Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-23-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
greggdecker
greggdecker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Returned Sony PRS 700, Want to use Laptop

I received the PRS 700 and like many buyers I was disappointed with the screen. I won't get into it here because it has already been posted to death.
I do wish I would have read the forums before I ordered it. I am wondering if there are any threads about making the laptop more comfortable for e-book reading. I have a small eee pc Asus 701 laptop with a seven inch screen and would like to know if there is a particular background color, font, texture,etc. that will make reading more pleasurable on a computer screen.

ThanX

Gregg
greggdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
JGB
Groupie
JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505
have you thought about picking up a used prs-500, you'd save a pile of dough and have a dedicated reader

I'm much happier with mine then with a laptop(converted an old school powerbook to a dedicated ebook reader)
the screen just doesn't work for long reading IMO.
I found a dark background with light text worked best for me, and a fairly rounded font(I think I used the one recommended as being easiest for reading on the sony on the laptop also)
JGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 08:35 AM   #3
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
When I read on my Eee 701, I use FBReader, use the defaults for fonts, etc, but rotate the screen 90 degrees. The rotation gives me the feel of reading a big hard back book. Before I got my Sony 505 and iPod Touch, I read on it a lot. Now, I rarely bother, mainly because 3 hours on a battery charge is just not enough for an ebook reader!
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 08:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Laptops honestly don't make very good eBook readers. I have one of those "mini notebooks" too - a "Dell Inspiron Mini 9". Superb machine for mobile web browsing, e-mail, etc, but I very quickly abandoned any intention of using it as an eBook reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:55 AM   #5
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
If you want something very portable with hi res, get a Nokia N800. It's not too expensive and works well with fb2. If you use a Nokia N800, be sure to load the 3rd party software that gives you greater control over the brightness. That way, you can set the brightness low enough to read it in a dark room at night.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There are other e-ink readers you could try. The 700's screen does not represent them all.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:31 PM   #7
greggdecker
greggdecker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
I finally decided to buy the PRS 505, I am much happier with the crispness of the text as opposed to the PRS 700.
greggdecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Glad you found a reader that works for you.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asus, eee, laptop