Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Harry Potter comes to your iTunes

With all the fuss around the latest Harry Potter novel and the fact that Mrs Rowling has always spoken against the release of an electronic Potter release, it comes to us as a surprise that Apple now managed to secure exclusive rights for the official audiobooks on iTunes. That's definitely cool; but where is my e-book?

[via Yahoo and DigitalTechLife]
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 05:42 PM   #2
Pride Of Lions
just kinda geeky
Pride Of Lions began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Apparently it's a better bet to tie oneself to iTunes' DRM than to tie oneself to one of the various and myriad eBook DRM's out there.
POL9A
Pride Of Lions is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2005, 10:08 PM   #3
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
And I guess iTunes has "proven" itself as a valid marketing tool for music, and has a "safe" reputation (however misguided that might be ).

Hopefully this might open the way for further concessions...

Craig.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #4
jadedboi
jadedboi began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3G, iPad
ummm... this is all very well and good, but has anybody seen the pricing on these audiobooks? who wants to pay 300.00 for the entire set, let alone 40-60 bucks for a single volume? personally i'll buy the paperbacks for a fraction of the cost and read, thanks.

given that the cost for duplicating a cd is ridiculously low compared to the cost of publishing a book, this seems like highway robbery.
jadedboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:48 PM   #5
Brian
MobileRead Editor
Brian has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Treo 700p, Zodiac2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadedboi
ummm... this is all very well and good, but has anybody seen the pricing on these audiobooks? who wants to pay 300.00 for the entire set, let alone 40-60 bucks for a single volume? personally i'll buy the paperbacks for a fraction of the cost and read, thanks.

given that the cost for duplicating a cd is ridiculously low compared to the cost of publishing a book, this seems like highway robbery.
For Potter fans who haven't read all of the books, don't have the time to sit down and read thousands of pages, and who prefer to optimize their commute by listening to audiobooks or other spoken-word content (like podcasts), I think this will be welcome news. When you consider the price of comparable audiobooks, I don't think the price is unreasonable.
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
Flipper
Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: Loox 720, Treo 650
The pricing is outrageous! It may be 40-50 dollars to buy in the US, but if you buy in the UK the latter two are 40-55 UK pounds (i.e. up to 100 US dollars). They won't be added to my ipod I'm afraid.
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 08:27 PM   #7
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper
The pricing is outrageous! It may be 40-50 dollars to buy in the US, but if you buy in the UK the latter two are 40-55 UK pounds (i.e. up to 100 US dollars). They won't be added to my ipod I'm afraid.
Where did find these prices? I haven't seen them mentioned in the original article.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
Flipper
Flipper began at the beginning.

Device: Loox 720, Treo 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow
Where did find these prices? I haven't seen them mentioned in the original article.
I looked them up in iTunes.
Flipper is offline   Reply With Quote