Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 06:03 PM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thumbs up PRS-600 vs PRS-700 Photos

There have been a lot of comparisons already between the PRS-505 and the PRS-600 but the purpose of this trip was to see how much of an improvement the PRS-600 was over the older PRS-700.

I took a trip to my local Sonystyle store today, toting my PRS-505 and PRS-700 to compare to the new models. My first stop (10 minutes away) the clerk said that Sony recalled their shipment to insert a missing warranty card and that they hadn't even opened any boxes. I should have called ahead.

My second stop (30 minutes away) they had lots of PRS-300's and PRS-600's in stock. They had no problem with me taking comparison photos. So much choice in colours too!

My impression was that the PRS-600 screen was definitely clearer and had less glare than the PRS-700, even though the photos might not show it (I did the best I could). The PRS-600 had a slight advantage in that they had an ePub book which seemed to have a bolder font. When looking at the home page, you can definitely see the blacker blacks and sharper edges on the PRS-600. Removing the layer required for the sidelights made a definite improvement. The PRS-600 is on the left in all photos.

In my opinion, if the benchmark PRS-505 is rated a 10.0 and the PRS-700 was rated a 5.0 I would put the PRS-600 right in the middle at 7.5 and definitely recommend it for readability plus the dictionary and annotations functions.

I'll try to post some pics of the PRS-300 vs PRS-505 in another post. (The PRS-300 is soooo cute, even without any memory cards!)

WDE.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00999.JPG
Views:	4425
Size:	543.6 KB
ID:	34981   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01003.JPG
Views:	3583
Size:	586.9 KB
ID:	34982   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01005.JPG
Views:	3998
Size:	604.9 KB
ID:	34983  
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
It does appears to be a definite improvement. My interest level, has now moved from not at all to ... requires further investigation.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thank you wde ! you can really see an improvement in those photos. i can't wait to get my hot little hands on one in person !!
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #4
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Nice pics! I'd say that's a significantly better screen, although I've never had a problem with the clarity of my 700.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
notsure
Zealot
notsure has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-350
Thanks for this WDE!

Still see no reason to change my 505 though.
notsure is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
spirit_wolf
_^^~
spirit_wolf is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad 2, PRS-505, PRS-600
Wetdogeared, thanks for the "intel" and photos on 600 vs. 700. This is lifting my mood a bit after having just seen the 600 vs. 505 videos.
spirit_wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #7
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
WDE, Thanks so much for posting the pics. I was feeling kind of disappointed when others had posted the clarity wasn't any better, but now I am totally excited about the 600. You've really made my day.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #8
formerroadie
Bada Bing
formerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enoughformerroadie will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Thanks! Good pictures.
formerroadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:50 PM   #9
el.astrologo
Groupie
el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.el.astrologo has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-700BC
Thanks good job!
el.astrologo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
Daki
Daki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-booksDaki has learned how to read e-books

Device: Ipad
My husband went to the Atlanta Sony style store today to see if the screen on the 600 would be acceptable. He bought the 700 last spring, but was disappointed in the glare and contrast. I ended up taking it over, since I mainly read at night and love the convenience of the built in light and the touch screen (I also have a Cybook).

Anyway, The contrast on 600 really is a lot better than the 700, but the background is not quite as light and crisp as the Cybook. The 600 does have a little bit more glare than the Cybook, but it's not excessive.

Anyway, here are my pictures. It's really hard to take accurate pictures of the glare and/or lack. I can also try taking pictures of a pdf document in daylight if anyone is interested.

supersized pictures available here:
http://www.dakiri.com/Other/sony-600...31440976_Br2TV
Daki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:06 PM   #11
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thanks for adding more photos Daki.

Wetdogeared (WDE)
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #12
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
This thing is definitely looking better than the first video or two that came out. I'm hoping the Daily Reader looks as good, but don't see any reason why it wouldn't. Thanks for posting the pictures.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #13
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I plan to stop by my local Sony store tonight to look at the 300 and 600. I have had my 505 for 18 months but want to try something new and like the changes they have made for the 600.

If I purchase a new reader I plan to sell my 505. No reason to keep it for nostalgic value.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Hiker
Hiker began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Cybook Opus
I'm greatly tempted to try out the 600, thanks for the research.
Hiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 01:14 PM   #15
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Thanks for all the pics everyone! I am going to sell my Kindle 2 on ebay so I can buy a 600. I never liked the K2 much anyway. I am a bit sad that the Sony claim to lower book prices to 9.99 is limited to best sellers, though.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote