Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 01-18-2009, 05:36 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Best way to do a TOC for large numbers of entries?

Does anyone have any thoughts on a good way to create a TOC for a large number of small items?

As you may have noticed, I'm currently creating omnibus editions of Shakespeare's complete works, split into four volumes (tragedies, histories, comedies, and poetry). The poetry is the issue, specifically the "Sonnets", of which there are 154.

Given that there will be one per page, what I'd though of doing was to simply create a TOC entry for every 10th one - ie 1, 11, 21, etc. This would result in 16 TOC entries, and you'd need to move backwards or forwards a maximum of 5 pages to locate a particular sonnet.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution, or does anyone have any better ideas?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Well, you could create a list with no line breaks:

Sonnets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...

where each number is a link. The problem with the Cybook is that you must cycle through all the links, one by one, in order to reach the one you want. But in systems with a pointing device or spatial navigation it would be much more convenient.
Jellby is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
I had the same problem with the book I just uploaded (Gustav Schwab). I didn't really find a solution, but what I did was split up the book in parts (but that was quite convenient for me as there were different themes) and add to the depth of the TOC (there are like 200 legends in there all in all)
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Normally, I'd do a hierarchical TOC for this number of items, but as I don't think the sonnets group in any sensible way, this won't work.

I would use TOC entries like "Sonnets 1-10", "Sonnets 11-20", ..., so that people don't wonder where to find sonnets 2-10 etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Given that there will be one per page, what I'd though of doing was to simply create a TOC entry for every 10th one - ie 1, 11, 21, etc. This would result in 16 TOC entries, and you'd need to move backwards or forwards a maximum of 5 pages to locate a particular sonnet.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
That is what I did and was meaning to say in my clumsy way.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2009, 07:02 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Well, you could create a list with no line breaks:

Sonnets: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ...

where each number is a link. The problem with the Cybook is that you must cycle through all the links, one by one, in order to reach the one you want. But in systems with a pointing device or spatial navigation it would be much more convenient.
Exactly - that's why it won't work on the CyBook. That approach would work on the Sony, which has "two dimensional" hyperlink navigation.

I think I'll do it as I originally proposed, but with the suggested revision that the TOC entries say "Sonnets 1-10", etc.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote