Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2009, 11:00 PM   #1
Insomnic
Insomnic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Hangs when getting list of books on device

Hello, I've had a good experience using Calibre but recently I tried to transfer some new books over and it hangs at the "Get list of books on device" job. I can't cancel it without ejecting the device (which requires a Calibre shutdown).

It seems like it is hanging on trying to read a particular book because it scans through my azw books but then just ... hangs. The progress bar continues to move until it fills the bar but the "remaining time" just continues to rise. Is there any way I can find out what book it is hanging on without going one by one? I have a couple hundred books on here.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Insomnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Insomnic

Okay. I figured it out. It was some very large PDF files. Something about their nature hangs up Calibre. They are images converted to PDF using Irfanview (manga scanlations). I'll try something other than Irfanview to convert and see if the problem remains.
Advert
Old 12-18-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
You have two options to speed up reading the files on the device. Disable the PDF metadata reader plugin. Or also in plugins, go to the plugin for your device and uncheck read metadata.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
Insomnic

It seems to be the PDFs I specifically created from those images via Irfanview. Other PDFs seem to be just fine. I'll convert a bit differently I guess and hopefully that will work it out. Better yet - hopefully the picture viewer bug will be resolved soon and I won't have to worry about it.
Old 10-06-2016, 11:25 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
the previous post was from 2009.

Necro posting is frowned upon because so much changes in a short time, so as to render responses a wasted effort.
Please look at the date of the post (and observe the Warning that should have appeared on a thread this old)

Calibre has even a faster cycle, so 6 months is considered 'OLD' (but you won't get the board level warning)

BTW Norton has changed a lot since 2009.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert