble.com

Wonder if our little helpful suggestions sent there (in sufficient numbers) would be of any influence/help?

Dave

Last edited by DaveNB; 12-10-2009 at 09:31 AM.
DaveNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:34 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I have an easy one: screenshots. The Kindle has this (as an undocumented feature). There probably is a screenshot program on the device, because the User Guide includes at least one set of screenshots, so perhaps all that is needed is a hack or a firmware rummage.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #10
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My request is a real hack:

1. ability to display Thai language e-book correctly
2. ability to work with any GSM sim card
3. ability to set time manually
4. why I still cannot register my nook (in Thailand) via home wifi hotspot?

Thank you

Last edited by bthoven; 01-06-2010 at 10:31 PM.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #11
eclipxe
eclipxe began at the beginning.

PDB files, not PRC files.
eclipxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:22 AM   #12
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
I'd like the option of swapping next/prev page buttons, of course ability to load epubs onto nook from my computer over wifi and I really hoped they'd have more periodicals I could subscribe to -- that's the whole point of having 3g *and* wifi, isn't it?

Oh, and get Fuzzykinz an SDK already, I'd love to see what other brilliant people can do with the hardware!

Last edited by stangri; 12-13-2009 at 12:23 PM.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Fuzzykinz
Lover of things fuzzeh
Fuzzykinz began at the beginning.

Device: BN nook, iPod touch second gen
1. Swap the forward/back buttons

2. Ability to sort books

3. Print free money

4. An SDK, so people like myself can have fun hunched over a keyboard.

I don't ask for much. >.>
Fuzzykinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 01:07 PM   #14
Starearedkid
Starearedkid is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Not really softwarre related at all,

But I would love for them to come with a cheapo cover. As it stands now, when I got mine the other day--I desperately need a cover. If I actually had time to run out to B&N this weekend--I would have picked one up immediately.

Other little things:

Being able to search my documents--I have a lot of free stuff on there, and would love to be able to search through it.

Having a password option when it turns on, or goes out of sleep mode. I love this with my IPOD touch, because if something ever happens to it, I know that they couldn't access my account. I would love that for the Nook as well.
Starearedkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #15
gulo
Enthusiast
gulo is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
-same options for sideloaded books as the books purchased from B&N

-zoom and rotate on PDF

-RSS reader

-wireless access to Wikipedia (with formatting optimized for Nook)

and of course ability to add apps ! but I think that's a no brainer
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote