Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-04-2009, 06:44 PM   #16
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTH View Post
tremendous migth mean in numbers not in time... increased production or 3 a large warehouse full of kindle 2 could lower the expected delivery time.

They cant have a price higher than 400 but 399 could very well be possibe, I mean, 300-something is the standard price for a e-reader these days. If they go in to the 400s people will feel it much more expensive than sony ect but if they stay on 399 people will think it is about the same price.

Hopefully we will know on monday
That's just a marketing ploy that, in my opinion, doesn't really work. Intelligent/smart people know that $399 is not $300. People wise in the ways of the world - the public - know that $399 might as well be $400, for all practical purposes.

I do agree with you that it appeals to some psychological make-up in some people, but we shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking that $399 is somehow "related" to $300.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:58 PM   #17
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
I would not spend $400 dollars on a reader. But two for $800 now thats a different story.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I would not spend $400 dollars on a reader. But two for $800 now thats a different story.
You better smile when you say that!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
My father in law does alot of flea markets and stuff. He will put a sign up that says something like:

$5 Each or 3 for $20 (not this blatantly easy to figure out though)

And people will buy 3 and pay $20. They are to lazy to calculate it out.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 PM   #20
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
My father in law does alot of flea markets and stuff. He will put a sign up that says something like:

$5 Each or 3 for $20 (not this blatantly easy to figure out though)

And people will buy 3 and pay $20. They are to lazy to calculate it out.

BOb
Over on the Amazon Kindle discussions page, there is a whole thread with people thrilled to pay 80cents for the following

"Heads up, sword & sorcery/fantasy fans. "Savage Stories of Conan", a collection of eighteen Robert E. Howard novels featuring the great pulp era writer's Conan the Barbarian character, is available for only 80 cents on the Kindl"e. Search the author or the title and you'll find it easily. And it's beautifully formatted with nice cover art and two handy linked Tables of Contents, one listing the novels in the order they appeared, and the other listing the stories in the order they happened to the character. A great, great bargain. There are similar huge, inexpensive collections featuring Edgar Rice Burroughs and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle stories, too. Just thought I'd give fellow Kindlers a heads up."

Now, even tho I and others have posted you can get all these for free, and I've included linke to here, this is the type of answer being posted.

"I also downloaded these for free, but for 80 cents I can see it being worthwhile for some people to get it via Amazon...They dont have to spend any time searching, or even moving the file to their Kindle. So while I would recommend the freebie version because I'm cheap, I can see it being worth the 80 cents to some people.

Also, I appreciate anyone who tries to bring bargains to our attention! Gotta love getting a deal."

and

" I agree. I'd gladly have them all under one listing on my Kindle. .80 cents is a very small price to pay. I tried to find some of them for free and it was not easy. Combined with the time to download and covert 18 files, worth every penny-LOL"

and

Yeah, I wouldn't pay $9.99 for it, but the convenience of a single download for all those books is definitely worth $.80.

Remeber, I posted links to here and feedbooks.com And here is my post

You can find the same thing, also beautifully formatted, with TOC links, on mobileread.com or feedbooks.com, for FREE. Also available are thousands of other books, also for free.

Paying for these books is just.....wrong.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2009, 09:26 PM   #21
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Ack! The red! The colorblind girl's eyes hurt!

lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:27 PM   #22
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Ack! The red! The colorblind girl's eyes hurt!

sorry. I wanted to make sure you realized they were quotes.

You're colorblind?

which way?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:33 PM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I bought a few Star Trek books. They were a $1 more at Amazon than I could have got them for at S&S web site. But, it was worth it to me to not have to go to my PC (can't get LIT on the Mac)... run convert lit, run lit2mobi then copy them to my Mac... then put them on my Kindle.

So, I can sort of understand paying $.80 to get them. Then again, once you've got the Feedbook d/l guide you can get stuff really easily. I get most of my PD stuff from there. I've gotta get the MR guide on my Kindle some day, but since I have the fb guide I haven't seen the need.

BOB
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 PM   #24
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
People perceive cost as equaling value, too... There's been some studies on it, but people associate paying for it with value.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #25
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

You're colorblind?

which way?

Red/Green. I can read it, but it hurts my eyes. Don't know why. Mine's not too bad though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:45 PM   #26
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

At any rate, I'm gonna order one and see what happens. I can always refuse the upgrade or cancel my order...
Old 02-04-2009, 09:46 PM   #27
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
You can use [quote ][/quote] tags to mark quotes coming from elswhere. Or just highlight the part you want quoted and click the quote button () in the reply form.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
People perceive cost as equaling value, too... There's been some studies on it, but people associate paying for it with value.
Normally, the "you get what you pay for" analogy is pretty spot on.

In mobileread and feedbook's case, however, it just isn't so.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:47 PM   #29
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
You can use [quote ]
tags to mark quotes coming from elswhere. Or just highlight the part you want quoted and click the quote button () in the reply form.[/QUOTE]

okay, thanks.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:07 PM   #30
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

Yeah. I always look for things on Feedbooks, here, etc. before I buy the Amazon version (even if it is cheap.)